collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weiner dogs  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Weiner dogs
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 09:25:02 PM »
I had a long haired dachshund and she was for sure a hunter.  Loved hiking and would destroy any squirrels or chipmunks she could get.  They are great dogs and pretty smart.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
As a breed dachshund is not by any means one of the smartest. They are usually rated in the bottom range for trainability.
If you girl friend has experience training hunting dogs, she would know this.
There are lots of "smart breeds" that can be trained to hunt. Going with a breed that has been hunting for generations would be your best bet.
A dachshund would not be my pick to train as a hunting dog. Most struggle through basic and advanced obedience.
Having said that, the old world dachshunds were supposed to be breed to go after badgers. Not sure I buy that, but there you go, LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 04:30:03 PM »
Hunted with a hound growing up, beagle/walker cross, different stature than yours but just as hard headed.  Not so trainable but certainly game.  Never lost a bird that I can remember.  One we thought he lost was under a hog house in a badger hole, found the feathers when we moved the house the next spring.  Kind of like a hog, smarter than most dogs and more independent than a cat.  Really did not care what we liked except hunting!!! Thanks greaty stuff

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
Girlfriend wants a weiner dog, she is insisting she can train it to hunt and retrieve birds, she wants to get one from Germany.....

Im skeptical.

Thoughts?

The Germans have exacting standards, they are some of the best dog breeders in the world, many good hunting breeds were developed in Germany. Americans typically screw up hunting breeds!  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »
For reasons unbeknownst to me alot of my family back in North Dakota had Weiner dogs, and my grandparents had them over here. They were all monsters around mice rats and squirells....and children.

I think they could be trained to do just about anything like most dogs could given the right time and individual dogs temperament but I'd be leary, don't know that more than one or two had any real training that I was around but pretty much anyone who wasn't old enough and big enough to kick one of them real good had better have an adult close by. I'm no expert by any means but I don't think I'd ever entertain the notion of owning one.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 04:49:10 PM »
Seeing how this thread was started around 15 months ago, I have to ask the OP......did your gf get a dachshund? :dunno:

And I really did witness a guy hunting by Potholes reservoir years ago with a few wiener dogs and I talked to him for quite a while about his dogs and they were quite birdy and the old guy did quite well behind them so I know it's possible.  :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 07:39:26 AM »
The little terrors are hunting machines. Our little dog would hunt 24/7 if we would let her. I would put her nose up against my hounds nose any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal