collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WY cutting back on Antelope tags  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: WY cutting back on Antelope tags
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
I saw the draft proposal, points this year.  They cut my tag last year and it isn't even offered this year, if next year is bleak I might need to find a new area or two.

Offline Farmer72

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
Not all of the areas got cut. The proposal for the area I put in for went up by 25 tags over last year. At least for any antelope. The does they cut the number some.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:52:43 PM »
The units I hunt have been cut the last two years. Two years ago there were leftover type 6 licenses. Not any longer. There are still a couple units that will have leftovers I can hunt but only because I have private access. There is almost no public land which is why demand is low.

It has become progressively harder to get antelope tags.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 10:00:13 AM »
From the Lander region:

Pronghorn classification surveys are conducted just before the hunting season begins, in August and September each year. These are done by field personnel driving designated routes across each hunt area and all pronghorn groups are carefully observed to tally the number of does, fawns, yearling bucks, and adult bucks Then data from all hunt areas within a herd unit are combined to determine the age and sex composition of the herd. So, for the Beaver Rim pronghorn herd unit, there are seven hunt areas that have been tracked together since 1994 (Hunt Areas 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 74, and 106).

Last fall, Game and Fish staff observed a 40% decline in the number of pronghorn along the same routes driven in 2019 (and for many years before that). Even though that is a pretty dramatic change, there are factors that can affect the number of animals seen. A bigger concern is that the ratio of fawns per 100 does was the lowest observed in 25 years. There was almost no rain across much of the Lander Region in 2020, with only 6/10ths of an inch of rain from Easter until Labor Day at the Lander Airport (about 88% below average). Combining such dry conditions after a pretty hard winter in 2019-20, pronghorn had a rough year. Survival of fawns born in 2019 was also lower than average, with the number of yearling bucks observed in fall 2020 being much lower than average. Several groups of pronghorn were observed in September with ribs and hip bones showing, indicating these animals were having a hard time finding good forage last summer. All this information points to a declining population, so it’s likely there will be very few doe/fawn licenses in the 2021 hunting season and fewer Type 1 licenses which are valid for any antelope, but for which most hunters harvest bucks.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regional-Offices/Lander-Region/Lander-Region-News/How-are-the-big-game-herds-around-Lander
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:01:21 AM »
Wow, bad news but thanks for posting.  Where I hunt they have been hammered for 2-3 years now.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
My brother is a resident and hasn't drawn his tag in 11 years.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]