collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Powerbelt Platinum Muzzleloading Bullets  (Read 9747 times)

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Powerbelt Platinum Muzzleloading Bullets
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
Update about performance of hard cast bullet performance.

100 Grain Pyrodex RS Loose
German Musket Caps
330 Gr Harvester Hard Cast lead

TC system 1 50 cal muzzy

4x4 bull elk at 105 yards quartered away. Entered perfect center height. A few ribs back from shoulder. Exited front of far shoulder. Double lung shot. Complete pass through. Perfect shot placement. Only made it a few yards and fell over in sight. Blood trail for the 10 yards was amazing. Penetration of the bullet and  wound channel was awesome. Chest cavity trauma and blood loss in cavity was awesome. Probably the best performance on elk with a muzzy that I have seen. Super impressed. Thanks for the recommendations by fellow Hunt wa members to try these out.

Nice!

They do leave a nasty wound channel, and tend to leave short blood trails.     :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline dub870

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »
I had the 330 platinums and they shot good enough out of my CVA Optima but I went with the Thors instead. I gave them to my friend with the same gun and it was shooting 12 inch groups at 25 yards. He happened to have a pack of the lead 405gr powerbelts and they shot great in his gun.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 02:14:46 PM »
I had the 330 platinums and they shot good enough out of my CVA Optima but I went with the Thors instead. I gave them to my friend with the same gun and it was shooting 12 inch groups at 25 yards. He happened to have a pack of the lead 405gr powerbelts and they shot great in his gun.
12 inch groups at 25yrds😲
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline PsoasHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 09:51:31 PM »
Anyone running these Hardcast bullets in a knight bighorn? 330 or 400, and what powder if you don't mind me asking? I've killed all 5 elk I've shot at with 358 gr all lead powerbelts. Never had to track one more than about 20 yards, but I've also never had an exit wound and therefore poor blood trails, so I have some concerns there.  These Harvester bullets sound legit, but a 1 year old at home makes for limited range time to work up a new load.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 10:02:36 PM »
We have a few knights that we will probably try and do load development for with the hardcast for upcoming seasons. Haven't tried yet in the knight rifles. But have had great success with accuracy and performance in a rifle with a less desirable twist rate than the knight so have high hopes for my other shooters using there knight rifles. Great bullets, company, performance, cost, and everything else associated with them.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »
shooting a T/C with 295's. 6" group @ 100 yards. Easy to load and unload. have some 245's and 330's to try for next year.
Shooting two 50gr 777 pellets.

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 05:57:10 PM »
What’s the benefit of the six o clock hold? Why not just use a transitional open sight? I’m always impressed by how your eye/brain/body make the peep/ghost ring work so precisely. But that’s all predicated on your eye centering it…. What am I missing?

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
What’s the benefit of the six o clock hold? Why not just use a transitional open sight? I’m always impressed by how your eye/brain/body make the peep/ghost ring work so precisely. But that’s all predicated on your eye centering it…. What am I missing?
I think its so you can see what you're aiming at instead of covering it.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »
Knight Disc Extreme, 295 Powerbelt Platinums , 3 50grain 777 pellets. Rear peep and Lee Shaver globe and crosshair front. I have several flattened out chunks of lead from the past found on the opposite side hide. This setup blows completely thru at reasonable ranges. I have no experience with with longer ranges but got to believe it is a great setup. Accuracy is unbelievable compared to stock fibre optics. One of my hunting partners has the almost identicle setup. Last year shot a blacktail in the head at 120 yards bedded down. Yesterday shot a coyote on a dead run at 130 yds.

Offline Irishbackwoods

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Grouse.... it's what's for dinner
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 03:36:35 AM »
I shoot the 338 grain platinums in my cva optima and I love em, easy to load, never had a flyer, 110 grains of blackhorn 209 powder for a charge, and they flat out deer on their ass.

I'm a happy camper with em

.50 cal mind you

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 11:16:50 AM »
Thanks to this thread I just order a pile of the 330 gr harvesters

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2022, 12:59:57 PM »
First off I will say I dont have experience with the platinum bullets but I do with the copper ones that are tipped. I shot the 348 grain in mine. Same twist rate with 100 grains loose 777. Shot amazing. Preformed horrible. Flat as a pancake with only 8 inches or so of penetration on a broadside elk with the only bone contact being 1 rib bone. Then following year took 3 shots over several miles of tracking to finally put a smaller cow on the ground.
I switched up to Harvester Hardcast 330 grain. Again same twist rate as your gun. It is in a sabot. I lube the sabot with bore butter. If I do my part off a bench with open peep sights and a 6 o'clock hold I can keep 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Shooting 90 grains 777. 3 bulls and 3 deer since. None went more than 20 yards. All complete pass through. Lots of damage too. 2 shots on elk were 135 yards and 155 yards. Then on the third I had a steep quartering away shot that entered behind the last rib on one side and exited through the shoulder on the far side.
They are really cheap too for the amazing performance that I have seen. I buy in bulk from the Harvester website. 50 sabots and 50 bullets with shipping I believe kept me under $30.

I also shoot the Harvester Hardcast, but I shoot the 400 grain.

Absolutely devastating wound channel on elk.
We've shot 25+ elk with them, and I am a huge fan.

I bought about a million of them (me and 3 sons).

If you want me to ship you 10 on my dime so you can try them, PM me your name/address.
you guys have me fired up on these harvesters,I called to talk with them and the gentleman is sending me some free to try out,I went with the 330 hardcast. Are any of you using pellets over loose powder? I've always used loose  because a guy I hunted with had problems with them not igniting.

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2022, 01:14:41 PM »
First off I will say I dont have experience with the platinum bullets but I do with the copper ones that are tipped. I shot the 348 grain in mine. Same twist rate with 100 grains loose 777. Shot amazing. Preformed horrible. Flat as a pancake with only 8 inches or so of penetration on a broadside elk with the only bone contact being 1 rib bone. Then following year took 3 shots over several miles of tracking to finally put a smaller cow on the ground.
I switched up to Harvester Hardcast 330 grain. Again same twist rate as your gun. It is in a sabot. I lube the sabot with bore butter. If I do my part off a bench with open peep sights and a 6 o'clock hold I can keep 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Shooting 90 grains 777. 3 bulls and 3 deer since. None went more than 20 yards. All complete pass through. Lots of damage too. 2 shots on elk were 135 yards and 155 yards. Then on the third I had a steep quartering away shot that entered behind the last rib on one side and exited through the shoulder on the far side.
They are really cheap too for the amazing performance that I have seen. I buy in bulk from the Harvester website. 50 sabots and 50 bullets with shipping I believe kept me under $30.

I also shoot the Harvester Hardcast, but I shoot the 400 grain.

Absolutely devastating wound channel on elk.
We've shot 25+ elk with them, and I am a huge fan.

I bought about a million of them (me and 3 sons).

If you want me to ship you 10 on my dime so you can try them, PM me your name/address.
you guys have me fired up on these harvesters,I called to talk with them and the gentleman is sending me some free to try out,I went with the 330 hardcast. Are any of you using pellets over loose powder? I've always used loose  because a guy I hunted with had problems with them not igniting.

I'm lazy, so I have shifted mostly to pellets.

I just love these Harvesters.....
I try to be careful with my shots, but I have never lost an elk or had a long trailing job.   
If you do your part, they are devastating.
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 04:37:01 PM »
CVA Mountain Stalker .50cal 1:38 twist, 100gr Pyrodex RS, 20 yard torture test into wet sand. The 338gr Platinum is a beast and one I highly recommend for Elk.

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 06:54:44 PM »
CVA Mountain Stalker .50cal 1:38 twist, 100gr Pyrodex RS, 20 yard torture test into wet sand. The 338gr Platinum is a beast and one I highly recommend for Elk.

That looks exactly like you'd want them to perform.

Very cool.
I love the BFRO!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]