collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Intro Bow Package & Gear  (Read 6687 times)

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Intro Bow Package & Gear
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:48:24 AM »
I'd like to get myself fully outfitted with the needed list of equipment by the end of the year. Plan is to start shooting and practicing throughout next year until September where I'll try out my first Archery Elk Season. At first I thought I would want to spend around $500, but that doesn't seem realistic. I don't want to have the Best Bow & Package right off the bat... I think it would be wise for me to find a great, cost-efficient introductory package and make sure that I am comfortable and happy after my first season. I do wonder about the attached gear that is included with packages though, i.e: arrow rests (wisker biscuits vs drop rests), pin sights etc... What percentage of people upgrade these types of items right after they purchase their package, vs shooting with what it comes with? I'd appreciate all you Archery guys to chime in on these brands/packages and let me know how my compass is pointing...   Should I shop at Cabelas/Bass Pro? Or are there better online platforms to buy new?
Bear Archery: Paradox RTH
PSE: Stinger Max RTH
Diamond by Bowtech Deploy   & Infinite  & Edge

Still need to get my DL measured by a tech. But from my @ home measurements, it'll be between 27.5 to 28 ". Assuming to start I'll fall in the 55-65lb DW category...
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline Huntnfish89

• Pilgrim
Re: Intro Bow Package & Gear
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
You and me both brother lol  I just posted something very similar.

Offline HUNT JR

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 10:05:51 AM »
As was said in the other thread, Archery Talk forum is a great place for things like this. When I first started archery, i bought a Mathews switchback off that site and then outfitted it with cheaper accessories to get started. Since then, I have upgraded every piece including a new bow. That site always has used bows for sale at a decent price. I would look at a couple year old flagship bow. You would be way better off with one of those than a bow sold at cabelas in my opinion. As far as accessories, I prefer a fall away rest, but a whisker biscuit is not bad to start. I would recommend a trophy ridge react site to start because it can be sighted in out to 60 very quickly and then you can be off and shooting fast.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
HuntnFish, yep...It's a lot to take in and grasp every detail that comes with this style of hunting. Many more pieces to the puzzle...Haha.

HuntJr, thanks for that! I've been scratching my head on whether or not it would be a good idea to buy second hand, as I wouldn't know the condition of the bowstrings and other parts... So what if I purchased a matthews or hoyt for $600 and then I take it to Nock Point or somewhere else and they tell me that the strings need to be replaced and the ______ is going out... So I could potentially be spending $1000 -$1200 now on a used bow.  I do understand there is a material and build difference with the more elite series bows...

I see both sides of it...buying a quality bow and the gear will probably leave me feeling physically better when I send the arrow flying...But then I think of all the youth/women/men who go to a box store, buy the package, then a pack of arrows, release, get sighted in and start practicing, and then that next season or beyond they are killing Deer and Elk...

Lots of things to consider here

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »
If your interested in a PSE, give Denton a call at Rock Creek Archery. He will set you straight and be able to get you on your way. I have been in the shop there a few times and it’s always been a good experience. Hoyt has an entry level bow they released this year as well, Doug at Great Northwest Archery is a great guy as well. As far as components and stuff that will be personal choice and it’s also where you can spend a lot of money, but you get what you pay for (like buying optics). I prefer a drop away rest and when looking at a sight make sure it’s durable and adjustable.

Finding a good shop is just as important as the gear you buy. As a new archer I spent a lot of time bugging the guys at the archery shops I buy stuff from. That relationship for me is worth it, even if you have to drive a ways. Good luck!

Offline HUNT JR

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 10:41:40 AM »
I suppose the risk of buying second hand is up to you. For myself, I have done it twice and faired well both times. I also ask a lot of questions, and get a lot of pictures from the seller to give myself as good of an idea of the condition as possible. I do know that some of those beginner bows from the major companies are still good bows. I am not positive on if they fit in your budget or not. That would be a good place to look if you aren't comfortable buying used.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »
PacificNWHunter, thanks for that feedback!  I've been down to rock creek, Denton is a good guy.  Very valid points. Will want to make sure I find a quality shop, and one that will happily answer my questions and give me the support I need.  Hopefully in turn, I can continue to buy accessories and have repairs done by them.

HUNTJR,  That is good to know you have had good past experiences. I guess if I find a needle in a haystack, I may want to find a pro shop member or someone with a lot of experience to check out and help make my decision. I shouldn't dog on used purchases, I'm sure a lot of guys take care of their equipment.  I definitely understand "Getting what you pay for"

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 11:27:57 AM »

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »
70lbs right out the gate is going to be a tough pull. I got my first bow last year, used PSE Surge, and I've still got it set at 42lbs while I keep working on my shooting form. The high let off is nice but you still have to overcome the initial draw weight and if you haven't used those muscles before it can be rough. Good luck, it's been a blast for me so far.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
Ok good to know.  This is probably a dumb question...so my apologies. If a used bow is set to X amount of draw weight.... But it comes stock with a range, lets say 55-70.. Can you have someone dial it down?

Offline HUNT JR

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Yes someone can dial it down for you. I also agree, 70lbs can be tough until those muscles are built up. I started with 60-70 pound limbs and shot that bow at 60 or so pounds for awhile until I built the strength up. On the Hoyt bows, just know exactly what your draw length is, if i remember right, switching those cams to change draw length is not cheap.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
For sure. It's odd, on the post it just says 28-30 DL... But doesn't say what his is set at.. If mine's at 28, then should be good. However, weight range is 60-70 on that bow, and set to 70 currently.... as mentioned prior...Even if dialed down,  what if 60 is too much for me, and year 1 I'm struggling to get to draw and hold proper form... Probably need to get into a shop and have them build me up from 45lbs and higher to see exact numbers

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
I’ve gone both routes I’ve bought used with good outcomes but also have bought ready to hunt packages for both my daughters with great results
The diamond edge is a great set up with lots of adjustments that you can make at home without a bow press
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
Thanks huntnfamily!

Offline HUNT JR

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
I think a good place to start would be at an archery shop in your case. I would guess that they will be able to get you an exact draw length and then let you shoot bows there and possibly play with draw weight so you can see what you can even pull back. Once you have that information, then you would have a great starting point.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal