collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2023 TOYOTA TACOMA WORTH BUYING TRD PACKAGE  (Read 9216 times)

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: 2023 TOYOTA TACOMA WORTH BUYING TRD PACKAGE
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2022, 08:30:12 AM »
Somehow the post got hijacked, I just want a new 4x4 truck that gets decent gas mileage and is reliable.

The 2019 TRD off road is reliable and gets horrible gas mileage, especially with upgraded tires. I get about 15 around town and 19 highway. If I wanted that kind of mileage, I'd have stuck with my old Tundra.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2022, 09:44:52 AM »
Grouse. In short, yes they are worth it. From an investment standpoint thinkingman doesn't think. Regardless of fanboys or whether or not they are appropriately suited for truck work. The fact remains buy one rust it out, beat it up, put 200 gs on it and sell it for a mint to a fanboy in 10 minutes.

I enjoyed the heck out of both of mine. Last on i had was a 2010 4.0. So not much experience with the newer stuff. If you need a truck to haul stuff, have lots of room be a smoother ride and tow anything remotely heavy. You need a full size. If easier to park, turn around, anecdotally less prone to breakage, something you may want to mod to get in more trouble with and IMO just funner to drive, then a tacoma would fill the bill perfectly.
You might not be as smart as you would like to believe.
I bought a 2006 TRD Sport with 6spM just to see what all the hype was about.
Immediately, I noticed with 450lb of passengers and a canopy over the ridiculous, useless 5' bed, I couldn't clear a speed bump without hitting the bump stops....Literally.
Rear leafs had negative camber.
Know I know that's a sign of quality and loggers and other men with facial hair recognize that is what you want in a rig made to make you look more manly, but it didn't work for me.
I called Toyota and they said I was crazy, they didn't make anything underengineered with crappy OE supplies and to go away.
I eventually replaced the rear leaf with OME Dakar springs and removed the 3rd leaf so I didn't look like a desperate 19yr old trying to impress girls and removed those garbage yellow Bilstein 4600s (TRD? more like TeRD) and installed 5100s and it finally rode like a decent vehicle.
Same for the front...OME 883s and 5100s....Not preloaded 5100s like the people who only care about looks and know nothing about suspension dynamics which makes up about 89% of TacomaWorld members.

I spent $2k and did all the work myself to fix what Toyota failed miserably to do with all their vast engineering prowess and superior quality control.
Then they finally issued a suspension recall to fix what I told them was wrong years earlier and they told me to Eff Off when I presented them with receipts for the expense to fix a vehicle defective from the start.

I drove that car to 186k miles, when I traded it for the F150 I have now.

Toyota:
New suspension to fix the sad crap they put on at the factory
Two water pumps, installed myself
New set of takeoff wheels from some kid that had to have 35's to feel like a man because my original 'alloys' corroded and flaked so badly it was embarassing.
Gas cap door fell off from the cheap stamping rusting away...Not even anything close to a hinge on it.
Rubber roof strips sailed off on I-90 near Ellensburg.
Rear window rattled loose on cobble in the LT Murray...Luckily I realized it before it literally fell out and shattered.

Frame had rot holes in it but not 10cm so Toyota said 'Keep driving that crap'.

I sold it for $12.5k to some fool who believes what he reads on the internet.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »
I'm sure glad Toyota sold you that rig and not me. I've not experienced a single.one of those issues on any of the many I've bought over the last 30 years. Over a million miles and a lot of them hard miles, and none of those issues you had. Even have some factory wheels with over 400K on em that that only show signs of rocks I've hit and stains from the grime they put on the roads in the winter since I never wash em that time of year. I did break a belt one time but that was a simple fix.

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2022, 06:37:57 PM »
wow you are really butt hurt. There is help out there.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2022, 09:10:49 PM »
Thinkingman,
I’ve yet to read any other reviews that are comparable to yours.
Ever.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2022, 09:35:39 PM »
I’ve put 22000 miles on my 2013 TRD off road this year since I got back from Alaska in February and 11k of those miles were on logging roads doing forestry work and very crappy forest service roads. Averaged 17-23 mpg this year with the higher mileage being road trips over to Washington and Montana.

Only complaints I have is I wish I had a manual and you can’t haul more than 500 lbs in the back before the back end sags. Pulled trailers full of a cord of wood and snowmobiles and it did just fine.

I’d compare the Tacoma to the Ford Ranger if you’re looking for something of similar size. Went hunting with a buddy that has one and they’re as nice as Tacoma’s for woods driving.

The newer hound hunting trucks you see over here are Tacoma’s and Tundras. There’s a reason for that.

I drive dodges and Fords most of the time in the summer while working and they aren’t as a comfortable of a ride on the crappy National Forest roads like the Tacoma’s are. 

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2022, 08:46:49 AM »
wow you are really butt hurt. There is help out there.
I promised Toyota that their arrogance would be broadcast.
I keep my word.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2022, 08:50:44 AM »
Thinkingman,
I’ve yet to read any other reviews that are comparable to yours.
Ever.
Strangely, Toyota did have to issue recalls for frame rust and bed rust, in addition to others.
Spend an hour or two on Tacomaworld forum.
Between the 'How do I put brighter yellow fog bulbs in my incandescent housing for driving in traffic?' and 'Which tires look better?', you will see questions regarding the definite decline in the Toyota quality myth...But you have to have an open mind and willing to admit the truth.
It will break you out of the Toyota Fanboi syndrome.
― Bertrand Russell

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2022, 08:53:29 AM »
I just tried. It didn't break me out of it. :dunno:

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »
I'm sure glad Toyota sold you that rig and not me. I've not experienced a single.one of those issues on any of the many I've bought over the last 30 years. Over a million miles and a lot of them hard miles, and none of those issues you had. Even have some factory wheels with over 400K on em that that only show signs of rocks I've hit and stains from the grime they put on the roads in the winter since I never wash em that time of year. I did break a belt one time but that was a simple fix.
You must have spent a lot of time on that!
This took 30 seconds...
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacoma-frame-cancer-has-this-been-solved.788110/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tsb-list-for-2005-toyota-tacoma.7107/
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Buckjunkie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
Some of these posts sound like crazy talk to me - of the pickups I have owned, 2 Chevys, 1 Dodge, 1 Ford and 5 Toyotas. The repair bills for the American made vehicles was way worse than the Toyotas. I have over 500,000 miles on my Toyotas, so it’s not like we don’t drive them.

I also have many friends with Toyotas and they all have the same experience.

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2022, 09:23:40 AM »
Good stuff. I'm driving a 1999 F-150......got it for $15K. But it's 2 wheel drive and manual. Won't go up a small hill with snow on it. I was thinking of upgrading to a F-150 with 4W drive, a Tundra or Tacoma before the prices went loco. I'm 76 and probably won't be driving in another 24 years. Maybe a lease when the '99 dies (if it ever does).

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2022, 09:33:20 AM »
My 2007 tundra on Saturday. I bought her at 38k miles in 2014. Besides standard maintenance the only repairs I've had to do was the A/C compressor last year. That was a nice little bill :o.

My wife drives it now since I got a 2021 f150 last year. If Toyota offered a crew cab with a 6.5ft bed I'd have gone that route most likely.  I LOOOOOVE my f150 now though so hard sayin if I'd go tundra if I had a time machine. Maybe would have saved me from having a dead truck on the side of the highway one month after I bought it. And by dead I mean not even my hazard lights would work. Ford would only tow it to the nearest dealer so used AAA to get it back to yakima. Tail end of a hunting trip that took me to Southern Idaho, then Montana, and finished in Spokane. Thank god she died in Spokane and not the middle of BFE idaho.  Wife drove up in the tundra to pick me up. No issues :chuckle:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:50:29 AM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2022, 09:36:38 AM »
You must have spent a lot of time on that!
This took 30 seconds...
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacoma-frame-cancer-has-this-been-solved.788110/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tsb-list-for-2005-toyota-tacoma.7107/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2014/04/ford-recalling-more-vehicles-for-rust-problems/&ved=2ahUKEwjyoqrIrZ_8AhV0MX0KHZ_pDF4QFnoECC4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Rdc_PcI4xiIFOa1lBvCCd

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/ford-explorer-recall-corrosion-can-damage-the-rear-suspension-a9267780957/&ved=2ahUKEwjyoqrIrZ_8AhV0MX0KHZ_pDF4QFnoECDEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2QwGrvd1xvQ5kB_CUAnX_h

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://thenewswheel.com/ford-recalls-435000-models/&ved=2ahUKEwi2wfb9rZ_8AhVyP30KHd7SA7w4ChAWegQIDxAB&usg=AOvVaw0DG-wDqKudY1HzeUjjmFia

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://f150advisor.com/ford-f150-rust-recall/&ved=2ahUKEwjyoqrIrZ_8AhV0MX0KHZ_pDF4QtwJ6BAgiEAE&usg=AOvVaw1QK9BREJ_JE1uGjWRNrTNF

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2022, 09:40:51 AM »
My 2007 tundra on Saturday. I bought her at 38k miles in 2014. Besides standard maintenance the only repairs I've had to do was the A/C compressor last year. That was a nice little bill :o.

My wife drives it now since I got a 2021 f150 last year. If Toyota offered a crew cab with a 6.5ft bed I'd have gone that route most likely.  I LOOOOOVE my f150 now though so hard sayin if I'd go tundra if I had a time machine. Maybe would have saved me from having a dead truck on the side of the highway one month after I bought it. And by dead I mean not even my hazard lights would work. Ford would only tow it to the nearest dealer so used AAA to get it back to yakima. Tail end of a hunting trip that took me to Southern Idaho, then Montana, and finished in Spokane. Thank god she died in Spokane and not the middle of BFE idaho.  Wife drove up in the tundra to pick me up. No issues :chuckle:
I agree that Toyota really missed out on not having a decent sized bed on the Crewmax. That is my biggest complaint for the Tundra.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal