collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves tree DNR worker in Okanogan county  (Read 75526 times)

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Wolves tree DNR worker in Okanogan county
« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2018, 03:11:34 AM »
Folks,  I can't believe that this thread has gone on so many pages. The truth is that the true facts of this incident will probably never be known, if WDFW had been able to call off the helicopter we most likely wouldn't know what we do, as the WDFW has been downplaying the wolf information for a long, long time. If you bring it up to WDFW upper-management they tend to get rather defensive and uncomfortable.  At least they will admit that the yearly count numbers they publish are only a guess.

The only thing that I found in this thread that I don't understand is the comparison of Idaho to Washington. Sure there have not been a bunch of wolf/human incidents in Idaho that I have heard of, but to put a little balance on the subject, Idaho has roughly 16 people per square mile, Washington has roughly 97 people per square mile. Which state has the better chance of wolf/human interaction?  :twocents:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
Folks,  I can't believe that this thread has gone on so many pages. The truth is that the true facts of this incident will probably never be known, if WDFW had been able to call off the helicopter we most likely wouldn't know what we do, as the WDFW has been downplaying the wolf information for a long, long time. If you bring it up to WDFW upper-management they tend to get rather defensive and uncomfortable.  At least they will admit that the yearly count numbers they publish are only a guess.

The only thing that I found in this thread that I don't understand is the comparison of Idaho to Washington. Sure there have not been a bunch of wolf/human incidents in Idaho that I have heard of, but to put a little balance on the subject, Idaho has roughly 16 people per square mile, Washington has roughly 97 people per square mile. Which state has the better chance of wolf/human interactifon?  :twocents:

Leave the Seattle area out, and the people per square mile isn't that different. 

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #407 on: July 22, 2018, 03:01:34 PM »

The only thing that I found in this thread that I don't understand is the comparison of Idaho to Washington. Sure there have not been a bunch of wolf/human incidents in Idaho that I have heard of, but to put a little balance on the subject, Idaho has roughly 16 people per square mile, Washington has roughly 97 people per square mile. Which state has the better chance of wolf/human interaction?  :twocents:

Actually in Idaho there are more wolf/human incidents than are published, I think a larger percentage of the people are taking care of situations themselves, I've heard of numerous situations where people just dealt with the wolves.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
The idea that there are more wolf/human incidents than we know about is very possible, the difference is in Idaho it's because the people take care of it themselves, and in Washington the WDFW tries to suppress the information, IMHO.

Most of the states population my live west of the mountains, but a large part of the people on the west side recreate on the east side.

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
Just when I thought this thread had run its course, More grist for the mill.

WDFW resisted sending copter, sheriff to save woman treed by wolves

DNR pushes back, makes swift rescue  -  By DON JENKINS  -  Capital Press

Washington wildlife managers initially opposed sending a helicopter or a search-and-rescue team to save a woman treed by wolves in the Okanogan- Wenatchee National Forest, according to recordings and summaries of emergency calls obtained Tuesday.

The Department of Natural Resources pushed back and prepared to dispatch an air crew that eventually executed a swift rescue. Notes from a call between DNR dispatcher Jill Jones and a wildlife officer summarized WDFW’s position, and her position, shortly before the helicopter launched.

“No helicopter. Federally listed species 3 WDFW personnel saying so,” according to DNR’s call log.

“We are more concerned for her life than the listed animal,” Jones told the officer. “He indicated that she is safe up in the tree. ... I told him that we do not know how safe she is. I don’t know how stout the tree is, and if the limbs will continue to hold her or how long she can hold on.”

Minutes later, WDFW and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service officials, at the request of DNR wildfire supervisor Chuck Turley, OK’d an air rescue. Within a half hour, the woman was safe in the DNR helicopter piloted by Devin Gooch. The wolves had scattered as Gooch flew overhead before landing in a meadow.

reaching the woman by foot would have taken two to three hours, officials estimated.  The swift air rescue ended a hectic 45 minutes in which state, federal and local agencies discussed what to do.

WDFW wolf policy coordinator Donny Martorello said Wednesday that wildlife biologists familiar with wolf behavior thought the woman was not in immediate danger. “I think from their lens they were thinking there was a simpler solution,” he said.

“To tell the helicopter not to go was not the right call, and we have to own that,” Martorello said. “The right call was to send the helicopter. It goes without saying we value human life over everything else.”

Okanogan County, in north-central Washington, has had relatively few wolf incidents compared to Ferry and Stevens counties to the east. Sheriff Frank Rogers said the incident went “sideways,” leaving him angry that WDFW told the county’s search-and rescue team to “stand down.”

The next day, a federal biologist warned deputies hiking to view the scene of the incident to not harass wolves, he said.

“I don’t know who’s making the calls and telling us we can’t be involved. You can’t tell me not to be involved. It’s my county,” Rogers said. “Whether it’s wolves or a guy with a gun, we’re going to go.”   Rogers said that he wanted deputies to do a follow-up investigation to assess the threat to public safety.  “I just don’t want another incident,” he said. “All we want to know is what we’re dealing with.”

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service spokeswoman Ann Froschauer said the federal agency has no opposition to the sheriff’s office doing its own investigation. “It’s certainly the role of local law enforcement,” she said.  Authorities have not released the woman’s name, citing her wish to not be identified. “We would love to talk to the woman,” Rogers said.

Martorello said Turley, who works in the same state building in Olympia, came to his office and said DNR wanted to send a helicopter.  Martorello said he put Turley on the phone with Gregg Kurz, the lead carnivore biologist in the state for the federal Fish and Wildlife Service. Kurz approved the helicopter.

Froschauer said she happened to be waiting with Kurz for a meeting on grizzly bears to start when he got the call. “Gregg said absolutely go for it. There was not hesitation on our part,” she said.

Before getting clearance from the wildlife agencies, DNR wildfire operations manager Aaron Schmidt already had approved sending the helicopter, as had the Forest Service, according to DNR records.

At one point, according to DNR call logs, the agency was prepared to “launch the rotor and will deal with aftermath of WDFW later.”

Bruce Vandervort

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »
Way too much Bull S!!!! There was some one in trouble with wolves threatening them. Send Help now!! What would have it have been in an hour if they had waited and a tree branch broke. What would they have found if the tree wasn't there ? Again, I don't care who, or what. Wolves went after a person.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »
Where did the helo land exactly is my question ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »

In a meadow nearby is what I read.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline castie2504

• Scout
« Reply #413 on: July 22, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
Wow, talk about dysfunctionalilty. I don’t give a damn, human life over ANY animal all the time.
Life's a garden, Dig it!

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #414 on: July 22, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
Not surprising.  WDFW'S Management show's that predators are their highest priority.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #415 on: July 22, 2018, 08:39:40 PM »
I hope somebody gets to the bottom of this.  WDFW plays no part in go-no go rescues.

Rescues outside the NP's are the normal responsibilty of the sheriff, so this aspect does logically give him an in to investigate, not what happened to need the rescue, but why was it called off or delayed.

Normal chain of events is that 911 would be called, the sherrif would get the FD or mountain rescue working, and either a contract ship or Snohomish county would spool up.

This is really weird.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:20:19 PM by Knocker of rocks »

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #416 on: July 22, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »

Lots of meadows up in that turf, I personally have spent many an evening looking at stars while spending some of the most priceless nights ever. Not once was I scared, I spent 4 nights up there with a packer friend of mine back in the mid 70,s trying to get out 4 huge bucks before a storm moved in that dropped 2 feet of snow in less than 9 hours. Once again, no fear, nothin in there to possibly "get ya" except that freak weather, and if you are not ready, prepared or lack respect for Mother Nature, well then, you may wake up dead. Now days you need to be a little more worried of things besides the weather, back in the 50,s, 60,s, 70,s, 80,s and even the 90,s my dad would not worry about dropping me or my brothers off or his grandkids off with a sleeping bag, some matches, a compass a can opener , 2 cans of spam and a bag of apples, pointing in the general direction of camp and saying you have "2 days before I come and find you"...........jpmiller, there is no way in H@@L I would do that with my grandkids nowadays, we seen 4 cats up in that turf this last hunting season! Now wolves! you got to be kidding me!!!!

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #417 on: July 22, 2018, 09:48:20 PM »
Anyone in authority over there who can call a public meeting and put those guys on the hot seat in front of the media?

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #418 on: July 22, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »

Lots of meadows up in that turf, I personally have spent many an evening looking at stars while spending some of the most priceless nights ever. Not once was I scared, I spent 4 nights up there with a packer friend of mine back in the mid 70,s trying to get out 4 huge bucks before a storm moved in that dropped 2 feet of snow in less than 9 hours. Once again, no fear, nothin in there to possibly "get ya" except that freak weather, and if you are not ready, prepared or lack respect for Mother Nature, well then, you may wake up dead. Now days you need to be a little more worried of things besides the weather, back in the 50,s, 60,s, 70,s, 80,s and even the 90,s my dad would not worry about dropping me or my brothers off or his grandkids off with a sleeping bag, some matches, a compass a can opener , 2 cans of spam and a bag of apples, pointing in the general direction of camp and saying you have "2 days before I come and find you"...........jpmiller, there is no way in H@@L I would do that with my grandkids nowadays, we seen 4 cats up in that turf this last hunting season! Now wolves! you got to be kidding me!!!!

I worry more about two legged things getting my kids than four legged. They're still too young to do anything real by themselves but when the time comes I don't see letting predators stand in the way of giving them the same opportunities I had.

I saw my first up close black bear about a mile away from anyone by myself, I saw my first cougar when he sent me out by myself. I spent a great deal of time in the woods away from people and "safety" growing up and for every animal I ever saw I'm certain twenty saw me. The only time I was ever truly frightened was when I just about stepped on a sleeping cow elk and she stood straight upright all wild eyed at about twelve inches before taking off. Certainly cougars and bears saw me, maybe even a wolf or a grizzly in a few spots. Certainly I could have been in danger and I certainly wouldn't change any of it even knowing what I know now.

You can't eliminate risk and be completely safe. Letting my boys have the freedom to explore and be on their own and semi self reliant is something I want for them. They'll have the opportunity to fail and hopefully learn from it and succeed. Living in fear is not a lesson I want them to learn.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #419 on: July 23, 2018, 05:50:36 AM »
Perhaps you might want to change your thought process now.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]