collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming elk ideas???  (Read 1105 times)

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Wyoming elk ideas???
« on: January 27, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »
So I am THINKING about putting in for the Wyoming elk draw this year.  I have been intensely studying five different options with 10 points in my pocket.  Probably will be a once in a lifetime kind of hunt being that I am now 55.  (I might possibly in the future go again on a hunt that requires much less points).  My first choice would have been unit 2 or 16 but I know I probably don't have the points to obtain those tags.  So the hunts I have been studying have been: 19-1, 19-2, 23-1, 45-1, and 120-1.  These hunts are possibly within my grasp with the points I have.  I have studied OnX maps of these areas and have studied the Wyoming hunt planner web page for each of these hunts.  Any information good or bad would be much appreciated before the January 31st deadline.  I might wait another year but I am retiring this year and will possibly have free time this late summer/early fall to make a trip over there and scout out an area if I drew.  If there are other areas that you know of that are possible with 10 points please let me know your thoughts.  I picked the above partially because they are decent terrain for a 55 year old and not hell-holes.  I can still put in 8-10 miles a day and I am in decent shape but not looking for a killer hunt that will do me in.

Another option I have thought of is applying for an area that I know I wont get on my first choice and then applying for a cow tag for my second choice in the area that I would hope to hunt for bulls the following year.  This way I could go over for a low pressure cow hunt and learn the area for the next years bull hunt.  I'm pretty sure that if you draw your second choice you don't loose your points.  Please feel free to correct me if this is not correct.  Thanks!
Zonk Volmer

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Wyoming elk ideas???
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 02:00:17 PM »
You are correct, I wonder if you draw a general elk tag as your second choice you keep your points as well?  If so, I’d look at general elk tags, there are good areas w general elk tags, keep your points, hunt bulls ever year?? 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 02:27:57 PM »
You are correct, I wonder if you draw a general elk tag as your second choice you keep your points as well?  If so, I’d look at general elk tags, there are good areas w general elk tags, keep your points, hunt bulls ever year??
You wont draw a general tag and keep your points.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »
You wont draw a general tag and keep your points.
^^^this. General tag is gonna take 3.5-4pts this year to draw as a first choice.

Id be leary of 19 type 2. I feel most those elk are gonna be onto private come November.  I could also be dead wrong on that too  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 04:44:52 PM »
I wouldn't consider 19 from my research.  120 would be nice easy country but I've been told there aren't many elk on public.  45 is going to be bigger steeper country than you want.  23 would be a good hunt for archery and maybe the first week of rifle season.  After that the elk will head for the private.  I have a unit that might be an option for you if you want to PM me.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU