collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you recommend for a 1/2 ton pickup? ~$25,000  (Read 8970 times)

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: What do you recommend for a 1/2 ton pickup? ~$25,000
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
if you think chevy 5.3 are bulletproof you havent owned one with cylinder canceling, hope you save 9k for a new engine and while your at it go ahead and save for the tranny, silverados and f-150 keep our shop very busy. buy a tundra and dont look back.

Not saying one is any better than the other but in all fairness they sell more Ford and Chevy/GMC pickups in one month than Toyota sells Tundra's in a whole year so naturally you're going to see a lot more of those than the other.

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »
 I'm not ruling Tundra's out, but I've heard the mileage isn't that great on them. Also looking for a nice ride in the mountains, not like my 3/4 ton, which I'll be keeping for the heavy hauls.

Something else I'm wondering about is the off road type packages such as the Z71 or Ford's FX4. Do these provide a smoother or rougher ride when on rough Forest roads?

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 02:53:13 PM »
I am somewhat in the same boat.  I have been looking to replace my '02 GMC 3/4 ton since September.  Found one in October, put a down payment on it and the salesman pulled the rug out from under me the night before I was to pick it up.  Ordered a new one in April only to have GM reject my order saying no new orders until 2022.  Any new ones I can find are now 5K or more over MSRP.  Wait if you can, that's what I've resigned myself to do.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 02:56:04 PM »
Can't get a tundra with a crew cab and a 6ft bed.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline johnbmyersii

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 02:58:39 PM »
I'm not ruling Tundra's out, but I've heard the mileage isn't that great on them. Also looking for a nice ride in the mountains, not like my 3/4 ton, which I'll be keeping for the heavy hauls.

Something else I'm wondering about is the off road type packages such as the Z71 or Ford's FX4. Do these provide a smoother or rougher ride when on rough Forest roads?

Ive had a 18 f150 FX4 and currently a 20 f150 regular 4x4. I cant tell a difference between the fx4 and regular 4x4. The one nice thing about the fx4 was the hill decent control mode but I dont miss it on the new truck. If you get a ford make sure its got the locking diff

Offline Lokaybinnity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
i have a 2013 f 150 with the 5.0 its a power house and i havnt had a single problem stay a way from the eco beast no replacement for displacement. a truck shouldn't need a turbo unless its a diesel.   

Offline bushmantom

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »
https://www.doxontoyota.com/auto/used-2016-toyota-tundra-limited-double-cab-57l-v8-4wd-auburn-wa/56998366/

No affiliation with the seller but who is paying that much fo a truck with 360,000 miles on it.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »
I've had a couple z71s  early one 92  had a 5.7, newer ish one 99 had 5.3. No issues with either one ..easy to work on to.....99 rode like a Cadillac...

All my stuff now is hd stuff so no recommendations on never models.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »
i have a 2013 f 150 with the 5.0 its a power house and i havnt had a single problem stay a way from the eco beast no replacement for displacement. a truck shouldn't need a turbo unless its a diesel.   

LOL.
You should drive one of the 3.5 Ecoboosts.
I don't disagree that the 5.0 is a good engine and something that should be considered, but the 3.5 ecoboost will run circles around the 5.0 from a power standpoint, especially when towing.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 04:29:37 PM »

LOL.
You should drive one of the 3.5 Ecoboosts.
I don't disagree that the 5.0 is a good engine and something that should be considered, but the 3.5 ecoboost will run circles around the 5.0 from a power standpoint, especially when towing.

I have the 3.5 ecoboost and can attest to this
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »
@slowhand - are doing away with the 5.7 in the Tundra and only going to a v-6 turbo ?
Not that I am aware of.
I know we will have a hybrid model tundra next year.
In one of my tech classes I complained about having to buy a super duty to get a diesel tow vehicle. Being a Toyota master tech driving a Ford I get a lot of poo from everyone.
The instructor said he got to drive one of the pre production hybrid tundras, he said you definitely will not want a diesel after you drive the hybrid tundra (massive amounts of powers).
We will see
I love love my ‘15 6.7 diesel f350
It’s been nothing short of perfect since new
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
I think when the time comes and the prices are (more?) right, I'd find a 15 or newer F150 with either the 5.0 or the 3.5eb, super crew with the 6.5' bed. PS the beds are either 5.5' or 6.5'. No 6' bed. You can get the 3.5eb with max tow and be rated to tow 13k pounds if it's properly equipped.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2021, 10:07:21 PM »
This is just me but I have been holding off this year because of the crazy prices... I just heard a rumor that Ford received  a bunch of the computer chips they were waiting for to ship F150s out.... can't confirm if it's true (Jackelope?) but after the stockpiled trucks start hitting the lots, I'm guessing there are going to be some serious deals and 0% financing offers....

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
What do you recommend for a 1/2 ton pickup? ~$25,000
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 10:56:39 AM »
This is just me but I have been holding off this year because of the crazy prices... I just heard a rumor that Ford received  a bunch of the computer chips they were waiting for to ship F150s out.... can't confirm if it's true (Jackelope?) but after the stockpiled trucks start hitting the lots, I'm guessing there are going to be some serious deals and 0% financing offers....
We got a few new trucks and transit vans in this week.  I heard rumor that they’re going to ship trucks without the chips and have us install them after the fact too. Can’t confirm that.

It’s not just trucks either. We’ve got 12-15 Focus and Fiesta’a sitting here with bad transmission control modules waiting for parts that we can’t get.

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
We got a few new trucks and transit vans in this week.  I heard rumor that they’re going to ship trucks without the chips and have us install them after the fact too. Can’t confirm that.

It’s not just trucks either. We’ve got 12-15 Focus and Fiesta’a sitting here with bad transmission control modules waiting for parts that we can’t get.

Saw this on the news last week. Ford is running out of storage space.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal