collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Line Counters  (Read 2754 times)

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Line Counters
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:04:28 PM »
Who uses line counters and how do you like them? Brands? I know there are plenty of line counting reels, but do not want to re-spool my rods if there is a decent clamp on line counter.

Thanks
IAFF #3728

Online carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Line Counters
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:10:54 PM »
I have a Berkley clamp on I am going to play with this year seems ok but nothing great. I just picked up a couple abu digital line counters and have some diawa accudepth's that do alright.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:59:28 PM »
Shimano Tekotas, Daiwa lexa, the okuma ones have been okay, I have heard the new ones out with the 5 ball bearings if I remember right have been a much better reel.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
I've had great luck with my okuma Coldwater reels. I have 3 now dedicated to my downrigger salmon rods and going on 3 year's they are flawless...super smooth.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:11:48 PM »
I've had great luck with my okuma Coldwater reels. I have 3 now dedicated to my downrigger salmon rods and going on 3 year's they are flawless...super smooth.

already returned 2 for the drags just quit working. Not to include after a year of use the line counters started sticking and have to reel up and reset counter and if I am reeling up some to change depth it wont count. I will not buy them again. Tekotas are worth the money

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:29:20 PM »

already returned 2 for the drags just quit working. Not to include after a year of use the line counters started sticking and have to reel up and reset counter and if I am reeling up some to change depth it wont count. I will not buy them again. Tekotas are worth the money

Oh I love Shimano stuff...I've just had really good luck with my okuma's so far. Hopefully it continues.

Offline HereDuckyDucky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:41 PM »
All purpose salmon reel -- Shimano Tekota for the win.

RW

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 11:57:13 PM »
What’s your preferred size Tekota?  Say for 120+ foot deep Kokanee and general salmon without a downrigger.  I want to fish at fixed depths but not mess with anything but a rod and reel. 

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:14 AM »
I never fish that deep, max I have fished salmon at the reach is 80' on cannon balls and 120' with divers. with todays braid all sizes really work.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 05:17:11 AM »
Okuma low pro. Have several with no complaints some are 3yrs old. Not real old but used 😉🥃🇺🇸
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »
I have a Berkley clamp on I am going to play with this year seems ok but nothing great. I just picked up a couple abu digital line counters and have some diawa accudepth's that do alright.

Perfect thanks!

I have good reels but wanted to try something different without having to fork out a bunch of cash for new reels. I have just old school counted the number of passes the level wind makes to make a decent "guess" how far out my lure is, but will be fishing with a bunch of kids this spring and it will be easier to have them go to a certain number on the counter.
IAFF #3728

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 08:04:28 AM »

I have also had 2 Okuma Coldwaters that the drags went TU on. For Salmon I like the Tekotas, for walleye I like The Daiwa Lexa.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
The new tekota 500 line counters are great for salmon on the salt.  They hold around 400 yards of #30 braid.  If you dont need that much capacity you could go down a size to in think the tekota 300.  I prefer the size of the 500 over the 300 though.  It fits nicely in my hand with the rod

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 10:56:29 AM »
Tekota guy here.  I have them on all my salmon rods but really only need them for jigging rods or mooching rods if you do that.  Not really needed for trolling rods

Offline Panic Minnow

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 08:08:47 AM »
The important part is to get the line counter real spooled with the correct amount of line to be accurate, unless you care about just getting close. Here is a link to a video that I used to get them really close, within a foot.

I have the Okuma Coldwater, and they seem to be good. I have read somewhere that they use the Daiwa counter on their reels....

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal