collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leupold Gold Ring spotter ???  (Read 3938 times)

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
Leupold Gold Ring spotter ???
« on: December 06, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
Anyone have input on the Gold Ring 12-40X60 spotter

I like Leupold scopes but hate their Bino's. How good are their spotters
The mountains are calling and I must go

Online bugs n bones

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA, SCI
Re: Leupold Gold Ring spotter ???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »
Just got one last year , I love it

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
I've had one for, I believe, 17 years.  The only problem is I use it a ton and bend the rubber eye cup and then it gets a crack in it.  No big deal though, it works just fine without an eye cup and Leupold always sends me a hand full of spares at not cost to me so I have one readily available for replacement.  The compact size makes it easy to pack.  It's been dropped or tipped over many, many times.  I have even used it for a quick rest for a shot once, tipped on end, with the ocular straight up.  I have never used it with the protecting cover it comes with, too much added weight.  I use my glove, shirt, whatever I have to clean the lenses off. 

In 17 years, if you only knew what kind of animals have found it's way in that scope, been packed all over the west.       

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
I've had the HD version for about 10 years. I like the size, weight and the fact it starts at 12x which gives a good field of view for scanning an area. Eye relief is excellent especially at lower powers. I also have a Swarovski 80mm which is optically better but I usually end up taking the Leupold for the reasons mentioned above.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-12-40x60-golden-ring-hd-spotting-scope.30449/
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
I have had one for about 4 years. Very good quality for the money and fairly lite weight. Not quite like a Swarovski but still very good. If you have patience you can save a lot of money buying used. I bought my leupold off this hunt Washington classified. Saved several hundred dollars versus new.

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
I have had one for quite a while. I've thought about replacing it over the years and it is still the only spotter I own. The weight of anything else always brings me back to my trusty Gold Ring.

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »
If you're on a budget I prefer Vortex spotters over Leupold. Better product for the money. If you're looking for a good compact spotter I would look into Kowa, a bit more expensive but really nice glass.

Offline Stevewazfishing

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 03:40:42 PM »
Anyone know how the leupold gold ring compares to the vortex viper? I have the viper 15-45x65 and I’m wondering if the gold ring 12-40x60 would b a better fit for me. It’s smaller in size and is a considerable amount lighter than the viper. Just wondering if it’s optically better in field conditions as far as brightness and clarity goes during lower light situations?

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 03:43:06 PM »
Anyone know how the leupold gold ring compares to the vortex viper? I have the viper 15-45x65 and I’m wondering if the gold ring 12-40x60 would b a better fit for me. It’s smaller in size and is a considerable amount lighter than the viper. Just wondering if it’s optically better in field conditions as far as brightness and clarity goes during lower light situations?

I have compared the viper to the gold ring and it wasn't even close.  The viper is far better.

I like Leupold scopes but there spotters and bino's I would call garbage.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Stevewazfishing

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 03:48:07 PM »

Wow. That’s impressive considering the viper is almost half the price of the gold ring. One of these days I may upgrade if I can ever figure out what I want to upgrade to lol

I have compared the viper to the gold ring and it wasn't even close.  The viper is far better.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »
I've had one for, I believe, 17 years.  The only problem is I use it a ton and bend the rubber eye cup and then it gets a crack in it.  No big deal though, it works just fine without an eye cup and Leupold always sends me a hand full of spares at not cost to me so I have one readily available for replacement.  The compact size makes it easy to pack.  It's been dropped or tipped over many, many times.  I have even used it for a quick rest for a shot once, tipped on end, with the ocular straight up.  I have never used it with the protecting cover it comes with, too much added weight.  I use my glove, shirt, whatever I have to clean the lenses off. 

In 17 years, if you only knew what kind of animals have found it's way in that scope, been packed all over the west.       

:yeah: Have had mine for over 12 years.  Same problem with the rubber eyecup, which isn't really much of a problem.  A little trouble finding a Phoneskope that works well on it (seems like you need an adapter for the adapter...), but otherwise I love mine.  Good glass.   :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
I have one I could sell. Let me know if you are interested.  Located in Spokane.  Hardly ever used it.

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
Currently have Leica, 3 Swarovski including BTX with multiple objective lens, Doctor 30x, Ziess, but when throwing on pack where weight is a factor Leupold is always stuffed inside. Only thing I changed from original 20+ years ago was went to HD, plus very handy when glassing from vehicle.
Note: I use and like Leupold scopes but not a fan of their current binos at all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:24:26 AM by BKMFR »

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »
I run the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50 Compact when packing in.

It's a great spotter, perfect for shoving in the pack, takes up very little room.

Compared to my Vortex Viper I'd say it's a step up in physical quality and on par with glass quality. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]