collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to trapping want to learn  (Read 3278 times)

Offline RafaelG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to trapping want to learn
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »
I just signed up for the November class and have been looking into trap designs since I don't want to spend lots of money on store-bought traps and want to know what the veterans make. Also, I would like to know some good spots in lewis county for critters but understand if you don't want to give that up. Thank you.

Offline Uncle Juju

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Pilgrim
Re: New to trapping want to learn
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:21:54 PM »
Unfortunately since it is your first year you will have an investment headed your way.....
First determine which critters you want to catch this year. That will help to determine which supplies you need. Then determine what your time is worth.... even if you build a nice wire trap it's still going to cost you a good chunk of money for materials. Traps are just the beginning of what you need to harvest fur!
The class will definitely teach you alot! Make sure to take good notes, wish I did...
WSTA (trappers in general) is a great wealth of knowledge. Be sure to go to the Rendezvous and chat with people they will give you the info you need.
Every day is a new day to prove how awesome you are!

The impossible just takes a little longer!

Offline RafaelG

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »
That you for the tips and here are the critters I'm going for since I know they are in my area; weasels, raccoons, coyotes, bobcat, and muskrat. My plan for traps is to just make simple colony style traps for all since im not techniquely inclined. But I am lucky since I have places to process furs already and all the tools.

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
I just signed up for the November class and have been looking into trap designs since I don't want to spend lots of money on store-bought traps and want to know what the veterans make. Also, I would like to know some good spots in lewis county for critters but understand if you don't want to give that up. Thank you.

Since your new to the trade and you are going to take the class, take some advise from this "Old Guy"
Here is what I would do if I were you.
Make a dozen or so muskrat colony traps and stop there.  Your time is worth a lot more if you turn your attention to finding something to catch and learn it's habits and habitat.

If you're going after raccoon, You better purchase some store bough traps.  I would recommend "Tomahawk Trap Co.  They have Best.

For bobcat, unless you have been around cage trap, I would purchase one from Bruce and then you can use it for both bobcat and beaver/otter.

Weasel ............ all you need is a small box and a common Victor Rat Trap.  Go down to the $ Dollar Tree Store and pick up a couple plastic shoe boxes.  Drill a 1-3/4" hole in one end for the weasel to enter.  Drill a couple 3/8 - 1/2" holes around the sides and back for orders to get out.  Put a chunk of muskrat, beaver meat or chicken, beef liver in for bait.  Put the trap in front of the hole.

Coyote, forget about making a cage trap for them.  They won't go in a cage trap.  This subject has been talked about a lot here on the forum.

Old Guy, Trapping Instructor, Publisher/Editor for WSTA Newsletter/magazine
JC   :hello:

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:35:01 PM »
I would do as the "old guy" recommended. Start with muskrats. You can get started quickly with pretty low cost. It shouldn't take you long to have success either.
 Look back through some of the old threads in trapping. Look for some of the threads 3nails put out there. He has a lot of good utube videos he's posted on rat trapping and colony traps.   Good luck
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline RafaelG

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »

Since your new to the trade and you are going to take the class, take some advise from this "Old Guy"
Here is what I would do if I were you.
Make a dozen or so muskrat colony traps and stop there.  Your time is worth a lot more if you turn your attention to finding something to catch and learn it's habits and habitat.

If you're going after raccoon, You better purchase some store bough traps.  I would recommend "Tomahawk Trap Co.  They have Best.

For bobcat, unless you have been around cage trap, I would purchase one from Bruce and then you can use it for both bobcat and beaver/otter.

Weasel ............ all you need is a small box and a common Victor Rat Trap.  Go down to the $ Dollar Tree Store and pick up a couple plastic shoe boxes.  Drill a 1-3/4" hole in one end for the weasel to enter.  Drill a couple 3/8 - 1/2" holes around the sides and back for orders to get out.  Put a chunk of muskrat, beaver meat or chicken, beef liver in for bait.  Put the trap in front of the hole.

Coyote, forget about making a cage trap for them.  They won't go in a cage trap.  This subject has been talked about a lot here on the forum.

Old Guy, Trapping Instructor, Publisher/Editor for WSTA Newsletter/magazine
Thank you sir that was all very helpful I already have a spot for muskrat and I have plenty of weasle around my place good idea with the shoeboxes I would have never thought of that and would have ended up buying wood to make boxes. I was also wondering what time of the year different critters are prime for the taking if it wouldn't be to much trouble.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:49:57 PM by RafaelG »

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »

Prime or close I would say:
Muskrat, go ahead and start November first
Mink I would go after them middle or end of November
Beaver; I wouldn't go after them until the end of December first of January.  This item you can go up until March
Otter same as beaver
Raccoons, best to go after them first of December

When you start catching any fur, skin it and put it up right away.  You will see what color the skin is when it drys.  If it is blue: stop going after this animal.  It is not even close to prime.
Here is how the skins go IMP:  They start out blue, go to yellow, then cream, then white.  You want "White" that is prime.  After Prime they go out the same way.  Back down to cream, yellow, blue.  I hope this helps.

"The Old Guy"   :chuckle:

Offline RafaelG

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »

Prime or close I would say:
Muskrat, go ahead and start November first
Mink I would go after them middle or end of November
Beaver; I wouldn't go after them until the end of December first of January.  This item you can go up until March
Otter same as beaver
Raccoons, best to go after them first of December

When you start catching any fur, skin it and put it up right away.  You will see what color the skin is when it drys.  If it is blue: stop going after this animal.  It is not even close to prime.
Here is how the skins go IMP:  They start out blue, go to yellow, then cream, then white.  You want "White" that is prime.  After Prime they go out the same way.  Back down to cream, yellow, blue.  I hope this helps.

"The Old Guy"   :chuckle:
thank you for this I remember the different colors of the skin when i used to raise rabbits and now it all makes sense.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal