collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where to go, landlocked newbie salmon fisher  (Read 4048 times)

Offline OCFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Where to go, landlocked newbie salmon fisher
« on: July 05, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
I moved to Seattle about ten years ago, from Alabama. Used to fish all the time, but was so busy after moving here that I never had time to go. I've got plenty of free time now, and want to get into some salmon once the season opens up. I picked up some basic gear (Okuma SST + Pflueger President, about half a dozen each of buzz bombs, rotators, twitch jigs, king killers), so now it's just where do I go to fish?

I live in Edmonds and don't have a boat, but I'm willing to drive a few hours to find good fishing. Kings and Coho would be awesome of course, but I'll be perfectly happy to limit out on pinks. So far here are the spots I've got on my list to try, in no particular order.

• Edmonds Fishing Pier (it's like a mile from my house, why not?)
  • Mukilteo Lighthouse Park
  • Possession Point
  • Deception Pass
  • Bush Point
  • Picnic Point Park

Any advice at all would be very appreciated. Are these decent spots to try? Better spots somewhere else? Advice on when to hit these spots and what to tie on?

Thanks in advance!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Where to go, landlocked newbie salmon fisher
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
One option if they still do it.....look up possession pt bait company....they have shoreline on whodbey and when in, think sept, you can cast herring under floats for coho. Good fun.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 12:47:39 PM »
What H20 said. Lots of fun fishing herring under floats there. Add Fort Casey to your spots. Just up the island from Bush Point and an excellent place for pinks and coho with all the gear you mentioned.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline OCFish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 01:21:44 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 01:24:13 PM »
Pm sent,  check your messages.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »
Kayak Park is a place where you can get at the pinks from shore, just look for the 50 other people doing it and find a spot.

If the sockeye are doing well, people catch them from at least the Skagit shores and probably other places.

The best bet is to make friends with someone who has a boat, that's what I did when I moved here from Montana and fished for about 10 years before I owned my own boat.

Edmonds is an excellent place to run a boat from, nice central location you can catch fish literally a few yards outside the marina and easy runs north or south.  I used to have an office just south of the ferry and would watch fish being caught all day while at work.  I had to move my desk to the opposite wall it was so distracting.

Offline OCFish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 05:32:15 PM »
Kayak Point was on my list, but unfortunately most of 8-2 is closed to salmon this summer. From the regs:

Summer Salmon Fishery: Aug. 14-Sept. 19: Fishing for salmon limited to
the area south and west of a line between Clinton and Mukilteo fishing
pier, and select dates within the Tulalip Terminal Area Salmon Fishery.

I think sockeye returns are supposed to be way down this year, too.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »
Carkeek, Golden Gardens & Lincoln Park should be open now for resident Coho. 

Offline OCFish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 05:54:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought to look that far south. Definitely going to check those out this week.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 07:25:02 PM »
Go across the sound to Point No Point. I fill a few punch cards casting out into the rip from from shore with a Kastmaster, Blue and silver, or plain silver, was very effective on Silvers.
Buzzbombs and Point Wilson Darts work on Kings and resident Blackmouth.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »
Kayak Point was on my list, but unfortunately most of 8-2 is closed to salmon this summer. From the regs:

That's a bummer, apparently 3 million pinks isn't enough for WDFW to grant opportunity for license holders.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 08:25:14 PM »

That's a bummer, apparently 3 million pinks isn't enough for WDFW to grant opportunity for license holders.

Well there has to first be enough to strip the eggs out and sell to Russia, then dump the carcasses near the river first.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline OCFish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 11:58:40 PM »
Got my first salmon today, out of Bush Point. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Was my second trip out. First trip was to Carkeek Park, which...yeah, I'm not going back there. Not a fishing friendly spot, though if there weren't a billion people crammed on the beach it looks like it would produce fish. And maybe if you showed up at dawn you could do some good, but no way late in the day like I tried.

The second spot, Bush Point, was packed with fishermen every few feet for as far as I could see. Had a bit of a spat with the guy to my right who kept casting so far to the left that he was crossing the lines of three or four people at once. All I said was that we were going to get tangled if he kept casting that way, he and his buddies acted like I'd slapped him and started whispering and pointing at me ("Did he say something to you? I'm going to say something to him, that's messed up..."), but I just ignored them and kept fishing.

I got there about an hour before high tide, and the bite seemed to be pretty strong. Passed three or four people in the parking lot who had limits, and one guy on the beach said he'd caught and released three silvers. Pretty much everyone was using a 2" pink rotator or buzz bomb, mostly without a hoochie. I started off with a 2" pink rotator and matching hoochie, but after about half an hour or so I switched over to a 3" pink and white UV buzz bomb with a hot pink hoochie to stand out a bit from the crowd. I've got some coon shrimp I meant to tip the hook with (1/0 sickle siwash), but I forgot them at home. Oh well, next time.

Left after just the one salmon. I was going to try to limit out, and maybe hand the rod off to my wife so she could get a limit too (yes, she's licensed), but my back was sore and I was annoyed at the people next to me so I decided to end it on a high note and take my prize home.

Thanks again, everyone!

Didn't weigh or measure, but it was just about the same length as my 18" cutting board.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 04:58:10 AM »
Nice!  :rockin:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »
I moved to Seattle about ten years ago, from Alabama. Used to fish all the time, but was so busy after moving here that I never had time to go. I've got plenty of free time now, and want to get into some salmon once the season opens up. I picked up some basic gear (Okuma SST + Pflueger President, about half a dozen each of buzz bombs, rotators, twitch jigs, king killers), so now it's just where do I go to fish?

I live in Edmonds and don't have a boat, but I'm willing to drive a few hours to find good fishing. Kings and Coho would be awesome of course, but I'll be perfectly happy to limit out on pinks. So far here are the spots I've got on my list to try, in no particular order.

• Edmonds Fishing Pier (it's like a mile from my house, why not?)
  • Mukilteo Lighthouse Park
  • Possession Point
  • Deception Pass
  • Bush Point
  • Picnic Point Park

Any advice at all would be very appreciated. Are these decent spots to try? Better spots somewhere else? Advice on when to hit these spots and what to tie on?

Thanks in advance!

This is a great example of a newer member post seeking info. Clearly, you did your own research first (as opposed to guys that come on asking...”where should I go for x?).
You gave some history providing perspective and showed some of your results. It’s so much easier for other members to offer up assistance knowing what you’re looking for.
And thanks for following up with your results!
As a disclaimer, I haven’t done much salmon fishing lately, but used to go out of Edmonds pretty regularly. Hope to be back at it by next season in a kayak (been researching for the past few months and will look for a used deal through the winter)
Much of my initial research started by using the search function in this and other forums. That’s how I discovered the Nucanoe brand based in Bellingham. Already demo’d two of their models and suspect they’re who I’ll go with when I’m ready to purchase.

I wasn’t sure if you’re wading or fishing with dry feet, but I had a really good discussion with a guy last year at carkeek park who was fly fishing for sea run cutthroats. He told me that a lot of guys wade right through some very productive water in the 2-3’ depths closest to shore thinking they had to get to deeper water. He told me he got a good percentage of his cutts in that close water. I can’t speak to salmon doing the same, but if you ever go after cutthroats...
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter