collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How are the berries ripening?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
How are the berries ripening?
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
This is my first year really actually focusing on bear hunting. I got 1 while archery elk hunting in 2012 and it started a bug that I have been cultivating for a while.
this is my question. What are the primary berries in your area and how are they getting along?
What do you tend to notice ripening first and so on?
I am in SW WA, Clark and Skamania county area at about 1000-1500ft elevation.

Last year I found an area in some dense regrowth that is near a pond and some thick timber. It is covered in all sorts of berries. Mostly oregon grape and salal. But also has plenty of blackberries and blue elder berries.
I found that area just a little too late. The salal and oregon grape was done and all eaten up. That was early muzzleloader deer season. But the blue elderberries where EVERYWHERE and ripe. However They didnt seem to be getting much bear attention. Only 1 bush was torn down and berries eaten. However there was so much bear poo everywhere that was drying up that was full of salal and oregon grape seeds.

I have noticed the salmon berries ripe at the beginning of August in this area. Then just a few scattered wild raspberries but nothing in concentrations.
There are now a few salal, oregon grape and blackberries ripening. However nothing ripe is very concentrated. I will find 2 or 3 clusters of ripe berries for every 50 or 60 plants that still have green berries. And that may even be a little generous.
So far I have found zero fresh sign and have none on the cameras on any of the scattered berries, but I am hoping over the next few weeks that picks up.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: How are the berries ripening?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
I haven't had time to do any proper scouting, but down lower in Yakima Co the oregon grapes and buckthorns are looking ripe.  Huckleberries are in full force up on the ridges (at least on the PCT) and should be good for the next 3-4 weeks. 

Wish I could tell you anything from scat, but I haven't verified my scope yet this season sooooo.....   :bash:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
the non native Himalayan blackberries are ripe and I would assume the mountain blueberries should be getting close to ripe. The huckleberries in my back yard are already done but the higher elevation ones should be good right about now. If you are looking for berries I would just hit a river edge somewhere away from the roads and look for the blackberries. If my bushes are any sign of how those berries are going to do this year then its going to be a killer year for them. I already have 4 gallon ziplocs of them in the freezer with a ton left to pick and a ton left to get ripe.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
btw... best way that I have found to find bears.. get into the patch and start picking berries. Might get closer to the bears than you want though so bring another pair of underwear lol.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:31:51 AM »
Got into some nice berries yesterday, tasty. Saw a couple guys on a grey Toyota tacoma up the Beckler driving around a lot seemed content on put miles on their truck with all the smoke up there.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
Yep the mountain blueberries are ripe.😉
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal