collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Garmin Inreach Explorer plus  (Read 3779 times)

Offline slowwalker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pilgrim
Garmin Inreach Explorer plus
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:00:21 PM »
Hello everyone looking to get some feedback from actual users of the Garmin Inreach Explorer Plus. All info good and bad about the GPS would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Garmin Inreach Explorer plus
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 01:14:31 PM »
Any specific questions?

I use mine primarily with preset messages to communicate with wife while in the mountains. Presets are unlimited, so as long as you plan before you go you can change your messages. When a message is sent the receiving person can click to see coordinates your message was sent from.

Offline slowwalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »
DOES THE GPS AND COMPASS WORK WHEN YOU ARE NOT SUBSCRIBED TO THE INREACH SIDE?
DO YOU USE ON "X" MAPS WITH IT?
ANYTHING YOU DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT?

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »
I don’t think onx works on the explorer, I believe you need one of the higher end models.

Yes the gps and compass work without an active subscription.

I’m happy with it. Knowing I have it for SOS situations and communicating to home. I don’t use the GPS as much, unless I’m in a new area. Then I’ll track my route and use waypoints just in case getting out seems to be difficult. I think I could probably get away with the mini for how I use it but I wanted a complete separate device.

Offline slowwalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 05:39:27 PM »
Thank you Caseyd for sharing info. Anyone else wants to chime in on experience with Inreach Explorer it would be very appreciated.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
I don't have the plus, didn't need mapping.  I tether it to my phone and use that for both texting through the app as well as OnX or whatever mapping you want.  I'll have my phone out anyway and one less device to learn menus on.  I can keep the Inreach on the top lid of my pack or top of my pack strap and never really have to mess with it.  It might even work inside the top lid, never tried.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 03:30:08 PM »
I had the Inreach Explorer for years but gave it to my best friend to use when my wife got me a Mini for Christmas a few years back.   Since I typically just use my phone for the interface I much prefer the Mini for it's lighter weight, and longer battery life.

Like any GPS if you're in dense tree cover deep in a forest your GPS will be wonky until it can catch up to a signal.  But that's true of any GPS related device.

The app to use on your phone with an InReach is called Earthmate.  And that connects to your Garmin account, so stores all your waypoints, messages, locations, etc.   Once you start using the app, a Mini starts to make more sense than an Explorer in my opinion.

I switched from OnX to Basemap years ago.  Same stuff but less expensive, and has the "hunting" and other layers that are also nice.   I regularly use Earthmate and Basemap on my phone.   The Mini just stays clipped to the top of the pack.  You basically just interface with your phone the entire time instead of looking at the InReach.  I would encourage getting an InReach plan though instead of trying to get one and not using a plan.  They're not too expensive and you just turn them on for the months you use them then just turn the plan back off.   And I pay for the SAR insurance via the Garmin plan, cheap insurance.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 05:09:21 PM »
Get the mini and just use it for texting through your phone.  Use phone for your GPS with OnX or other app not the inreach.   

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
Get the mini and just use it for texting through your phone.  Use phone for your GPS with OnX or other app not the inreach.

I'm confused.  I thought that the reason for having the InReach was in case you find yourself injured or immobilized in a place where your cell phone doesn't work.

BTW:  When it comes to technology I'm still stuck in the last century.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »
YES - The InReach is only for texting - your phone is just for the interface - the inreach sends the text.   

You compose text on your phone with the inreach app and click send - it goes out through your mini-inreach via sateliite.  When your mini receives a text it also pops up on your phone app so you can respond to it.

And for Navigation - GPS - your Phone actually works all the time for that - it gets GPS location even without Cell Service -  nothing to do with the inreach - yea cool stuff. 

Yes you can put your phone in airplane mode and still track your location even without cell service.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2021, 05:27:41 PM »
YES - The InReach is only for texting - your phone is just for the interface - the inreach sends the text.   

You compose text on your phone with the inreach app and click send - it goes out through your mini-inreach via sateliite.  When your mini receives a text it also pops up on your phone app so you can respond to it.

And for Navigation - GPS - your Phone actually works all the time for that - it gets GPS location even without Cell Service -  nothing to do with the inreach - yea cool stuff.

Ah.....thanks.  I'm thinking about an InReach Mini for my son for Christmas.  He tends to get himself way back in the weeds, often by himself, and it sounds like he should have one.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 05:36:37 PM »

Ah.....thanks.  I'm thinking about an InReach Mini for my son for Christmas.  He tends to get himself way back in the weeds, often by himself, and it sounds like he should have one.

It also has an SOS button that sends an emergency message out to rescuers with the current GPS coordinates.  So, you can do normal text stuff plus emergency usage.  Of course you could send texts if you get in trouble as well.  It's great for keeping in touch with loved ones, other hunters and the SOS feature in your back pocket that you hopefully never need.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 05:41:48 PM »

It also has an SOS button that sends an emergency message out to rescuers with the current GPS coordinates.  So, you can do normal text stuff plus emergency usage.  Of course you could send texts if you get in trouble as well.  It's great for keeping in touch with loved ones, other hunters and the SOS feature in your back pocket that you hopefully never need.

Thanks.  I can use all of the input I can get on this subject.  Looks like Santa will be putting one in my son's stocking.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline chukar58

• Hunter
  • What's in your freezer?
  • Groups: Washington State Bowhunters, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »
Take a minute and look into the ZOLEO it’s pretty new to the market and a solid performer.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 08:21:06 PM »
Zoleo vs garmin .  I have garmin but Zoleo mite be better value?
Im not sure Zoleo attaches coordinates to messages ????

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/tools/zoleo-satellite-communicator-review/

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]