collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another high buck hunt gear thread.  (Read 13588 times)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: Another high buck hunt gear thread.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »
Something to keep in mind about sleeping bag temperature ratings is that they don't mean they'll keep you warm & comfortable to that temperature. It means you won't freeze to death at that temperature. You might be plenty cold, though. Your 20 degree quilt is a good choice.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Every year I struggle with the idea of taking my spotter too or just the binos.  FWIW, I have yet to regret bringing the spotter.  APW and Chelan areas are BIG country, and you'll likely be glad for the extra reach of the spotter when you're deciding if the deer on the next ridge is worth going after. 

If you're not on top of the detailed weather forecasts, take the 20° bag.  With that and extra clothes (do NOT forget your beanie/toque if you use a quilt.  I did that once and it suuuuccckss) you'll survive anything you're likely to encounter on the high hunt.  But if the weather is hot, that 50° might be nice. 

Like HikerHunter said, check weather.gov, and use the map tool to select the exact area you'll be in.  It's going to be an interpolated forecast, but the NOAA forecasts are top class and quite reliable.  Watch the 3-day forecast, and ignore everything else.  In late September in the mountains, the extended forecast is nearly useless. 

And carry a GPS beacon (Spot, inReach, etc.)! 

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »
Go Light as you can with 10 degree sleeping bag, lightweight tent, and pad(lightweight costs money, but worth it to me). Clothes can help with insulation from cold. I use 10x42 Swar EL rangefinders and go with them only, when hunting solo. I can tell with 10X if I want to pursue or not.... if guiding and hunting for inches extra weight of spotting scope with me every time. We each have our own style and recommendations.... I have hunted and guided all over Northwest, and above plan works for me.

Offline Devenk89

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 08:24:07 PM »
Definitely glad that I got the 20 degree quilt, I'll sleep much better, and I'll be sure to bring my Merino beanie.

I'm leaning more towards going to Chelan, the harvest numbers look better and I think it wont be as busy, but how will last years fires effect it?

Only about a week to go, pretty excited!!

Also, for optics I think I'll bring my Steiner Predator 10x42 Binos, and My Vortex Razor 16-48 x 65 Spotting scope.

Deven

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 08:58:46 AM »
your spotting scope will be extra weight. jmho

Offline Devenk89

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »

Quite Possibly, I'm going to load my pack up with and without it and see if I think it's worth it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
I personally think it’s always worth having a spotter if you’re hunting open country or near or above tree line.  Let your glass do the work. Save your legs for the moment of truth. I’d hate to find a large framed buck through the Bino’s and walk a bunch to get close enough only to find out he’s a big 2 point or something like that. Your spotter would save you a bunch of time and energy when you could be glassing for more.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »
10x binoculars should be more than good enough.  If a bigger spotter is needed to see if the deer has a third point it may be legal but it's a small deer.

Online teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
the extra weight of the spotter has been and always will be ok with me. I would rather have it than clothes! :chuckle:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Another high buck hunt gear thread.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 07:31:23 PM »
10x binoculars should be more than good enough.  If a bigger spotter is needed to see if the deer has a third point it may be legal but it's a small deer.

Personal preference honestly. I’m not looking to shoot a buck that’s just legal. Nothing wrong with it, just not where I’m looking to be. When I’m glassing deer that are really far away, my 10x bino’s don’t help me decide if it’s something I want to go after when it might take 6 hours to get to him.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »
I’m taking my BTX95 to Region G on Friday...

Online teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 07:08:10 AM »
I’m taking my BTX95 to Region G on Friday...
ok now your bragging. I hope I don’t run into you on another hunt. The last time it cost me over 3k. I would hate to look through that crappy glass! :chuckle:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 07:15:27 PM »
First year me and my kid did this hunt i spotted 2 huge deer about 1500 yards out. They bedded down in the buck brush couldn't tell through my 10x50 bones if they were legal. Took us 3 and a half hours and finally got 50 yards away and waited another 40 mins before they showed themselves. Twin brothers huge forks no eye guards. Used up alot of energy and time for nada. The next year they were 4x4's and my son missed his first shot at a buck just over his back and scoped himself in the process. Sure messed up his follow up shot.

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
By the way I'll never hunt the treeline without a spotting scope again. I spot 3x's the number of bucks I used too and will never crawl through buck brush again after a non shooter.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »
By the way I'll never hunt the treeline without a spotting scope again. I spot 3x's the number of bucks I used too and will never crawl through buck brush again after a non shooter.
A spotter may keep you out of the rock slides too. Hate for you to dirty another pair of shorts..lol

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal