collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's expected of a boat passenger?  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Gun smoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
Re: What's expected of a boat passenger?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2022, 03:41:29 PM »
I've never expected anything of anyone, but I do get a little miffed if people sit there like a charter customer and expect everything done for them. They won't be tagging along again.

I appreciate offers to pitch in for fuel, but only accept if it's not my boat (family boat) or if it was a pretty big adventure with a high bill.

As a guest, I'd offer to pay fuel, I'd bring snacks, I'd be very very active in pitching in, and rigging gear, and helping others with their gear, and cleaning, and even repairing anything that I could that needed it, etc, etc ,etc, and if I caught more fish than others I'd be offering to split equal shares. That's a golden rule approach... in the past I was often the guy with the boat who appreciated that attitude, now I'm often the tag along... so that's what I try to do.

Spot on ! I always tell folks that get invited “ I was going even if you didn’t come”
Good boat manners are mostly common sense . Offer to help , and don’t be a slob

Online Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2022, 02:35:25 PM »
Bananas are supposed to bring bad luck to a boat.

One explanation I heard (probably urban legend) is that in the mariner days with tall ships, bananas would increase the ripening rate of fresh fruit on board and hasten vitamin deficiency aliments like scurvy. 

Seriously though, at a minimum Passengers should pay their share of gas.  perhaps also launch fees.  Food/Snacks are nice too.

Always good to ask the skipper what they expect to avoid misunderstandings. 
     What I have heard is that bananas are an easy snack to take on a boat.  They are often called a super food, so again a good choice for a snack.  So if your a small village fisherman, say out of the Caribbean, and you need something to tied you and your boat mate over for the day, a bunch of bananas is an easy thing to grab.  The problem comes from the poisonous tarantulass that hide in those bunches in the trees and now are in that bunch on a small boat. Hence the Belafonte' song. Supposedly it would happen occasionally that a missing fisherman or men would be found adrift in his boat, dead.  Nothing amiss in the boat, but a ripe bunch of bananas was sitting their with him/ them.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Fishstiq

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 11:12:04 AM »
Be on time.  If you are late, get out your cellphone, because I love getting pictures of the boat from a distance as I'm headed out to fish! 

Offer gas $ or launch fees or whatever.  Clearly from this thread, some will accept and some won't.  The gesture will always be appreciated regardless.

My biggest pet peeve, don't stand in the damn doorway to the cabin!!  I don't know why, but this is the hang out spot for people their first time on the boat.  There is no more of an inconvenient place to plant yourself.  If you are fishing, get on your gear.  If you aren't, stand off to the side or go inside and sit.  If I have to go from deck to cabin or vice versa, I don't want to have to move someone every damn time. 

Lastly, if your captain gives any kind of a safety brief, listen up.  I do it every time on our boat.  I am not telling you where the life jackets are, where the throw device or fire extinguisher are, or pointing out the mayday button on the radio for my health.  Every year there are stories about people who go out fishing, thinking they will be having a good time on the water, and ending up in some very unfortunate situations that could easily have been avoided.  If you take safety on the boat seriously, it's a lot easier to relax and actually have fun!

We have a rule on our boat, that anyone can call off the trip at any time for any reason, no questions asked.  If someone has to go in, cool, we go in.  Later on there will be a discussion about what happened and why, but in the moment I don't want anyone not speaking up for fear of being embarrassed or mocked or whatever. 
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

― Samuel Adams

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 11:50:01 AM »

We have a rule on our boat, that anyone can call off the trip at any time for any reason, no questions asked.  If someone has to go in, cool, we go in.  Later on there will be a discussion about what happened and why, but in the moment I don't want anyone not speaking up for fear of being embarrassed or mocked or whatever.

I love this rule I'm gonna add it to my boat launch safety talk.

Now I ain't no boat captain and Ive got a pretty small boat compared to some of y'all.
Rule #1 is if your not early you are late. If I say the boat is launching at 530 that means we need your stuff in the boat ready to go.

Rule #2 if all your stuff can't fit in a back pack and or in your seat you don't need to bring it.

Rule #3 is have fun. People get upset over some of the dumbest stuff and it can almost ruin a trip when someone picks up a bad attitude.

Rule #4 is listen to me. It's my boat, my gear, my rods, my gas, ect.

Rule #5 is my wife can break any of these rules at any time because it's also "her boat" .... I don't much care for this rule.

Rule #6 don't stand in the back of my boat. Damn it thing sits too low in the water for everyone to be crowded by the motors.

Now ways to get yourself invited again. Gas money, snacks, lunch, breakfast. If you break something offer to pay for it or fix it.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2022, 07:09:44 PM »
It's different when you're a guest vrs host.

If I invite you, I don't expect anything except be safe and exercise common sense. You're a guest. Just like if I invited you to my house for dinner, I wouldn't expect you to chip in some $$ for whatever we ate. It's weird to me to think about a bunch of rules for anyone on my boat. All day ocean trips I can see why guys want to split gas and ice, that makes sense, just tell your guest ahead of time. Clarity brings harmony lol.

If I'm a guest I work hard to be the best guest I can be.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2022, 08:03:58 PM »
I used to go with a guy that split everything 50-50
Right down to ice and panko for the fish frys
Kept all the receipts
End of the trip he’d send you a bill

Me in my boat
Throw me some gas $
I’m happy
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2022, 08:11:38 PM »
Nothing!
Don't expect.
Invite.

If they don't contribute, don't invite again.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2022, 08:15:25 PM »
Drink beer pull crab pots what more do you want?

Online jeffro

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2022, 10:42:37 PM »
Only 2 rules, BYOB & Captain gets first fish, regardless of who hooked it!
Options:
Wear your life jacket (supplied) unless your a moron
Bring food( no bananas) if a simple sandwich and snacks won’t be enough
Listen to your Captain unless you think you can swim to shore
Enjoy the free ride
One shot. One kill!

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2022, 12:12:10 PM »
Drink beer pull crab pots what more do you want?

:yeah: :tup: :brew:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]