collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Elk hunting  (Read 1933 times)

Offline FreezerFiller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
New to Elk hunting
« on: September 27, 2021, 02:40:51 PM »
I am a college student over on the east side here, and this is my first time looking into going elk hunting. It is overwhelming looking at the amount of private land out there when trying to find a spot to go hunt for elk. I have zero expectations going into the season aside from learning as much as I can but figured I'd start the learning here.

Does anyone have any tips for a new modern firearm elk hunter like myself? General areas? Calls or no calls? Sit and glass, or walk and stalk?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Offline Bendejo

• Tracker
Re: New to Elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
Don't mind me, I'll just sit and listen here too. New to elk hunting as well

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 03:09:22 PM »
You won't need calls.

Check WDFW's site for harvest stats and the regs to see what units have what seasons and how far you are willing to drive.  Scout and hunt, public or nock on doors. WDFW has some sites you can also check, some require a reservation, some require written permission and some are first come, first serve.

Offline FreezerFiller

• Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 03:18:52 PM »
You won't need calls.

Check WDFW's site for harvest stats and the regs to see what units have what seasons and how far you are willing to drive.  Scout and hunt, public or nock on doors. WDFW has some sites you can also check, some require a reservation, some require written permission and some are first come, first serve.

Appreciate it, I have found some of those WDFW sites in neighboring towns just driving through. Tough part is I've seen just one cow elk in my few years out on the east side, hoping to add to that number!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »
Reminder to ALWAYS wear your orange. Modern rifle elk can get a little western so make sure plenty of orange is visible. Have fun and be safe. Let us know how you do
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
If you don't have OnX get it and it will help you identify public vs private and match up those harvest stats with the actual areas.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 08:18:54 AM »
Not sure of what gear you have.  But GOOD waterproof boots are going to be your best friend.  If your feet suffer, you suffer.

By college student, I'm guessing you're attending Central.  The mountains to the north of Ellensburg are home to the Colockum herd.  They are hunted hard.  There will be a lot of hunters up there, if that's where you're looking to go, be prepared for that.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline CascadeCruiser

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 08:22:47 AM »
As stated above, you don't NEED calls but having a good diaphragm for cow calls is definitely a bonus. I would suggest starting with a simple single reed diaphragm and watch as many videos as you can. Practice whenever you have time, watching TV, driving, taking a dump, whatever. Bugle tubes are great and look awesome on youtube but a cow call goes a long way. Good luck out there.

Cascade

Offline FreezerFiller

• Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
Not sure of what gear you have.  But GOOD waterproof boots are going to be your best friend.  If your feet suffer, you suffer.

By college student, I'm guessing you're attending Central.  The mountains to the north of Ellensburg are home to the Colockum herd.  They are hunted hard.  There will be a lot of hunters up there, if that's where you're looking to go, be prepared for that.

Gary
I'm at WSU! I have been hunting muleys i the snow since I was about 13, I've learned that the hard way. I have been looking east and south of Ellensburg so far, even at a coupe "True Spike Only" areas, might be hunted less?
Thanks Gary!

Offline FreezerFiller

• Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 11:29:02 AM »
As stated above, you don't NEED calls but having a good diaphragm for cow calls is definitely a bonus. I would suggest starting with a simple single reed diaphragm and watch as many videos as you can. Practice whenever you have time, watching TV, driving, taking a dump, whatever. Bugle tubes are great and look awesome on youtube but a cow call goes a long way. Good luck out there.

Cascade
Okay, I was going to say, I have heard that calls out of the rut can help cover whatever trail you're blazing as well. I will look into grabbing one ASAP. Thanks for the help man!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »
Reminder to ALWAYS wear your orange. Modern rifle elk can get a little western so make sure plenty of orange is visible. Have fun and be safe. Let us know how you do

:yeah:

Hat isn't a bad idea and certainly something orange on a your pack if you are wearing one.

I would also be careful calling during general rifle season, chances are pretty good the noise in the brush headed to you only has two legs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]