collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: No Campfires, Means NO CAMPFIRES  (Read 10748 times)

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: No Campfires, Means NO CAMPFIRES
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2022, 07:54:49 AM »
BSS?

Burn, shovel, ...
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2022, 09:31:11 AM »
I'll give you a perfect example. This Labor day we went backpacking in the wilderness. There were two good size wildfires burning in this wilderness along with multiple trail closures and a burn ban in effect. We camped in a basin above 8000 ft next to a nice alpine lake. The fuel was so sparse and green that you literally couldn't have started a wildfire with 1000 gallons of napalm and a 70mph wind. Fire danger in this specific spot was ZERO. I will re iterate that there was ZER0 chance of starting a wildfire. We had a really nice campfire that night and enjoyed it worry free. We got dirty looks and off hand comments from the other group that was camped near by. They could see and smell smoke from the wildfires and they were scared. The Govt told them fire danger was high and that there was a burn ban. They didn't understand that the wildfires burning near by were 3000 feet lower in elevation and burning in a completely different fuel type. They're the average person and they're the reason why we have burn bans. So once again I'll enjoy my campfire and whisky when it's safe to do so regardless of what the govt tells me. The rest of you can do what Uncle Sam says.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »
I'll give you a perfect example. This Labor day we went backpacking in the wilderness. There were two good size wildfires burning in this wilderness along with multiple trail closures and a burn ban in effect. We camped in a basin above 8000 ft next to a nice alpine lake. The fuel was so sparse and green that you literally couldn't have started a wildfire with 1000 gallons of napalm and a 70mph wind. Fire danger in this specific spot was ZERO. I will re iterate that there was ZER0 chance of starting a wildfire. We had a really nice campfire that night and enjoyed it worry free. We got dirty looks and off hand comments from the other group that was camped near by. They could see and smell smoke from the wildfires and they were scared. The Govt told them fire danger was high and that there was a burn ban. They didn't understand that the wildfires burning near by were 3000 feet lower in elevation and burning in a completely different fuel type. They're the average person and they're the reason why we have burn bans. So once again I'll enjoy my campfire and whisky when it's safe to do so regardless of what the govt tells me. The rest of you can do what Uncle Sam says.
pretty big stretch to label anyone who doesn't have fires as government sheep man. Could it just be that some just think the juice isn't worth the squeeze  :dunno:

Hope that fire wasn't within a hundred feet of that lake. You'll get a ticket for that one too. Ask me how I know  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:😡
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2022, 10:26:14 AM »
I enjoyed my fire and whiskey this past archery season as well!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2022, 10:28:45 AM »
pretty big stretch to label anyone who doesn't have fires as government sheep man. Could it just be that some just think the juice isn't worth the squeeze  :dunno:

Hope that fire wasn't within a hundred feet of that lake. You'll get a ticket for that one too. Ask me how I know  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:😡

Pretty big stretch for me to be labeled as a selfish outlaw with no respect for anyone but myself too.  :dunno:

A lot of those lakes do have distance restrictions for fires, but this wasn't one of them.  That sucks youve been popped, I've never liked those egulations either!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »

Pretty big stretch for me to be labeled as a selfish outlaw with no respect for anyone but myself too.  :dunno:

A lot of those lakes do have distance restrictions for fires, but this wasn't one of them.  That sucks youve been popped, I've never liked those egulations either!
I was 17 and my brother was 12 and we didn't know such a thing as a burn ban, or wilderness rules existed.  It was early summer and there was snow everywhere. He lit into us for having the fire by the lake and also "abandoning" it because we were 50 yards down shore fishing. Before we could even get "hello sir" out of our mouths he Immediately lit into us for being "disrespectful little *censored* heads who were going to burn the woods down!"  Apparently the snow and sand was gonna catch fire and spread into the rest of the snow  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »
That sounds like a park ranger after they got to carry guns!!!   Dirty harry complex whet to most their heads.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2022, 12:31:40 PM »
What do you burn in your campfires over 8000 feet in washington? 300 year old Juniper and the dried feces of your dead enemies?  You all are tougher mountain men than me.  There was that one time I DIDNT have a fire though, and I was bushwhacked in the night by a bunch of guys in Biden masks who forced me to swear allegiance to big government.  As soon as they left I was immediately set upon by an entire pack of bears (yeah a pack of them!). They chewed up my apple watch and ate all my gel electrolytes and I was forces to hike out the next day with only a bag of costco granola snacks.  Fortunately the keyfob on my hybrid was still in my pocket and I could follow the chirp chirp of the alarm back to the trailhead.  Keep those fires burning brothers, heed my cautionary tale of what can happen to you in the dark. 

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2022, 12:48:11 PM »
I never have a scabbard over my sword. Dont reckon I need one as I have over 15 years experience traveling all over southeast Asia,... mostly Thailand... with an un scabbarded sword. Trust me when I say I know how to use and protect my sword and I'm not gonna let Uncle Sam tell me to scabbard my sword. So while you sheep are tooting down Aurora with your sword in a scabbard, i will be enjoying the feel of an un scabbarded sword in my hand.

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »
I like fires as much as the next guy maybe even more than most but, I respect the law and others property more than my own desire to have a fire. I live in extreme fire country (by my own choice I know), but some of these answers really make me cringe.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2022, 03:28:31 PM »
 :yeah: Amen!!!!

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2022, 03:41:55 PM »
I'd hazard a guess that by August, when small groups of firefighters are out there at night, and at altitudes of over 5000 feet elevation........they are going to have small warming fires. And that warming fire is possibly the last bit of fire that gets put out.

Offline KillerBeee

• Tuna Meister
  • Hunter
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2022, 04:48:30 PM »
Some of these responses really tweak a nerve.

Offline Gettin Birdie

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 04:53:45 PM »
I have fires, when appropriate, ban or not, I am in fire as well, like doublelunger.  There is a difference between avid/knowledgeable outdoorsman and someone who is that, plus been in fire or educated in such.  There is a lot more to it, weather, fuel types, fuel moisture, etc. that determines weather a fire would start and carry, and that even means getting anywhere from your ring/area to begin with.  We have many warming fires on the fires I'm on, just part of it, freezing your nuts off sometimes.  Common sense, plus fire knowledge does give me a leg up imo, most fires are started by dumb people, I won't let it ruin it for me.  I presume most on here are able to do the same if they choose, if you are worried, then don't, but I won't let the bad apples ruin it for me either.   

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2022, 05:55:58 PM »
I've been in elk camp (LT Murray......which is closed to all fires April 15-October 15) and the wind was howling so bad, starting a campfire would have been very irresponsible. Getting the wood stove going inside the wall tent was even a problem......since the wind wouldn't let the smoke escape from the chimney. Luckily, we had an extra section of flexible pipe (stove to chimney), so I put that on top of the chimney pipe and directed it away from the direction of the wind. I had brought a salvaged stainless steel washing machine drum to camp and we fired this up under the tarp of our cooking area and this worked real well.......put an old Weber grill rack over the drum and you have a decent spark arrestor.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]