collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tree stand placement  (Read 950 times)

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
Tree stand placement
« on: July 26, 2022, 11:11:38 AM »
I've got a local spot that I want to try hunting from a tree stand this archery season. I am a complete novice at tree stands, wonder if anyone had feedback on placement for me...

Imagine a mostly flat wheat field. On the edge of the field the hill drops away quick and steep and is heavily timbered. The deer move along the flat edge of the field, and have a very solid couple trails about 10-15 yards downhill from the edge. There is no rhyme or pattern I can pick up as to when they walk the flat edge or when they are on the trail. Often 10-15 will come through and there will be deer on all three at the same time. They also love to bed just downhill from the edge, all throughout the area.

Does the tree stand go on a tree as close to the edge as possible so I am above the deer on the flat and really high above the lower trails?
Does it go very close to the lower trails so I'm barely above the flat but directly above the trails

Does it go further downhill, more level with the lower trails but still not too far below the top flat?

Lots of trees to choose from, what is your strategy?

Also the wind often comes from the north N/W here and the further I go down the hill, the worst the wind direction might be for me. On a south wind it would be perfect

What else should i be thinking about?

Thanks!
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Tree stand placement
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 11:35:40 AM »
Bucks have a tendency to stage up back in the trees until very near dark if there is any pressure at all.  Young bucks may come out with the does whenever they decide to, but the mature bucks will show at the last minute especially without the aid of rut.  Do not enter your stand site from the same direction you expect the deer to be coming from, do not walk the game trails, hunt the wind, have more than one stand up to accommodate shift in wind direction.  Set your stand up to give you 15-20 yard shots @ your 9-10 oclock if right-handed, so you can stay seated through the shot sequence if possible.

Of course theres more but this is a good start.

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 11:48:03 AM »
Picking the right spot is obviously the key to success and unless ur incredibly lucky u won't be in the right spot the first couple of sits. In this situation I would chose the first lower tier but still be 12-15 ft above the fields level. If ur stand is even with the field or just above anything in the field will pick u off with any movement.  Try the first tier but high enough it keeps u above eyes and noses ( 15 ft ) and u should be able to shoot field, first tier and even lower trails. If steep down shot to lower trail picture the lungs as two phone books and try to hit both . Good luck.

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 02:28:48 PM »
Bucks have a tendency to stage up back in the trees until very near dark if there is any pressure at all.  Young bucks may come out with the does whenever they decide to, but the mature bucks will show at the last minute especially without the aid of rut.  Do not enter your stand site from the same direction you expect the deer to be coming from, do not walk the game trails, hunt the wind, have more than one stand up to accommodate shift in wind direction.  Set your stand up to give you 15-20 yard shots @ your 9-10 oclock if right-handed, so you can stay seated through the shot sequence if possible.

Of course theres more but this is a good start.

The way in is south across the field which gets a decent amount of Ag traffic so short of crossing the path once on top I shouldn't have any issues working in. The deer also come from the field but its a huge area, once they hit the ridge and trails they are mostly moving east/west. Thanks for the input!

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 02:29:55 PM »
Picking the right spot is obviously the key to success and unless ur incredibly lucky u won't be in the right spot the first couple of sits. In this situation I would chose the first lower tier but still be 12-15 ft above the fields level. If ur stand is even with the field or just above anything in the field will pick u off with any movement.  Try the first tier but high enough it keeps u above eyes and noses ( 15 ft ) and u should be able to shoot field, first tier and even lower trails. If steep down shot to lower trail picture the lungs as two phone books and try to hit both . Good luck.

Awesome, thank you!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]