collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring bear in the northeast techniques and times  (Read 10350 times)

Offline MooseZ25

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Spring bear in the northeast techniques and times
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
I spotted my first bear for 2021 in Douglas Unit the other day.  Spot and stalk is my preferred method to hunt spring bears.  Lot's of time on the glass around areas I find a sign that interests me.  May when the bear start to rut can be awesome.  Find the sign find the bear. 
Live Every Day To The Fullest

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 07:45:27 AM »
I spotted my first bear for 2021 in Douglas Unit the other day.  Spot and stalk is my preferred method to hunt spring bears.  Lot's of time on the glass around areas I find a sign that interests me.  May when the bear start to rut can be awesome.  Find the sign find the bear.

Do you think it really matters what direction a slope is facing or just wherever the green is? The unit I’ll be hunting seems to be mostly clear cuts mixed with thick forest.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
Been successful on many hunts with me, family and friends.  Find food, find sign and find bears.  Good grass (not big blade grass), water, piles of poop (everywhere) and then find the bear.  I spend a ton of time behind the glass and moving from a couple different areas that have sign.  Good Luck.

I have tried calling with very little success....but I also have no idea what I am doing. 

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 07:53:42 AM »
My opinion is that the direction the slope faces is not important, the green is.  However the catch is, the green is made by the sun, and the sun hits southern slopes first and longest.

So north facing green is fine, but in rarer supply.

But I have chased bears for years without success so take any of my advice with a grain of salt!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline MooseZ25

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 08:04:16 AM »

Do you think it really matters what direction a slope is facing or just wherever the green is? The unit I’ll be hunting seems to be mostly clear cuts mixed with thick forest.

I always chase the green early in the spring season.  Later when everything greens up I will look for sign like scat or tracks in the mud. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 08:06:09 AM »
Remember those big bears with the humps on their backs aren’t black bears

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »

Are there really very many? Say percentage of grizz to black?

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 09:19:53 AM »

Are there really very many? Say percentage of grizz to black?

Just a big color phase is all..... :o

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 09:54:40 AM »
What I want to know is who’s fault is it if a grizzly gets shot in an area where they are not forcing the hunters to take the identification test. They are doing their due diligence by forcing us to be able to identify them in certain areas. Seems like it would be a pretty good defense if someone accidentally shot one in an area where the test is not required. Or are they treating them like mule deer and Blacktail. Once the mule deer cross the Columbia crest Trail it  becomes a Blacktail So once the grizzly leaves the units they have id tests for does he become a black bear?

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »
What I want to know is who’s fault is it if a grizzly gets shot in an area where they are not forcing the hunters to take the identification test. They are doing their due diligence by forcing us to be able to identify them in certain areas. Seems like it would be a pretty good defense if someone accidentally shot one in an area where the test is not required. Or are they treating them like mule deer and Blacktail. Once the mule deer cross the Columbia crest Trail it  becomes a Blacktail So once the grizzly leaves the units they have id tests for does he become a black bear?

asked a similar question to WDFW calling in a wolf sighting a couple years ago... was told "sir, there are no wolves there" i followed with "then its ok for me to shoot that trophy coyote when i see it again right?" .. and then silence...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
That’s great to hear you’re seeing them up and moving around. Can I ask what time of day you saw it?

Offline MooseZ25

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
That’s great to hear you’re seeing them up and moving around. Can I ask what time of day you saw it?

It was mid day after the sun came up and was shining on a south facing hillside.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 08:34:40 AM »

It was mid day after the sun came up and was shining on a south facing hillside.
WOW :yike:
Already up and moving.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline bhawley76

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »
I seen one yesterday run across the road, It was a small cinnamon that looked like he needed a cheeseburger or 3.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2021, 11:51:00 AM »
And this is why guys get fired up and start hunting early.  You start reading all the bear sightings and you get fired up and rip roar out of the gate and hunt your tail off and then by the end of April you are flat out wore out and haven't seen a dang thing and oh the crappie are biting....Wow, it's already the end of the season?   :chuckle: :chuckle:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal