collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First time, any tips?  (Read 12472 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
First time, any tips?
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:40:48 PM »
I am a first time turkey hunter looking for whatever your number one tip is, if you could only give one piece of advice?

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: First time, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »
As a noob, I got nothing. Just tagging along.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »
Be out well before light with a gobbler, they respond from in the trees a lot. Once you locate them move in to 100 ish yards from where you think they are and set up. I have called them off the trees to me with hen calls and had them land 20 yards in front of me.

Good luck, its addicting.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:51:39 PM »
I do believe the time honored advice amongst the skilled and educated, of who I do not yet espouse myself, would be to pattern your shotgun.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
So, my first time I was with a buddy from Texas who hunted a lot of turkey. He called a bird in and I dropped it. I ran up to it and picked it up by the head like people do ducks. It kicked the heck out of me.

The pro tactic is run up then lightly stand on their neck.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 09:43:56 PM »
I do believe the time honored advice amongst the skilled and educated, of who I do not yet espouse myself, would be to pattern your shotgun.

Exactly! I can’t wait to pattern the 20ga!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »
Ask yourself where or what you'd be doing at times throughout the day if you were a Turkey. It sounds dumb but works for me. Getting up before sunrise to call in a bird is just one way to do it but I like sleep and turkeys can be killed at all times during the day.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:04 PM »
Don't leave the woods at 10:00 AM......   The turkeys didn't.

They are callable all day.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 06:11:16 AM »
Camo is actually fairly important for Turkeys as opposed to many other hunting situations. 

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 07:57:43 AM »
Camo head to toe.  Be patient. Don't move much most likely is you have tom's around you and close in they will sew you before you see them. Yup pattern your shotgun is an absolute.  My last clinic is next Sunday at the Black Diamond Gun Club  in Black Diamond 11-4, free and don't believe the WDFW website, plenty of room for people.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »
Don't trespass.

Online Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 08:55:01 AM »
Enjoy the experience!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 09:31:42 AM »
know your target!   Lots of mishaps happen with Turkey hunting.   calling, camo, lifelike decoys, people packing wings or tail fans for calling or decoying.   Dont wear any red or blue.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
Tip #1 Have fun
Tip #2 Do ticks bother you?  :chuckle:, Regardless get some repellent for you and your clothes and always check for them after
Tip #3 When calling sit with your back against something, tree, big stump, big rock etc
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
Lots of good advice.  A hen decoy set up in an opening 15-30 yards from your calling location is extremely helpful.  Be persistent - toms like to gobble all the time, but they are only inclined to come to a call at certain times/circumstances.  Learn basic calling but don't be discouraged - when they are susceptible to calling they will come in.  I've called in hot toms from the window of a pickup with the engine running and had them strut and gobble with me/truck in plain sight and audible.

If I had to choose two items of camo it would be a face mask and gloves.  When I was a poor college student my turkey hunting garb was a John Deere cap in green and yellow, a face mask, a brown and black buffalo plaid shirt, and a pair of khaki field pants; I never had a turkey sneer at my camo, but they definitely respond to movement, especially the flash of a white man's hands or face.  Keep your skin covered up.

Definitely get into your hunting area while birds are on the roost.  That said, I've killed them every hour of legal shooting hours.  Things typically settle down 1-2 hours after they fly off the roost, I often nap in the woods around 9-10 and have frequently awakened to a tom gobbling.  The whole season is good, from calling in subordinate toms when the dominant toms are all henned up, to when the hens are incubating and all the toms are going nuts trying to find the last breeding opportunities.

One scenario that taught me the value of patience.  I was on a high ridge where the birds had been roosting for the past week.  About an hour before sunrise, I heard the toms start gobbling - all the way down in the creek bottom about a mile away.  I bailed off the ridge and crossed the creek, got to the edge of an opening where I watched the last of the turkeys fly down into the center about 100 yards from the edge of the brush.  2 dominant toms, a few 2 year olds and several jakes.  The toms gobbled back to my every call, but were stuck on the hens.  After about half an hour of this they shut up and walked up the drainage away from me.  I had given up, and was just sitting where I'd set up enjoying a beautiful spring morning.  After about 40 minutes, I saw movement in the field at the periphery of my vision.  Still unsure what I had seen, I got my shotgun up on my knees.  Several minutes later, I saw a 2 year old trailed by 2 jakes sneaking cautiously along the edge of the field - it was clear they were looking for the lone hen.  As the tom stepped into the opening at 20 yards I gave a soft cluck with my diaphragm call - he instantly extended his neck and gobbled - lights out.  I got a kick out of the two jakes spurring him as he flopped, chances to move up in the pecking order in the turkey world are brutal - never mind that thundering shot, they were focused on the incapacitation of that superior tom.  I got up, the jakes ran off and I claimed my first-ever spring turkey in April 1991. 

Some of the fall birds and chance encounter toms have faded in memory, but I can vividly recall like it was yesterday every tom I've called in and killed.  It will get in your blood!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]