collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Incinerator toilets  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Incinerator toilets
« on: July 23, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
Anybody have any experience with incinerator toilets?

The bucket and bag method that’s currently employed at my shack has gotta go

Water table is a little high (18 ft I think) for septic, I’m on a well, I’m in the mountains where it regularly freezes and gets below zero at night, and power can be intermittent in the winter so I’m pretty much sold on the idea of getting a propane incinerator toilet but just don’t know where to begin and can’t find many options online and thought I’d check with the fine folks here and see if anybody has
Any experience or anything

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Re: Incinerator toilets
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »
I'm wondering since you are making methane and your using propane and a open flame. 
What could possibly go wrong. 🤔

Don't forget to buckle up and wear a helmet.

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 06:15:00 PM »
My neighbors had one in their workshop, I don't know which brand but it worked fine, didn't stink and was cheaper than hooking it to their septic tank. Just have to make sure its vented correctly.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 06:41:45 PM »
I'm wondering since you are making methane and your using propane and a open flame. 

That’s not how that works…. You place a wax liner in the unit, do your business, and close it and it drops into a sealed combustion chamber, and the device ignites once you push the burn button and cooks it off and turns it to ash. methane would only be produced if it were stored in a sealed container. But once the liquid part is evaporated it just burns til it’s done.

It’s all sealed and is vented to the outside like any other propane fueled device. Eco friendly sanitary and clean burning

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 07:01:20 PM »
I know some one with one.  They dont work as good in the cold, and if you combine that with a bunch of people it becomes even worse. This is for your cabin in the woods that your going ro have a bunch of people at in the wintertime right?

Where these shine is intermittent use by a couple of people. If you plan on having another couple and their kids in the wintertime you may be using the bag method anyway.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 07:50:09 PM »

Where are the nomination forms for 2021 post of the year?   :chuckle:

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 08:12:08 PM »

You're referring to the "Instant Incinerator Toilet" marketed by Ronco in the late 80s. Never really caught on, but I'll bet it was hell on a dingle berry problem.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 11:14:52 PM »
I know some one with one.  They dont work as good in the cold, and if you combine that with a bunch of people it becomes even worse. This is for your cabin in the woods that your going ro have a bunch of people at in the wintertime right?

Where these shine is intermittent use by a couple of people. If you plan on having another couple and their kids in the wintertime you may be using the bag method anyway.  :twocents:

No kids allowed at the shack that’s a huge rule

It’s strictly a 21+ Establishment

Primarily myself, a girlfriend, and maybe occasional weekend guest, mainly evening hours. The point of the property is to have a base camp to go off and adventure
From, not hang out at all the time This is a low key place, maybe the occasional small group like once or twice a year

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 11:23:10 PM »
We are on the second electric incinolet toilet nice to be by a bakery early in the morning in stehekin

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 12:26:59 AM »
We are on the second electric incinolet toilet nice to be by a bakery early in the morning in stehekin

What’s your power consumption on that thing? Can you realistically run one on solar? The electric is obviously the most affordable but I read some need 240v and can take almost 2 hours to burn and my power isn’t very reliable in the winter. I’ve been without up to 3 weeks at a stretch before. Don’t really want to rely on the grid, although I could buy a Honda generator and an electric and still be under the cost of a propane however I don’t really feel like firing up a generator at 237am when I gotta take a grumper and listen to it run til the toilet is done cycling to shut it off or even worse fall asleep with it running and run it out of gas….

I’d much rather run out and stock up on propane once a month

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 01:15:17 AM »
Never thought about that but I don’t think solar could power it? It’s company creek power from Chelan co pud it doesn’t take a couple hours to burn a turd.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 02:29:06 AM »
Can I get one that doubles as a smoker.
Mmmmmm.its so good!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:51:32 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 04:43:00 AM »
Only ones I am familiar with is the end 1/3 of a 55 gal barrel slid under the seat through the lift up door in the back, pulled out when needed, usually everyother day/  had diesel fuel dumped on  contents and lit. Be sure to have down wind of everything. pity the person that has to stir the mess when beginning to burn out
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »
We had one for about 30 years.  It was pretty simple.  It had a limit switch on the lid, so when the lid was lifted, the fan came on.  The user took care of business,  and when the lid was shut the switch would operate a solenoid that turned on the propane, and started the spark plug sparkling.   You could DEFINITELY  tell when it fired, as it roared like a weed burner wide open with no regulator!  There was a timer that shut off the gas after a set time, and ran the exhaust fan for awhile longer.  If it was just our family with a few guests, we'd empty out the ashes every two or three days.

The issues that we had were;

The next person not waiting until the previous cycle was complete, and so there would be an incomplete burn.

Too many people using it as a urinal.  It couldn't evaporate that much liquid.  It did fine with around 8-10 people all day everyday.  My folks would have parties, and anything over 50 people would be a headache...80-100 was a PITA!

When excess urine became an issue, the spark plug would rust, and not ignite.  This would cause a pile up.  So we had signage in the outhouse that said to "close the lid and wait for the roar.  If no ignition, lift and close the lid a couple times, and then notify us please".

I believe it was installed around '71 or '72.  In 1980 my folks were over there and Dad was building a new outhouse behind that one for urine only.  (It pretty much eliminated most of the problems I listed).  They were putting the roof on the morning the mountain blew. 

The only reason we took it out was the bowl finally rusted out, and there were no more replacement parts to be found.  I don't remember what brand it was.  We definitely got our use out of it!
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
We had one for about 30 years.  It was pretty simple.  It had a limit switch on the lid, so when the lid was lifted, the fan came on.  The user took care of business,  and when the lid was shut the switch would operate a solenoid that turned on the propane, and started the spark plug sparkling.   You could DEFINITELY  tell when it fired, as it roared like a weed burner wide open with no regulator!  There was a timer that shut off the gas after a set time, and ran the exhaust fan for awhile longer.  If it was just our family with a few guests, we'd empty out the ashes every two or three days.

The issues that we had were;

The next person not waiting until the previous cycle was complete, and so there would be an incomplete burn.

Too many people using it as a urinal.  It couldn't evaporate that much liquid.  It did fine with around 8-10 people all day everyday.  My folks would have parties, and anything over 50 people would be a headache...80-100 was a PITA!

When excess urine became an issue, the spark plug would rust, and not ignite.  This would cause a pile up.  So we had signage in the outhouse that said to "close the lid and wait for the roar.  If no ignition, lift and close the lid a couple times, and then notify us please".

I believe it was installed around '71 or '72.  In 1980 my folks were over there and Dad was building a new outhouse behind that one for urine only.  (It pretty much eliminated most of the problems I listed).  They were putting the roof on the morning the mountain blew. 

The only reason we took it out was the bowl finally rusted out, and there were no more replacement parts to be found.  I don't remember what brand it was.  We definitely got our use out of it!

When ya gotta poop, ya got to poop!  LOL
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab