collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new hound  (Read 4343 times)

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
new hound
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
i just bought a redbone/blutick mix and figured some of you guys on here might share some tips on training him. I'll probably hunt coons but i was wondering if you train them for coons, how hard would it be to add bears and cats in there? He'll be hunting a few times with an experienced black and tan. i have quite a few questions and if anybody is willing to help i'd appreciate it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: new hound
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:44:09 PM »
machias??
he's the hound-man.

good looking pup for sure.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
I'd be more then happy to offer a little advice.  Nothing cuter IMO then a hound pup. 

First off how old is he?  Does he come from hunting parents?  Right now teach him love, respect and manners.  Lead properly, sit, stay, come when called, kennel when told and load in the truck when told.  Little lessons repeated over and over is a good foundation.  Buy some good coon scent.  Put it on a rag and string and play keep away.  While he is chasing it tell him to sicum, over and over.  Later on when it's hard to keep it away from him, then hide it in the yard with a short drag trail to it. Take him out and tell him sicum and watch his body demeanor change as he hunts for his rag.  Lots of praise.  Don't get in a big hurry to have him running and treeing coon before he is ready.  Make sure the black and tan is dead broke and not ill in any way.  Pups can be ruined in a second with a grouchy dog or a trashy dog.  Also probably the very best book for starting coonhound puppies is Tom Solberg's "Dog Talk".  Excellent book that will take years off your learning curve.

PS, most guys start their bear and cats dogs on coon first, it's a good natural progression.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »
thanks for the advice, i'll probably have more questions a different day.
also, i've heard some scents aren't worth using and Gnawes(spell?) is the best???

Offline johnsc6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:58:26 PM »
HUNTING HIM/HER WITH A GOOD OLD DOG IS THE BEST ADVICE. I'VE BASICALLY STARTED OVER TWICE.  YOU CAN MAKE A SOLID DOG OUT A MEDIOCRE PROSPECT WITH ALOT OF HOURS AND EXTRA WORK BUT THE BEST DOGS IN THE WOODS ARE BORN THAT WAY.  YOU JUST NEED TO INTRODUCE THE DOG TO DESIRED GAME TO FIND OUT.  GOOD LUCK.

Online Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »
Good lookin pup

do hunt any lion here in washington? out of 5 in our group 4 of them drew tags, me being the guy who didnt draw one, but atleast i'll be able to run some cats around. just got a newer pup myself, guna start running her on soon coons pretty soon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]