collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First Hunt Ever, First Turkey Ever  (Read 4091 times)

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: First Hunt Ever, First Turkey Ever
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Huge congrats! It sounds very similar to how I got started not long ago.  :hello:  :tup:

Turkey season is open for a couple more months too..  ;)

Its a long drive north east of the mountains from Olympia! I will unfortunately probably have to wait until spring... though I do have one tag left! I did see a small group in Cle Elum last Tuesday near Suncadia. It was private land though.
Just a heads up east cascades is not open unless you draw the permit.  Klickitat is the exception to the rule.

I was about to say "Yeah, that" but I double checked the regs and through tomorrow you can hunt 568-578 (a little further west than klickitat). That's new this year!

But yea, it is a long drive from Oly to the rest of the GMUs. Anyway, welcome!

Offline chrissmith002

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 11:43:15 PM »
Thanks Russ! Still getting used to the hunting regs, alot different from fishing! Do I still qualify for a mentor hunt if I have got one already? I want to learn how to call the Toms in, I didn't get any response last weekend from any birds (that I could tell). I dot know anybody who hunts birds.

Your first kill is a turkey with a bow? You've got a bright hunting future ahead. Congratulations and welcome to HuntWA!  :tup:

Thanks! Hopefully so! I really enjoy shooting a bow, fished all my life, never thought about hunting until recently. Probably going to go for a deer here in November. Only ate that once but it was pretty tasty

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 01:35:51 AM »
You can still sign up but I would keep.my eyes open for a turkey hunting seminar.  I usually do some at the Sportsman's show at the fairground in Puyallup.  I do one at the gun range you did hunters ed at to.  Birds don't generally respond to calls in the fall.  That is a spring time thing during their mating season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline chrissmith002

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 06:55:31 PM »
You can still sign up but I would keep.my eyes open for a turkey hunting seminar.  I usually do some at the Sportsman's show at the fairground in Puyallup.  I do one at the gun range you did hunters ed at to.  Birds don't generally respond to calls in the fall.  That is a spring time thing during their mating season.

Alright that sounds good!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal