collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey hunting in the rain  (Read 2235 times)

Offline TimBarlow

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks unlimited
Turkey hunting in the rain
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
Hey guys, going turkey hunting this weekend. Just seen the weather forecast and it’s supposed to rain all weekend. Any tips? Is it harder or easier to hunt them in the rain? Don’t know what to expect! Thanks
Happy Hunting

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Turkey hunting in the rain
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:07:49 PM »
2 years ago I killed a really nice Tom in a downpour with Thunder and Lightning. It should get the Toms gobbling if it gets loud with the thunder. Turkeys will go on with their business buy may stay in the woods rather than in the open.
I’m heading out as well so it should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TimBarlow

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks unlimited
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like an awesome hunt. I’m excited. Thanks for the info !
Happy Hunting

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
Rain and/or bad weather can change a turkey's daily routine. All the info I've read says they tend to stick close to the tree lines so they feel safer. Good luck with the hunt, I've seen some areas are still henned up while others are full of bachelor flocks. Post pictures of your trip when you get back.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 12:19:26 AM »
Turkeys will go on with their business but may stay in the woods rather than in the open.

My experience and knowledge has been opposite of them staying in the woods... turkeys are wary and when they can’t hear they depend more on their already stellar eye sight. I’d be focusing on tree lines and fields/openings. If they can’t hear they want to see. Yes they’ll use the tree cover on the edge for cover but they also like to take advantage of an open area to see, for sun (should it cone out), and the food opportunity after a fresh rain. :twocents:

Thunder will definitely make a bird gobble. Habits will change but a birds still gotta eat and mate so they will still move. Seen rain shut the birds down completely but I’ve also watched a Tom strutting with rain coming down side ways. If it’s pouring, you can hunker down yourself, but the second the rain brakes get to hunting hard. Two birds this season came between weather breaks. They want the rain to stop just as much as we do so they can get back to what they want and that’s finding a lonely hen.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:09:32 AM by avidnwoutdoorsman »
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:24:15 AM »
Hey guys, going turkey hunting this weekend. Just seen the weather forecast and it’s supposed to rain all weekend. Any tips? Is it harder or easier to hunt them in the rain? Don’t know what to expect! Thanks

If it's just a light rain it probably won't make much difference. They might be more active than they have been on these hot days lately. Heavy rain will shut them down, they will stay in cover plus they won't be able to hear you call and you won't be able to hear them.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline wapiti22

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
Rain don't bother the birds! They still gotta eat and they still gotta Mate!  I've killed several birds in downpours.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
Well just got back from a week. Three days in the rain.
The birds were we were ,quite . Gobble couple times than nothing. Had one gobble when I put the truck in reverse.
When the rain started no early morning gobbles. Found three still roosted at 9:30 am they gobbled some.
Saw a dozen birds running the roads in between hunting sites.
Either toms alone, hens alone and jakes in groups of 3-5.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline EWUeagles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 07:36:18 AM »
I hunted Saturday and the rain never stopped. I got one gobble at 6:30 and made a stand. I gave him 30 minutes and the gobbling finally stopped so I decided to start moving and see if I could get another gobble. I walk a little ways to see that I spooked 3 or 4 birds that were still in the roost. It blew my mind they were still up there. I hiked around till 1 when I had enough of the quite and rain. I did see a fox, a couple of moose and a bear way off in the distance so other than no turkeys it was a great day out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal