collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Car Tires Kill Coho  (Read 3135 times)

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
Car Tires Kill Coho
« on: January 24, 2022, 08:28:48 PM »
Just read about a study from WSU that a chemical in tires is killing Coho. Here we go!

https://www.washington.edu/news/2020/12/03/tire-related-chemical-largely-responsible-for-adult-coho-salmon-deaths-in-urban-streams/

Sorry if this was already posted.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Car Tires Kill Coho
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 08:33:41 PM »
Just like the paper vs plastic
They didn’t want to cut trees down for paper bags. So they went to plastic?? Better for the environment right? Nope
Stopped using round rock tires for rubber now we will be going back to rock tires.

Make up your minds

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »
Maybe having cities with millions of people and salmon just aren’t compatible. Of course a company dumps hundreds of tons of ground up tires into the puyallup and gets a minor slap on the wrist but you driving your car to work is the problem. maybe they should tear down all the homes bordering streams and rivers too so that we can recreate the natural habitats.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »
Know what else kills Coho? My gaff hook when I bonk it on the head  :chuckle:
IAFF #3728

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 05:57:29 AM »
A waste of resource time to lay blame on something minor we cannot control, all the while avoiding the known factors that we wont control.

Offline Bareback

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 06:28:32 AM »
We can save a lot of money by not doing researches/studies like this anymore. Just throw a blanket  statement out there, “human presence kills salmon!” 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 06:51:27 AM »
This came up a while back and the runoff from Seatac runways was noted to be linked to a specific stream or two.  From my understanding it has to be pretty direct and concentrated to be an issue.

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 07:51:31 AM »
There is a small intermittent stream in my neighborhood in a rural area behind my property that has yearly returns of Coho. A lot of the stream route is in roadside ditches so they should all be dead according to the UW. Kind of like the WDFW counting a released fish as a mortality when you get interviewed by the volunteer fish checkers.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:50:12 AM »
Maybe having cities with millions of people and salmon just aren’t compatible. Of course a company dumps hundreds of tons of ground up tires into the puyallup and gets a minor slap on the wrist but you driving your car to work is the problem. maybe they should tear down all the homes bordering streams and rivers too so that we can recreate the natural habitats.

What was the name of the company?  I know of one suck place in that area because they had Mike Rowe on for Dirty Jobs.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 09:05:50 AM »
Tire compounds have changed over time, like most products. You know what I didn't hear in the article? When did this compound become standard in production? I actually think tires of today don't last as long as they used to due to Ozone and weathering conditions.  I will also add that it is extremely hard to get a tire mounted  or a flat fixed that is 10 years old. Is it possible that a correlation exists between the adoption of this compound, and manufacturing and legal requirements to reduce the usable age of tires?  I think so, but the author of this article didn't dive too deep for the story.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
So, I have to stop throwing my tires into salmon streams now? I suppose next they're going to say that dumping my washing machine in the woods is bad for the ungulates. Where is liberty anymore?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 09:48:19 AM »
Tire compounds have changed over time, like most products. You know what I didn't hear in the article? When did this compound become standard in production? I actually think tires of today don't last as long as they used to due to Ozone and weathering conditions.  I will also add that it is extremely hard to get a tire mounted  or a flat fixed that is 10 years old. Is it possible that a correlation exists between the adoption of this compound, and manufacturing and legal requirements to reduce the usable age of tires?  I think so, but the author of this article didn't dive too deep for the story.
I've read before that electric vehicles produce a little over twice the amount of ozone than gas vehicles.

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 09:58:27 AM »

What was the name of the company?  I know of one suck place in that area because they had Mike Rowe on for Dirty Jobs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.king5.com/amp/article/news/local/power-company-fined-more-than-for-polluting-puyallup-river/281-8c8353fb-7d5f-4b4f-9321-80808ef21501

Electron Hydro, the dam company. They ended up cleaning 13000lbs of ground up rubber from the banks. Who knows how much more is still in there. Fined half a million.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 06:23:07 AM »
What he did was wrong and he should and is suffering repurcussions. Way more than a slap on the wrist. Look at the latest charges against him. Looking at prison time. And how many hundreds of thousands in fines?

But you really sensationalized that story with the comments "Hundreds of tons of ground up tires" And "slap on the wrist." It also wasnt ground up tires. It was artificial turf made from ground up tires. Please report accurately if your going to report the news. When I went to school. 13000 pounds didnt add up to hundreds of tons. More like 6.5 tons. Pretty sure they also removed a lot of what was put in there.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 07:05:12 AM »
So, I have to stop throwing my tires into salmon streams now? I suppose next they're going to say that dumping my washing machine in the woods is bad for the ungulates. Where is liberty anymore?

:yeah:

The depths of injustice to which we are now being tyrannically subjected...   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal