collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yote trap  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NWCOA
Yote trap
« on: August 05, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
Well, I've been racking my brain for awhile and believe I might have a cage trap that should work. Only problem is I haven't had one built yet. If I can find a trap builder, I'll let you all know how it turns out. Not sure how cost effective something like this will be for most trappers.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Yote trap
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »
@Bearhunter

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »

I hate to sound negative but its not cost effective at all.

I've trapped quit a few coyotes in my life and I've tried cage trapping them too.
I had a few large cage traps made different designs, spent several .......$1,000.... dollars on them with no success.
But I only caught one (1985-86) and that was an accidental catch in a Tomahawk Cage Trap after raccoons.

I was asked back in 1989 if I would teach and help out a Biologist doing a coyote study through the Department of Wildlife (at the time that is what they we're called) to capture coyotes and put radio collars on them for his study.  It was a  two years study conducted in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond area.
My job was to help him learn what coyote sign was, and teach him how to use traps, bait, lure, etc.
I went as far as loaning him a couple of my coyote cage traps.  He put that trap out in several areas where there was a lot of coyotes including on Golf Coarses.
He tried for I think 8 or 10 months with those cage traps but ended up catching all of his coyotes for the study with foot-holds traps.

So if your going to build some kind of a cage trap to catch coyotes go right ahead I encourage you to do it.  Just remember if you do make them your going to have to spend some money doing it.  Than once made you need to "Test" your "Product / Trap".  Ask yourself these questions; where an I going to put these traps rule or urban areas?  Are there a lot of coyotes there? How many trap hours do I need to test this trap?  What months do I need to test them in, fall, winter only or year round?   What if I can't get them to go in to the trap, than what?  How many do I need to catch before I can call it a success?  Than are trappers willing to buy this trap and at what price are they willing to pay? 

I know a lot of people that are in the ADC / WCO Business across the country that have tried to cage trap coyotes.  I know a few have been caught but not in big numbers.  I know a guy down in CO that has several thousand trap hours in trying with cage traps and said that he only caught five in two years.  Is that a success?

Just my two cents :twocents:
JC   

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »
Wise words john..

Offline Carp Commander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington Bowfishing Association
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »
Look at that head of hair, Holly cow!
"Smoked carp taste just as good as smoked salmon, when you ain't got no salmon"

Rancid Crabtree

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 01:55:55 PM »
Look at that head of hair, Holly cow!

Ya look at that "Red Neck" ............. Scruffy   :yike:  dude

Offline Kit Carson

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »
It seems that usually a pup or sick(mange) coyote gets caught in the cages. I know someone here caught one with 3 legs. The one I got was young and mangy. Also it seems they're usually in Bobcat size traps or larger.

John,
That one looks healthy and decent size...and in a Coon trap  :chuckle:
Do you remember what bait you were using? That is cool you still have the pic  :tup:

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
It seems that usually a pup or sick(mange) coyote gets caught in the cages. I know someone here caught one with 3 legs. The one I got was young and mangy. Also it seems they're usually in Bobcat size traps or larger.

John,
That one looks healthy and decent size...and in a Coon trap  :chuckle:
Do you remember what bait you were using? That is cool you still have the pic  :tup:

I do remember what bait and lure I used.  Your going to ask yourself what the hell drove that yote to go in there.

Long story but I'll cut it down.
I was trapping for coon two block from the Children's Hospital in Seattle.
First day I caught two raccoons.  Day two customer calls up and says you have a coyote in you cage.  No way I said, she said what me to get it go?  Dah ....... NO!
I arrive and yep its a full grown male coyote with a set of Rudy Giuliani's on him somewhere around 5 maybe 6 years old and healthy.
I call the Seattle Times and they are there in minutes.
They did a great Positive article on me.  Front page news color edition.
I still have that article.

Anyway to answer your question what did I use for bait?
Remember I'm after raccoons so a handful of marshmallows and some "Del Kramer" Gang Buster Lure.

The day before I caught this yote, I put the two raccoon I had in the truck and set two new clean traps.
I'm setting these traps 40-50 feet away from the public sidewalk.
This woman walks by with her two dogs just as I finished putting in the Gang Buster Lure and they stand up on their back legs and sniff the air.
She pulls them down and yells at them.  What the hell is the matter with you two?
I said to myself, nice lure pulls them from at least 50 feet away.  Should work good on the next set of coons.

Next day I had the coyote.  Here is what I think happened.  I think that yote sniffed the air, caught the gang buster odor and went to investigate the smell.  Seen the marshmallows grabbed one but that odor had his attention but he couldn't see where it was coming from so he crawled inside and hit that paddle.  When he did that, the spring loaded door came down and hit him in the back or in the butt and he jumped forward closing the door behind him.  He couldn't back up because the door being spring loaded is pushing down on him and he has no idea "who or what" is behind him so all he can do is go forward.

I know someone is going to ask  :bash: ...... so John did you let it go?   :dunno:  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Two great Items. 1st Tomahawk Trap and 2nd Gang buster Lure.  Pick up both if you get a chance.
Oh and best part the customer video the whole thing.  I ask her to send it to me and she did.  The best part is that her and her husband are or were in the video business.  They cut it, put music in it did all sorts of stuff to it.  They sent it to me three days before Christmas.  :IBCOOL:  What a Great Christmas Gift.

I wonder if I could down load it some how and post it here?  I'll check on it.
JC   :hello:

Oh and Delmer asked me if I wanted to purchase his lure business and I said yep, but that Scott Phillips purchased it before I could get with Delmer.
So if you want any of that Delmer Kramers Gang Buster Lure you can contact Scott for it.
I used it for year when Delmer was selling it.  It designed for muskrat and coon but I have caught beaver, otter, muskrat, lots of coon and several coyotes with it.  I used it as a change up for coyote and it worked great for me.

Offline Kit Carson

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »
Awesome story.
Thank you John!  :tup:

Will have to try some of that lure.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics