collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best pressure canner to purchase??  (Read 5878 times)

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Best pressure canner to purchase??
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
I'm in a different camp than the "bigger is better" or getting one huge all American. 

I'd rather have two prestos, or even three.   Two decent sized ones like their 23 quart models, and a smaller one.   
Easier to move, quicker to heat, and you can run them in stages.

You get a big All American loaded up and it takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r to stabilize the temp inside and actually start your pressurized countdown, the presto's will already be rocking. 

My advice is start with a single 23 QT presto, if you find yourself wishing you had a bigger one just get two or three and assembly line them, or by then you might really know you want that all american 40qt, but the good thing is you'll have that smaller presto for smaller batches.   

:yeah:

When we were doing 300 plus pounds of Tuna for multiple families, we had up to six of the Presto pressure canners going in series, so when one was done we were loading more cans in and getting it going!
IAFF #3728

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »
I can on a glass stove top, it's not an issue. Just an FYI.

I have the Presto 23 as well as a smaller Mirro with only a weight for a gauge. I like the dial gauge but would agree with someone who posted that a canner that will take a double stack of pint jars would be nice.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 05:47:03 AM »
I went with the All American 921 a few years back and just bought a second one this canning season.  I am guesstimating that we did around 400+ jars just in the pressure canners this year, not including the water bath stuff.  The 921 is a little heavy, I wouldn't go with the bigger sizes, you just add weight and reduce where it can be stored without getting that much more performance. 

There seems to always be a good deal on a used 921 on CL in the "seattle" area.  Familiarize yourself on what the newer models look like but also know that you can still buy parts that fit and upgrade the older style. 

Probably the most popular thing in our home is the ready to eat soups.  We have found a few soups that we like and we have them canned and ready to go.  I will take them hunting with me, we take them on family camping trips and anywhere else where we need to have a meal.  I keep a small stove in the rigs with us and disposable utensils.  We probably sound like some kind of hipppie but we have stopped eating out for the most part, especially at any fast food type restaurants, it just makes us feel terrible afterword.  Everything in the jar besides the salt and other spices comes from our property, not gut bombs while traveling!             

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »
All American 930,gets a lot done.we do all our canning in the garage on a camp chef.works great

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 12:10:13 AM »
I have a Presto 17 quart that only does a single layer of pints and a 23 quart that holds a double layer of pints with room to spare. The 23 quart takes much longer to heat up and cool down so I only use it when I'm going to fill it up but it's nice to have when processing green beans and other vegetables that we do in large quantities. The 17 quart is probably 25 years old and has been through a couple of new gasket kits but I can a lot of food with it still.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 12:25:24 AM »
We use the Presto 23 quart for canning tuna. Brady's Oysters out side of Westport sells 10 oz oyster jars, 48 to a case. 24 of these jars fit perfectly into the cooker.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 06:43:48 AM »
The All American 930 is the size to get.  You can cook 14 quarts of venison stew in one batch.  The stew is to die for.  We have both the Presto 23 and the All American 930, and use the 930 most of the time.  No gaskets to replace and is heavy duty enough to use on an outside propane burner.  Presto recommends not using propane with their pots. 

Pony up and get the AA 930.  You won't be sorry you got one!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 07:43:42 AM »
Smokepole - care to share ur stew recipe? Thx

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »
The All American 930 is the size to get.  You can cook 14 quarts of venison stew in one batch.  The stew is to die for.  We have both the Presto 23 and the All American 930, and use the 930 most of the time.  No gaskets to replace and is heavy duty enough to use on an outside propane burner.  Presto recommends not using propane with their pots. 

I'm with you. We have two 930s.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 11:35:59 AM »

Venison stew is the best.  Ham and beans is another good one.  Both reheat great.  Spaghetti sauce is another that cans great and has long shelf-stable life.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:44:12 AM by Fl0und3rz »

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:10 AM »
Smokepole - care to share ur stew recipe? Thx

I make a simple stew recipe.  You can add stuff to it like frozen corn or peas etc.  The venison makes its own gravy and is fork tender in the jar after canning.  Here's what I add to the jar, meat at the bottom and working my way up the jar.  All ingredients are raw packed.

1 cup diced venison meat 1" cubes
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic (optional)
1 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper

Add ingredients to 1 quart mason jars.  Pack tightly.  Add more spuds or carrots as needed to fill the jar.  Can't get too many spuds.  Fill jars with boiling water, leaving 1/2" head space.  Slide a plastic utensil inside the jars to remove trapped air bubbles.  Cap the jars with lids and rings.  Using instructions for your pressure cooker, process the jars for 1 1/2 hours at 15 lbs. pressure ( at my elevation). 10 lbs. at sea level.

Sometimes we heat and eat the stew right from the jar.  Other times we add more vegetables when we heat it up to make it stretch.  Good stuff!  I highly recommend getting the Ball Blue Book for canning info.  -Smokepole   

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 06:21:29 AM »
All American 930 ordered and should be here Tuesday.  Decided on the All American because I will be using a gas / propane burner and storage concerns are not an issue for my set up.  Figured bigger is better and if I need a smaller one at a later date, I would add a 21-23 qt presto to the mix.  Let the canning begin!!!!! 

Thanks for all the responses.   :tup:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 06:27:21 AM »
Thk you Smokepole!  Gonna try canning some.   :EAT:

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »
All American 930 ordered and should be here Tuesday.  Decided on the All American because I will be using a gas / propane burner and storage concerns are not an issue for my set up.  Figured bigger is better and if I need a smaller one at a later date, I would add a 21-23 qt presto to the mix.  Let the canning begin!!!!! 

Jrebel, I'm sure you know it's best to keep the propane down around medium/low for pressure canning.  Not a good idea to fire up the crab cooker on high, which could damage the pot.  Also, I found working inside a garage keeps the wind from being a factor, cooling down the vessel.  Enjoy.   :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »

awesome, I've used one and it's for sure a great canner  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]