collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question on camo color/patterns  (Read 6658 times)

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Question on camo color/patterns
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »
I bought lots of camo stuff mostly because of the quality of the gear at the time. I did most of my bigger hiking and backpacking trips in camo mostly because I wasn’t interested in spending the money twice. Now the quality hunting clothing manufacturers are making lots of solid colors too. My go-to pants are solid gray now and I’ve got a few solid color top layers too. Folks can talk all they want about some blue jeans and a flannel shirt but you won’t catch me in that stuff 5 miles from the truck in a white out. Mostly you won’t catch me because I would have to head back to said truck so I don’t die of hypothermia.

Who said anything about hunting in blue Jean s :chuckle: All I have seen is pro and cons of is camo really that important? I think wool is better than any synthetic they have ever made and will continue with my green woolies and plaid red and black jacket till I die or they actually come up with something better. It’s quiet warm and mostly a lot less expensive 👍 lion from last week it was freezing outside I was warm

I'm totally with you on the wool. I use several different wool pieces.

As far as the blue jeans comment, it seems like every time this topic comes up, someone chimes in how all you need is a good pair of blue jeans and a flannel shirt to kill all the animals you want. It was more meant to be a joke than anything else but anyway...

Love my Wool stuff from Filson, wool rich, codet etc.... warm when wet and also heavy! But the stuff is great on late season November and December hunts but it has its place. The newer synthetics also have their places earlier in the year and usually farther from the truck! I won’t go anywhere without wool base layers though. Either way both have their places. As far as camo or color? Pick whichever appeals to you because you care a whole lot more about what you look like than the animals do.

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
Jackalope, it sounded like a joke to me, with an edge to it.  Since I mentioned calling critters while wearing T-shirt and jeans, I will be defensive and explain.  8) There are two topics here:
-  whether camo is needed to shoot a critter,
- and whether it is a good idea to wear cotton when hunting much of the PNW.

Re the first topic:   Critters can be hunted successfully sometimes when wearing non-camo clothes (I came across a buck one morning while wearing a sports jacket on my way to church).

Re the second:  I don't wear a stitch of cotton when deliberately hunting or hiking etc.  in the PNW.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
I've been using fair quality stuff forever. I bought a pair of Sitka pants this year and now understand why people spend the money they do on good camo. Articulating knees make climbing easier, water resistance, tough construction, lightweight. I'm sold.

If you hear elk chuckling a lot during the season, it's because your camo doesn't match. Just FYI.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
I bought lots of camo stuff mostly because of the quality of the gear at the time. I did most of my bigger hiking and backpacking trips in camo mostly because I wasn’t interested in spending the money twice. Now the quality hunting clothing manufacturers are making lots of solid colors too. My go-to pants are solid gray now and I’ve got a few solid color top layers too. Folks can talk all they want about some blue jeans and a flannel shirt but you won’t catch me in that stuff 5 miles from the truck in a white out. Mostly you won’t catch me because I would have to head back to said truck so I don’t die of hypothermia.

Who said anything about hunting in blue Jean s :chuckle: All I have seen is pro and cons of is camo really that important? I think wool is better than any synthetic they have ever made and will continue with my green woolies and plaid red and black jacket till I die or they actually come up with something better. It’s quiet warm and mostly a lot less expensive 👍 lion from last week it was freezing outside I was warm

As far as the blue jeans comment, it seems like every time this topic comes up, someone chimes in how all you need is a good pair of blue jeans and a flannel shirt to kill all the animals you want. It was more meant to be a joke than anything else but anyway...

:tup: I get it I have seen those comments in other threads as well. We have all probably managed to harvest some nice animals In jeans but I agree wouldn’t want to be way back in bad weather with them lol. I was just promoting the best hunting clothes wool! I feel like some hunters are being taken advantage of by some of the high dollar new camouflage clothing companies. The old red and black plaid jacket is the original digital camo in my opinion.  :chuckle:I think it breaks up your outline but the red might keep an idiot from shooting you in states like Idaho where orange is not required. The truth for me and my experience in really nasty weather is a combination of some of the newer stuff paired with the old school wool has been best. Back to the original question I don’t think the shade of grey jacket matters but green wool pants blend in well in most of Idaho!

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »

Love my Wool stuff from Filson, wool rich, codet etc.... warm when wet and also heavy! But the stuff is great on late season November and December hunts but it has its place. The newer synthetics also have their places earlier in the year and usually farther from the truck! I won’t go anywhere without wool base layers though. Either way both have their places. As far as camo or color? Pick whichever appeals to you because you care a whole lot more about what you look like than the animals do.

:tup:

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »

If you hear elk chuckling a lot during the season, it's because your camo doesn't match. Just FYI.

;) Re, making sure your clothes and camo match when in the woods...

When our younger son was about 6, he was going with me to take a load to the dump, then cut a load of firewood to bring home.  I waited for him to get ready and finally said, “C'mon, D, let's go.”

In tears he called from his room, “My socks don't match my pants!” 

I looked at his mother, and she said, “Maybe I have overdone it in teaching the boys to wear clothes that match.”

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 05:45:19 PM »
I love wool, but it's not the perfect clothing in all situations. In alot of more arid and open country rifle hunting ( think mid/late October hunts out west) it's might even be considered downright poor choice for insulation and outerwear pieces.

Offline Aginor

• Tracker
  • https://caltopo.com/m/B201
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »
A thank you to those that suggested a location / manufacturer of a snowny brush pattern
 I am not trying to offend anyone and if I do I apologize in advance
Yes everyone can at one time or other get lucky and kill something wearing everyday street clothes adapted for hunting and there are those that insist on using blinds instead of learning to blend in or make a blind out of material already in the woods, however consider me not only old but old school where a hunter uses every advantage he/she can to put the odds in their favor so if it means wearing camo that is close to what is in the area he/she is hunting that is what I'll do BUT I'm not going to spend $250.00 for the top and another $200.00 for bottoms

So how often does a guy have to do that before it is regular occurence, and not dumb luck?  I dont wear camo.  My big game kills last season were at 15, 40, 17 and 5 yards.  No "scent control" either.  Luck every time?  Or maybe, just maybe, camo isnt all that important?  It might just be a way to get guys to spend more money on stuff.  But if it makes you feel more confident, i guess that counts for something too.

Here is a picture of a mountain lion.  One of natures most capable close range ambush predators.  Notice, they wear solids.   :chuckle:
😂 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
I hunt rifle so camo does not really matter to me. Though my hunting pants happen to be camo. I do believe the Blaze Orange hunting vests, coats, etc... do stand out to animals. Not as day glow orange, but as a huge solid light spot that does not happen in nature often. I try to buy the Blaze Orange vests that have a broken pattern on them (I would not call it camo) or use a black indelible marker to make but I believe it will help break up that big blob of light color a little.
But then I shot a buck at 25 yards, while I was sitting in plain sight, wearing blue jeans and a solid white T-shirt, as it was walking down draw totally oblivious.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt