collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GPS Collars for Pointing Dogs  (Read 4500 times)

Offline harleymc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Harley McAllister
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF
GPS Collars for Pointing Dogs
« on: June 28, 2022, 09:29:35 PM »
I'm a long time duck hunter who just purchased my first pointing dog, a Drahthaar.  Really enjoying him so far, he's just about 6 months and starting to point well.  Thing is, when he points in cover it is hard to know where he is, so I'm thinking I'd really like to get a GPS collar so that I can keep track of him.  I plan to do quite a bit of chukar hunting, which doesn't have much cover, but his coloring blends really well with the rocks and there are lots of folds in the terrain where I might not see him. 

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for or against some of the models out there?  I think I'd like one with stimulation as well in case I need to make a correction - like he still like to chase deer, or he finds his first porcupine/skunk, etc.  Thanks for any advice.

Harley

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: GPS Collars for Pointing Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 10:14:29 PM »
I dont have a recommendation for the kind of gps collar. I do have a recomendation as to who you should buy it from.

https://www.dusupply.com/dog-tracking.html

They have been a sponsor here, Ive purchased from them, they are a Washington company and they supply almost all the houndsmen doing studies in Washington on cougars and such.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 10:20:41 PM »
I’ve got a griffon and have yet to grab an e-collar/gps but will be grabbing the alpha 15. Should Do everything I need with mine. It was what the breeder/trainer recommended as well

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 05:58:57 AM »
I use the Garmin Alpha with my GWP.  They're spendy but worth every penny.  :tup:

Online mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 06:57:39 AM »
LCS https://www.lcsupply.com/blogs/hunting-dog-supplies-reviews/tagged/dog-tracking-systems has very good comparison videos and threads on all the most popular tracking/training systems.

I plan on going with the Alpha 10 for the compact size & TT15X collar for my short hair. But any of the Garmin track/trains are well rated.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 08:46:00 AM »
I've had a Pathfinder mini for just over a year.  One issue with it that got resolved by Dogtra in a timely manner.  It's controlled by your phone, which I'm not crazy about.  It's been a solid unit for me and my Gordon.

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 11:23:26 AM »
I've been using the garmin with  my GSP for the last 5 years. Really  gives you peace mind. Expensive but worth  it.

What sold me on it was a buddy  from Kansas  has two "trained" pointers. At the time: He said I spent two hours looking  for one of those fools  that morning, he said he would  buy the GPS

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline 509

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 02:30:26 PM »
I've been using the garmin with  my GSP for the last 5 years. Really  gives you peace mind. Expensive but worth  it.

What sold me on it was a buddy  from Kansas  has two "trained" pointers. At the time: He said I spent two hours looking  for one of those fools  that morning, he said he would  buy the GPS

You know those dogs were NOT "pointers".  They must have been Brittanies.

I had two GLP pointers.  Never had them run off.

I now have a Brittainy.  I also now own a Garmin Alpha collar.  It is amazing to see how far a Brittainy can run in just a few seconds. 

After paying for the dog, the Alpha collar is cheap insurance for knowing where the dog and being able to touch the dog from a 1/4 mile or more.  Worth the money if you own a Brittany.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 02:56:37 PM »
Garmin 550 pro plus, love it

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 03:42:02 PM »

I now have a Brittainy.  I also now own a Garmin Alpha collar.  It is amazing to see how far a Brittainy can run in just a few seconds. 

After paying for the dog, the Alpha collar is cheap insurance for knowing where the dog and being able to touch the dog from a 1/4 mile or more.  Worth the money if you own a Brittany.
Ha! Nope classic pointers. I have a GSP, he can travel, well he is  much better these days. I hunt  with  a guy that had two English settlers and those guys  range way further than  mine.

There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 05:47:44 PM »
My partner uses the garmin alpha & loves it. But the current version , alpha 200, is over $1000 which is ridiculous. I’m thinking of getting the Alpha 10 & a collar to go with it. That one you can buy the handheld & the collar separately, so it makes it easier to buy splitting it up.

Offline 509

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 06:14:58 PM »

Ha! Nope classic pointers. I have a GSP, he can travel, well he is  much better these days. I hunt  with  a guy that had two English settlers and those guys  range way further than  mine.

I have hunted with friends that have GSP's, but they hunted close.  Very unusual for GSP's as my friends were proud to say.

I have hunted with a friend with English Setters.  They hunted close. 

If were JUST up to me I would have another GLP, but the last one bit my wife four times.  OK....three times it was her fault, but that one time was concerning since the dog decided he was the alpha.

But he was a incredible hunter.  It was a partnership, he was never my dog.  Towards the end of his life, he would TELL me the approach path for  the flush.

A French Brit on the other hand is born into the Methodist Church.  Their services start out with...."today is the day the Lord have made, rejoice and be glad in it".

They wake up in the morning with a "YIPEE, another day to wreck havoc and enjoy the world".

Hence the need for a GPS collar.

One very real advantage of a GPS collar is you can set it to beep a certain distance from you.  I set mine for 30 yards.  The French lady, hears the beep and either looks at me or heads back to me.

I was worried about her ranging to far from me and flushing birds out off gun range.  Having that set at 30 yards my Methodist French girl hunts close. 

That is real important for older folks that do not view running while bird hunting as a sport.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 09:53:48 PM »
Had TriTronics years ago, got Garmin and have had them ever since. Would buy Garmin again if we needed another collar. While there are plenty of good collar out there, it is hard to beat Garmin overall. Yes on pricey.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »
I didn’t know a collar could be set to beep at a certain distance. What collar do you use that does that?

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 05:43:40 PM »
I have the dogtra pathfinder it’s great you can overlay it on satellite photos and you can set up a geofence that will tell you when your dog leaves that area and if you trained your dog to recall to a whistle it’s very easy to train him to the beep on the collar to come back You can also set up radius that will let you know when they go outside of that area
I use it n my French  Brittany it works great and it is a huge peace of mind when they are out of your site because you can see where they are in real time with satellite photo
It also tells you when they are running or pointing
The price is very reasonable also

I just read what 509 said about French brittanys pretty much spot on lol
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:49:54 PM by huntnfmly »
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU