collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First time hunting - heading to 101  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: First time hunting - heading to 101
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
If you actually hunt, you won’t see many people.   With that said, you better capitalize on every good opportunity you get.  They aren’t frequent in that region, but I always enjoyed quality over quantity anyway.   Good luck.

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 06:16:21 PM »

With any luck just after sunrise someone wearing 900$ worth of Sitka gear camo with an orange vest over the top

I never understood this. What is the point of having camo everything when you're just going to cover it up with bright orange?
My best clothing I have bought is for hunting, the majority of it was only available in camo. I also wear the same stuff for archery elk as I do for modern deer. That being said far too many people put too much importance on having the newest pattern, or making sure it all matches.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline SpicyTacos

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 10:04:05 AM »
I was there last year for muzzleloader. Not many people. There was a huge snowstorm that dropped a lot of snow. I thought surely some animals would get pushed down. But it was my first time there. I checked out Bamber and Vulcan. I only saw two super nice wide muley forks on Vulcan.
I ran into a guy cutting firewood he said his buddy hunts Bamber and does well. Fire wood cutter said he does not do a deer camp anymore just shoots whitetail from his property. Maybe find a private property to hunt?
Beating the crowds will be tough. You can however use other hunters to push animals to you. There’s most likely bucks in there just gonna be hard to get to them.Good luck!

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
Good luck to you but I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high. I’ve hunted 101 my entire life and the deer numbers are very very low. I’m not saying it can’t be done, if you hunt hard you can get into some deer and you never know when you might luck out and find a nice buck in a weird place.
As mentioned earlier there’s a lot of county that is nearly devoid of life. A technique I’ve started using is find an area that looks like it will hold some deer, preferably near a wide spot on a road. By looking at the lay of the land find what looks like the best escape route for game, usually down a draw or canyon. Then on opening morning park your pickup a good distance away, stay well away from the good looking area, and with the cover of darkness sneak into a good vantage point of the escape route.
With any luck just after sunrise someone wearing 900$ worth of Sitka gear camo with an orange vest over the top of it will go tromping through the good looking area like a herd of elephants. He’ll never even see the buck that he pushed to you and you’ll have meat in the freezer!

Such a true story...but I wear first Lite gear :chuckle:

Is that the key to the Wyoming mule bucks?

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:18 AM »
Looks like you may have lucked out. Sherman pass got some snow yesterday.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:30 AM »
Can be cold has hell in the mornings, one year it was 18 degrees and all our water was frozen.  quit hunting there years ago, miss that place but it will never be like it was in the past.  Good luck.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
Put some miles on the boots before dark, and then some hours behind the glass after that.  With all the other guys staying near the roads, you're bound to see some animals moving around at first light.

Offline highmuley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
There's snow in the higher elevations.
Its the goin'.....Not the gettin'

Offline BernerPop

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 04:53:51 AM »
Thank you all for the sound advice! Start safe out there, good luck, and have a great season!

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2020, 06:20:57 AM »
This guys alive along with his 3 equal sized buddies

These 2 are both alive too

And this guy

And this trickster

As well as a bunch more that I’ve jumped or just didn’t get pictures of. Deer numbers are lower than 20 years ago but they’re still high. Those were also just on the other side of a hill from a road or in the draw below them. Don’t need to get far off road. And there’s a lot of nice deer this year too. It’s been freezing and then getting decent during the afternoon so dress warm and layer. Vulcan had a couple nice deer but with that fire I dunno if any got pushed out to Canada or down towards goosmus. Go a couple miles up the river from curlew in the evening to see a real nice potential display in the fields before tonata rd. I drove by a couple weeks ago and there had to be a hundred mulies and some huge bucks. No hunting but it’s fun to just watch and get amped up. Imagine what’s hiding back in some basin.

Good luck and reach out if you need any help!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline MooseZ25

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2020, 08:30:56 AM »
Good luck to you but I wouldn’t get your hopes up too high. I’ve hunted 101 my entire life and the deer numbers are very very low. I’m not saying it can’t be done, if you hunt hard you can get into some deer and you never know when you might luck out and find a nice buck in a weird place.
As mentioned earlier there’s a lot of county that is nearly devoid of life. A technique I’ve started using is find an area that looks like it will hold some deer, preferably near a wide spot on a road. By looking at the lay of the land find what looks like the best escape route for game, usually down a draw or canyon. Then on opening morning park your pickup a good distance away, stay well away from the good looking area, and with the cover of darkness sneak into a good vantage point of the escape route.
With any luck just after sunrise someone wearing 900$ worth of Sitka gear camo with an orange vest over the top of it will go tromping through the good looking area like a herd of elephants. He’ll never even see the buck that he pushed to you and you’ll have meat in the freezer!

Such a true story...but I wear first Lite gear :chuckle:

Is that the key to the Wyoming mule bucks?
I will admit I was very impressed with First Lite gear on this hunt.  I will continue to put it to the test during Washington deer hunt and hope it keeps my luck going.  :tup:
Live Every Day To The Fullest

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline BernerPop

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 07:31:36 AM »
Getting completely skunked so far, but having an amazing time. My buddy and I have only seen a couple 2 point mulies, and not much of anything else. I'm currently sitting on the north side of Bamber Mountain, soaking in the beautiful landscape.

2 days to go, fingers crossed!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
Seeing bucks on your first WA hunt is already a victory.  Just gotta grow that 3rd point  :chuckle:

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 08:20:58 PM »
Snow tomorrow should help as long as you are out and about all day.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]