collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why late archery?  (Read 7340 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Why late archery?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2021, 08:56:04 PM »
Guess the various predators don't like mule deer, there numbers around me have increased dramatically over the past few years. Again this year seemed to be a very healthy population of  fawns. Don't suppose it had anything to do with a apr, no late hunts, no various antlerless hunts on them. No question the predators are out of control around us, especially the lions, but obviously hunting restrictions are  helping mulies thrive.

The mule deer down by you have far fewer predators than the deer up canyon.  I run cameras on a couple properties, one not far from you off the hwy and have only seen one cougar and one bear in two years.  The mule deer thrive in that area and I have to believe it is because the lack of predators relative to further away from the hwy properties.....and the increase in residency / human presence.  I also know of some large tracts that have sold that do not allow hunting any longer which decreases the human predation.  Now if the bucks had time to grow so we had quality mule deer.....that would be something else.  I would be a huge proponent of WDFW moving to a 4 pt minimum for mule deer in the area.   ;)
well, there is some truth to that, although we and our neighbor commonly have lion pics on our trail cams, but why wouldn't the whitetail also be taking advantage of that? Honestly, I would like to see us have the bucks only October hunt only and give the whiteys a break for a couple years. Kids could have shot several nice mule deer bucks last week, including one very nice 4x5, so they are around. We're due for a rough winter, and I'm concerned that ,combined with the blue tongue,could be devastating to our whitetails in the area.

It is super weird that the mule deer in that area tend to live where whitetail should and whitetail live where mulies would.  Still haven't figured that one out in the area.   :chuckle: :chuckle:
well, I'll have to meet you down at the Hunters Tav sometime, buy you a cold one and we'll figure it out. LOL

:tup:

Offline Scruffy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2021, 09:38:09 PM »
I am totally against giving up any season or going to a draw permit of any sorts.  Once you give something up you will never get it back.  This is not just an issue with the 121 unit.  I hunted the Winthrop area for 25 yrs, back then you could see 30-50 deer a day in the field.  Today you are lucky to see 5.  At Pearrygin State Park we used to see 200 deer come in there in the evening, now your lucky so see 10-15.  This is not from over hunting.  That area has been hit hard with fires but they have a huge predator problem.  How many coyotes, bear, or cougar have you killed to help the deer herds?  I would suggest we all shift our focus to that to keep their population in check and the deer numbers will rise.  I am willing to bet the ratio of predators to deer is about the same across the state so it is a statewide issue.  Has any hunting group even tried to put an initiative together for a vote to allow baiting or the use of dogs again?  If we don't pool together to have our voices heard we will lose the fight.  But to come on here and complain about certain hunting groups is not the answer.  just my  :twocents:
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2021, 10:43:03 PM »
this isnt just a issue in 121, its pretty much all the NE units. I have places in 121,105 and 101 I hunt and its sickening to see whats happened to the whitetail herd. Im done chasing them around in those units until they rebound. WDFW we all know will do jack^%$# or something 4-5 years too late.

Like mentioned above with predator hunting that is something we can do! and would help herds drastically if we put a dent in them. This is not an opinion or a maybe. There are several studies out there showing the impact that bears have on calves and fawns. Problem is maybe 10% of the deer and elk hunters actually specifically hunt them am I am not talking getting a bear while deer and elk hunting and getting lucky.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 10:44:55 PM »
Predator Incentive Points...

:peep:

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 11:10:41 PM »

:chuckle: Everyone gets something nowadays for free besides me it seems like but this could benefit me finally 😂... I did kill two bears and put my friend on another 2 he missed. I enjoy bear hunting more than anything else now. No crowds, lots of activity, good weather. Shame spring bear in this state is done. Really love that time of year

Offline storyteller

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »
So if cow and doe hunting/kill is such an evil thing, why does every surrounding state  allow this?

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 11:08:29 AM »

So if cow and doe hunting/kill is such an evil thing, why does every surrounding state  allow this?
this isnt just a issue in 121, its pretty much all the NE units. I have places in 121,105 and 101 I hunt and its sickening to see whats happened to the whitetail herd. Im done chasing them around in those units until they rebound. WDFW we all know will do jack^%$# or something 4-5 years too late.

Like mentioned above with predator hunting that is something we can do! and would help herds drastically if we put a dent in them. This is not an opinion or a maybe. There are several studies out there showing the impact that bears have on calves and fawns. Problem is maybe 10% of the deer and elk hunters actually specifically hunt them am I am not talking getting a bear while deer and elk hunting and getting lucky.

Agendas vary dramatically from state to state and then theres the $$$$$$$$$$$

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »
And this has become an evil state, make no mistake about that.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 12:16:24 PM »
neither is an evil thing.if you don't have plummeting.populations of the animals. Taking cows and does is very much a part of game management when used to properly balance herds with the available ecosystem. Unfortunately our state has been hit with severe fires, booming predator populations,  increasing human settlement in game animal habitats, and now blue tongue outbreak being the probable major causes of our game animal declines.  While there seems to be little or nothing we as hunters can do to control these causes, we must carry the burden of losing hunting opportunities. I don't like it, been through it before, but don't see any other changes realistically on the table in Washington. With less than 10 percent of our population being hunters its going to be unrealistic to think we are going to get any legislative or popular support to change things. Sad, but true

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 04:03:00 PM »
"we must carry the burden of losing hunting opportunities"

Take a look at success rates for late season and tell me how this is going to increase herd sizes? Or even make an appreciable difference?  I get the sentiment, but imo the collapsing herds will be the tool to peel hunting from our future and our kids' future.

If the WDFW commission was dedicated to preserving, protecting, and perpetuating the state’s fish, wildlife, and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities they'd be pushing predator hunts by any means necessary.

More ungulates means more of everything, more predators, more weasels, more birds, better habitat.   Even the fur from a long dead carcass makes squirrel and bird nests, there's more bugs...the entire ecosystem suffers with very low ungulate counts.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 04:15:28 PM »
"we must carry the burden of losing hunting opportunities"

Take a look at success rates for late season and tell me how this is going to increase herd sizes? Or even make an appreciable difference?  I get the sentiment, but imo the collapsing herds will be the tool to peel hunting from our future and our kids' future.

If the WDFW commission was dedicated to preserving, protecting, and perpetuating the state’s fish, wildlife, and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities they'd be pushing predator hunts by any means necessary.

More ungulates means more of everything, more predators, more weasels, more birds, better habitat.   Even the fur from a long dead carcass makes squirrel and bird nests, there's more bugs...the entire ecosystem suffers with very low ungulate counts.

Sounds too scientific and logical.  Thats not what their looking for.    :chuckle:

Offline Zag11

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 02:03:37 PM »
What’s the report been for the late hunt from everyone?

Long sits, not terribly cold weather, no deer for me in 121. Anyone getting any action in 100-124?

Offline wafisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
121 hasn't allowed for any antlerless hunts for a few years now, and always bee 3pt min for mules.

Plenty of deer in 121 - but mainly in the private lands, timber companies, farms, ranches, etc.  Not sure how well the public land is doing, but private land sure looks like it could stand a kids antlerless hunt and be just fine .

I'll be up there with my 14 year old daughter soon hoping to get either of us our first archery kill.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 08:19:39 PM »
Guess the various predators don't like mule deer, there numbers around me have increased dramatically over the past few years. Again this year seemed to be a very healthy population of  fawns. Don't suppose it had anything to do with a apr, no late hunts, no various antlerless hunts on them. No question the predators are out of control around us, especially the lions, but obviously hunting restrictions are  helping mulies thrive.

The mule deer down by you have far fewer predators than the deer up canyon.  I run cameras on a couple properties, one not far from you off the hwy and have only seen one cougar and one bear in two years.  The mule deer thrive in that area and I have to believe it is because the lack of predators relative to further away from the hwy properties.....and the increase in residency / human presence.  I also know of some large tracts that have sold that do not allow hunting any longer which decreases the human predation.  Now if the bucks had time to grow so we had quality mule deer.....that would be something else.  I would be a huge proponent of WDFW moving to a 4 pt minimum for mule deer in the area.   ;)
well, there is some truth to that, although we and our neighbor commonly have lion pics on our trail cams, but why wouldn't the whitetail also be taking advantage of that? Honestly, I would like to see us have the bucks only October hunt only and give the whiteys a break for a couple years. Kids could have shot several nice mule deer bucks last week, including one very nice 4x5, so they are around. We're due for a rough winter, and I'm concerned that ,combined with the blue tongue,could be devastating to our whitetails in the area.

It is super weird that the mule deer in that area tend to live where whitetail should and whitetail live where mulies would.  Still haven't figured that one out in the area.   :chuckle: :chuckle:
well, I'll have to meet you down at the Hunters Tav sometime, buy you a cold one and we'll figure it out. LOL
WHAT, you guys didn't invite me. What's wrong with ya.

Mule deer in 117/121 need some help in my opinion. You can look at harvest reports and see that.

Whitetail bow hunters should get there late season ,just the same as modern and all the different weapon types.
WT numbers are down,but there still out there.
And of coarse I've seen an explosion of deer since modern ended.
You never know seasons may change next year with our emotional,non-scientific ,commission.
I'll offer up some picture evidence.
Those are two different bucks,same cam,date is correct.
Also private land,so for some of you guys ,don't even bother to download photo to try and get the location. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Goodluck Bow hunters, time is ticking away.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:26:31 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2021, 09:51:08 PM »
Ok, you're invited but you have to buy at least one round.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter