collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: For all the Dodge mechanics out there. (The Sequel)  (Read 13242 times)

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: For all the Dodge mechanics out there.
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2021, 07:47:29 PM »
I'll be in the office Wednesday and Thursday. If you're coming through one of those days let me know and I'll set them outside the fence on the gravel driveway. Grab them whenever is convenient for you.  Good luck!
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2021, 10:04:37 PM »
Who knew a flywheel had springs.   :dunno:  :o  Guess I'm still old school chevy.  :chuckle:  I mentioned when I took it in, " I've been expecting it to be due for a clutch".

They all have springs.

Clutch, yes.   It's the 2 piece heavy flywheel that was new to me.

Dual mass flywheel I think they call it. I really derped on that picture I posted. Oops.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2021, 08:31:08 AM »
Lots of things won’t set codes. Lots and lots of things.

The tough thing about clutches and associated parts is it’s tough to accurately diagnose a problem there when you can’t see it. Most technicians don’t like to guess what’s wrong with a vehicle. They want to be able to verify it. Sometimes to be able to verify something, things need to come apart.  Sometimes they’re wrong. Not often( at least not the good techs) but sometimes. Sometimes it’s a process of elimination.

Glad they got it fixed for you.

Oh, that's how you do it?  If there isn't a code, I start with the cheapest part that could be the cause and keep replacing increasingly expensive parts until I get the right one.  I figure any wrong guesses would need to be replaced at some point anyways.   :chuckle:

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
Lots of things won’t set codes. Lots and lots of things.

The tough thing about clutches and associated parts is it’s tough to accurately diagnose a problem there when you can’t see it. Most technicians don’t like to guess what’s wrong with a vehicle. They want to be able to verify it. Sometimes to be able to verify something, things need to come apart.  Sometimes they’re wrong. Not often( at least not the good techs) but sometimes. Sometimes it’s a process of elimination.

Glad they got it fixed for you.

Oh, that's how you do it?  If there isn't a code, I start with the cheapest part that could be the cause and keep replacing increasingly expensive parts until I get the right one.  I figure any wrong guesses would need to be replaced at some point anyways.   :chuckle:

To their credit, any part put on that didn't change or improve conditions came back off and I wasn't billed.  Not that bottom line wasn't a chunk of change.  :yike:  Stimulus funds are gone and some.  :(   It runs better, drives better, and that gives me piece of mind.   :tup:  Hopefully this is one hunting season I won't need a tow, knock on wood.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 09:02:32 AM »
Sounds like you have a good mechanic there!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
Next time remove that crappy dual mass flywheel n put a Valair or south bend kit in.  I did on my 06 and it was Great!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 07:30:47 PM »
Didn't have time to research and make a decision.  Another 15 years and 200,000 miles to decide, if it  gets the same mileage.

Online Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2021, 09:06:29 AM »
I’d start with injectors or your injector pump, all the pump does is make pressure
For the injectors to pop off, those themselves being a precision machines spring loaded device that when the proper pressure is obtained by the pump they atomize fuel, which is why in many manufacturers refer to injectors as nozzles or atomizers.

There could be a worn pintle inside the nozzle, a or a delivery valve may be worn inside the injection pump itself.

One thing to try would be unscrewing your fuel filter and filling it 100% full of
Marvel mystery oil, priming the system and running that through. No worries I’ve started 700+Hp diesels on straight mystery oil. It really cleans up and lubes up pumps and injectors.

Modern diesel is a very dry fuel with very little lubricants left in it due
To emissions.

I’d start there

Then do a compression test

Adjust your idle speed perhaps

And check your turbo for lash on the compressor wheel

Set your intake/exhaust valves too

Also on the 6BT platform the intake should have a preheater/air charge warmer which if that’s not functioning will cause a very rough idle until the engine has reached operating temperature as diesels are very temperature sensitive and will run very rough if they aren’t totally warm

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2021, 10:07:32 AM »
I’d start with injectors or your injector pump, all the pump does is make pressure
For the injectors to pop off, those themselves being a precision machines spring loaded device that when the proper pressure is obtained by the pump they atomize fuel, which is why in many manufacturers refer to injectors as nozzles or atomizers.

There could be a worn pintle inside the nozzle, a or a delivery valve may be worn inside the injection pump itself.

One thing to try would be unscrewing your fuel filter and filling it 100% full of
Marvel mystery oil, priming the system and running that through. No worries I’ve started 700+Hp diesels on straight mystery oil. It really cleans up and lubes up pumps and injectors.

Modern diesel is a very dry fuel with very little lubricants left in it due
To emissions.

I’d start there

Then do a compression test

Adjust your idle speed perhaps

And check your turbo for lash on the compressor wheel

Set your intake/exhaust valves too

Also on the 6BT platform the intake should have a preheater/air charge warmer which if that’s not functioning will cause a very rough idle until the engine has reached operating temperature as diesels are very temperature sensitive and will run very rough if they aren’t totally warm

Dude he already got it fixed, read back a few posts.🤣

And your suggestions didn’t fix it. :hello:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »

Yeah, that's what we all thought, right?  :rolleyes:  Good news is I had enough time to get our frig repaired(been down for a week) and working this morning for the wife before I left.   :tup:
Rest of the news.........Had truck all loaded and trailer hooked.  Headed out at 11:00 this morning, made it 10 miles before I heard a pop and power dropped, and a engine light indicator came on.  Managed to turn around, limp home and park trailer and truck in shop.  Now I'm wondering just who I pissed off so bad.   :dunno:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »

Yeah, that's what we all thought, right?  :rolleyes:  Good news is I had enough time to get our frig repaired(been down for a week) and working this morning for the wife before I left.   :tup:
Rest of the news.........Had truck all loaded and trailer hooked.  Headed out at 11:00 this morning, made it 10 miles before I heard a pop and power dropped, and a engine light indicator came on.  Managed to turn around, limp home and park trailer and truck in shop.  Now I'm wondering just who I pissed off so bad.   :dunno:

Did power cut out, and then come back!
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »
Power definitely did not come back.  And there is noise that shouldn't be there.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
The saga continues!

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2021, 01:50:56 PM »
Check to see if a Boost tube popped off.

Between turbo pipe - cooler  then cooler- intake.

Maybe someone didn't clamp one down tight enough.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal