collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kings Camo for cold and wet  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Aeron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Kings Camo for cold and wet
« on: October 24, 2021, 08:17:56 PM »
Need a new waterproof/resistant pair of pants and coat...insulated.  Was looking at the kings camo stuff because I can afford it.  I hunt in NE WA and ID, late season.  Last year I froze my a@$ off because the snow soaked through my gear.  I start hiking an hour or two before sunrise (depending on where I am headed), and I hike out for about an hour or so after shooting light is over, so I need something that can keep me from shivering all day long.
Right now I am layering, long underwear, medium weight pants (rivers west), medium weight fleece coat, medium/light weight softshell (rivers west), insulated bibs, and a toasty knit cap.  Boots kept getting wet last year, and I figured out it was my pant legs soaking my socks which soaked my boots....got some gaitors to fix that. 
Anyways, I am looking for something cheap, warm, dry, breathable, lol.  Ya, tall order I know. 
So, does anyone here have experience with the kings camo stuff? Its a lot to sort through - xkg's, hunter collections, etc. 
Thanks ahead of time.

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: Kings Camo for cold and wet
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »
Doesn’t leak, but doesn’t breathe either. I use it because it’s cheap in comparison to others and the fleece is pretty quiet compared to others. Good luck

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 03:41:05 AM »
I noticed you’re go to is wool. Do you know what weight material you have for the late season hunts? I bought some high end lite merino wool pants and thrashed them early elk season didn’t hold up worth a darn. I hike a around a bunch and usually talk myself into beating through nasty stuff to bust out animals. I keep
seeing ads for Big Bill brand they look decent.

Offline Aeron

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 07:25:33 PM »
my review

https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,245331.msg3292145.html#msg3292145

Thanks, not sure why that didn't come up in my search. 
As for the wooltimate stuff, anyone else using that at all? Does it get heavy when it gets wet? I used to use a lot of wool stuff in my younger days when I did a lot of mountaineering, but it would get a bit heavy when rained on (Climbing in the cascades is wet business).

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »
I noticed you’re go to is wool. Do you know what weight material you have for the late season hunts? I bought some high end lite merino wool pants and thrashed them early elk season didn’t hold up worth a darn. I hike a around a bunch and usually talk myself into beating through nasty stuff to bust out animals. I keep
seeing ads for Big Bill brand they look decent.

I wanted to try the Big Bill myself but the store in Spokane never got the right sizes in and I didn't online order them.   

I'm now using First Lite guide corrugate foundry pants, the foundry are pretty new from first lite
https://www.firstlite.com/collections/foundry/products/corrugate-foundry-pant?view=learn-more

The pants have been durable, the only stitching coming loose is the XD logo on the pant, but none of the seems are showing any wear.  I hunted Idaho archery elk, and modern elk, and bear.   I got a pretty good season on them so far and pounded a lot of dry brush.  I just hunted mod deer in the super wet brush and the DWR did not hold up (as expected) but it did dry fast. Overall I'm very pleased unless they unravel next year.   I expect at a min 2 hard seasons before issues develop, and I expect them to be usable for 4 seasons. 

I'm also using the foundry corrugate guide, it's a thin jacket shell and love that thing,  under it is various layers of wool, weather determines how much wool. 
https://www.firstlite.com/collections/western-outerwear-tops/products/mens-corrugate-guide-jacket

This winter I'm going to try firstlite Seak stormtight jacket and pants
https://www.firstlite.com/collections/western-outerwear-tops/products/seak-stormtight-rain-jacket

I got it in fusion camo and want to hunt cats, it's not quiet!   it swishes when I walk so I dunno, I might be back to my Cabela's wool.   I like to make absolutely no noise sneaking in to a set. 

It's also overly complicated to put it on.  I can't endorse this product yet as I haven't worn it enough.  (and it's a pia to put it on)   

If nothing else it'll ride on the back of my bike if I get caught out in a rain storm, I've ridden my little bike back after a long hunt in the dark in pissing rain and that sucked.   

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
It's been my experience that layering is the key to regulating body heat or lack there of. You mentioned that you do layer. Might want to revisit your choices and/or do more research.  I know that on my way in during the morning that I'll sweat so I try to go lite then. Often times I'll have a spare, dry next to skin layer to change into. I can't stand that wet, cold feeling next to my skin.

elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 09:58:29 PM »
It's been my experience that layering is the key to regulating body heat or lack there of. You mentioned that you do layer. Might want to revisit your choices and/or do more research.  I know that on my way in during the morning that I'll sweat so I try to go lite then. Often times I'll have a spare, dry next to skin layer to change into. I can't stand that wet, cold feeling next to my skin.

elksnout

:yeah:

I also have a puffy I forgot to mention that I keep handy.   I put that on when I get real cold, which is usually after the hunt, I'm dog arse tired and get that worn out shivers. 

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 07:38:39 AM »
What kind of hunting? Steady movement throughout the day like still hunting or getting to a remote stand and sitting and/or glassing for extended time periods? Are you a small person?
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Aeron

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 06:05:11 PM »
What kind of hunting? Steady movement throughout the day like still hunting or getting to a remote stand and sitting and/or glassing for extended time periods? Are you a small person?

I hike in, sit for a few hours, maybe more, stalk and glass a bit, hike, sit....all depends on what's going on.  I usually get to my spot and sit early for a few hours, and then in the later afternoon the same thing in a different spot.

Size? Average size, fairly fit.  5'8

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 08:07:42 PM »
Saving a couple dry garments i.e. midweight layer and a puffy does wonders. 
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 09:59:57 PM »
if I am hiking into a stand to sit i pack almost all my clothes in and change about 100 yards or so from stand. nothing will make you freeze faster than a wet underlayer. If I know I am coming back next day Ill leave my heavy outter layers in a contractor bag and hide it, cut down on stuff to pack

Offline Aeron

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »
if I am hiking into a stand to sit i pack almost all my clothes in and change about 100 yards or so from stand. nothing will make you freeze faster than a wet underlayer. If I know I am coming back next day Ill leave my heavy outter layers in a contractor bag and hide it, cut down on stuff to pack

Thats a great idea.  Never thought of doing that.

Offline Aeron

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 06:15:39 PM »
Received a wooltimate coat from Cabelas yesterday.  Tried it out this morning in 28 degree weather and some really thick wet fog...sat for three hours, toasty warm.  Not bulky, comfortable to wear, fit well.
Gonna give it another run tomorrow morning - should be even colder, but no fog. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
I think wooltamate is mostly polyester, I was confused as its the same camo patterns and I bought it at Cabelas, but its not wooltamate

Comumbia PHG is what the tags say, so I wonder if its pre-wooltamate

67% wool
33% unknown reclaimed fibers

Guess I don't have wooltamate, It's Columbia PHG

They no longer make it.

I'd go big bill instead for wool.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:01:47 PM by KFhunter »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab