collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement  (Read 8664 times)

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement
« on: December 10, 2019, 01:55:39 PM »
Our family SUV appears to have a cracked head. Symptoms are a cylinder #5 misfire, and burning coolant. Our Tahoe has 157,000 miles. Its in great shape with, new rear axels, a seemingly solid tranny/transfer case, new breaks, good tires, no dents... good paint. Weighing out trading it in on a used SUV. Prices for an SUV that has similar or less miles are $10-15,000. Or, just put in a new 5.7 in the Tahoe we have. We are leaning greatly towards a new engine. I was told to figure $5,000 for a new motor and labor out the door, mechanic hoping it would be less, but figure $5,000. 3 year 30,000 mile warranty on the engine/labor. Is it possible to put in an engine that is carbureted to avoid all the electronic stuff, or is that not smart? The engine thats in it has a distributor, and plug wires, no coil packs. Anyone ever go through this dilemma, and how did it turn out?
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 02:13:34 PM »
Stay efi stock!  Will cost ya more $ and headaches to convert imop.   Sounds like replacement is way to go or step up to newer more expensive low mileage suv.  I would think ya could find better deal on eng install though?  Dealers can be more $!  Check around.  Also before spending a dollar make dang sure transmission is still in good shape.  Don't want get caught 10000miles later with another $5k expense!  Engine should only cost around $2000!!!  Check Jegs or Summit??  Long blocks..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
Why do you need a new engine for a cracked head? Shouldn't you be able to just replace the head(s), do some other improvements/preventative stuff while it's apart & go on your way?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
agree with mudman, long block it

I had great luck with motorworks in Spokane, but I'm sure there's a great reputable shop on your side of the state?   

https://www.motorworksengines.com/

while your at it have your transmission gone through and possibly rebuilt, it might not be fully ready for it but I'd do it if it were me,  157k is quite a bit anyways so there's going to be wear and tear on it no matter what.

If you like the vehicle, its clean and no other issues for sure I'd repower it  :tup:

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »
Probably already checked, but look at intake and head gaskets first. Even with cracked head it shouldnt be a whole new engine right?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »
It's at 157k, and heated enough to have a cracked head, and probably coolant in the cylinder washing the rings and and and and and

long block it  :chuckle:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
Absolutely stay efi stock, absolutely buy a brand new long block GM Parts L31 crate engine for around $2k (summit and jegs always have these on sale), and absolutely don't pay more than $1500 for install, all the gaskets and misc. parts included. This is a dead simple swap.

$3500 +/- is where you should be at, imho. Good for another 157k+.

I stayed at a Quality Inn last night, FYI.    :chuckle:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
I'll be the bad devil on your left shoulder.......Why would you put a new engine in a Chevy with 150K on it?  Save your 5K and put it down on a new rig.   5K will just be the start of your problems.  3 year 30K warranty is really a 1.5 year warranty if you drive it much.  Ohhhhh.....and "new rig" can be new to you, not brand new because I think that is often a waste of good hard earned money.  Find a couple year old used rig with 30K and save money on both ends. 

Just a thought and my  :twocents:

Offline TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »
Is there coolant in the oil or oil in your radiator?
Our Tahoe has bad intake gaskets and also had a misfire. It would act up more in the cold weather, after initial start up it would drop to low rpms and almost die. Once it was warmed up it would be fine.

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
Sounds like you have an early model 99.  they changed engine type sometime in 99/2000 to the new LS style.  Good news is the older LT style Chevy engines are plentiful.  I would personally look for a used engine and drop it in. If the vehicle is that old it really doesn't make sense to spend that much when a same year replacement is cheaper.   Just make sure you hear and see the engine run first or get a guaranty it runs so you have a recourse.  Most junk yards will stand behind what they sell for a short period of time. Stay EFI, the dash would light up like a Xmas tree if you don't.  On these newer vehicles the computers are connected to everything and things like the fuel pump and ignition timing would all be issues.  Besides EFI is way more efficient and reliable than any carburetor could ever be. It really is a simple swap and could be done in a weekend with regular hand tools.  Hardest part is the engine hoist and those are pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.   Car-part.com

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
It's a 99, so I wouldn't put more into it than it's worth.  You can pick up one for $5k without the problems, maybe a few more miles.

I know 2000's had a head casting problem, but you have a completely different engine.  New heads along with the tools to do it, all parts and fixing a few things along the way was under $1k easy.

No way I would put a new engine in a 99 unless it was a project I enjoyed doing.

For reference, in the spring I will be selling my 2000 Silverado with 170k for probably $4k with zero problems.  They are out there if you look

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 06:08:12 AM »

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 07:14:45 AM »
The one for 2700 is a stronger engine. It is a 4 bolt main block which is technically stronger and for higher performance applications.  If you tow big loads it would be better.   If the rig is a daily driver that isnt used hard then the cheaper one would be just fine and is basically a direct replacement.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
Gotcha! The cheap one is probably good for us then...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »
I agree with the guys saying not to sink money into this thing, its great advice.   

but if you love the vehicle and the body/interior are cherry...then perhaps I would,  or if it has sentimental value then I would.

and if I did,  I'd put in a longblock and rebuild the tranny.   And I'd stick on new waterpump, all new belts, hoses, thermostat, alt, battery etc etc   it would all be new, painted and purdy under the hood

but only if this were a cherry rig like I said above,  otherwise its trade in time

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]