collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quail on the Westside  (Read 7502 times)

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: Quail on the Westside
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »
I see Mountain Quail frequently in Mason County.  They never seem to be in coveys of much size though. No more than 10.

SR1

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 10:15:07 AM »
Mountain Quail are your mainstay westside birds.   Only Bobwhite breeding population that I know of is on the Firing Center here in Yakima.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 11:23:02 AM »
Mountain Quail are your mainstay westside birds.   Only Bobwhite breeding population that I know of is on the Firing Center here in Yakima.

I have never seen any in Washington, one time in Or.

I’ve been throwing around the idea of turning some type of quail loose on our property to see if they would get a foot hood and reproduce.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline 85yota

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2023, 08:09:52 AM »
Early to mid 2000s would see them all the time between woodinville maltby area. Just rural suburban area that hasn't changed much since. Not sure what happened but they clearly died off and we havnt seen them in years

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2023, 07:54:23 PM »
I see Mountain Quail frequently in Mason County.  They never seem to be in coveys of much size though. No more than 10.

SR1

Most of what you would see in Mason county are mountain quail. They are in smaller family groups so it would make a lot of sense to see them of groups smaller than10. Those groups of 10 would likely be in the late summer/fall and are likely that years hatch. Awesome birds!

Offline CasterlyRock

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2023, 08:50:35 PM »
My farm raised bobwhites and California quail have done really well on the West side. I know it's not the same as wild populations, but they do live outside all year in fairly sparse protection. The California quail were free range through the whole Winter before the fledgling hawks got to them. They're able to tolerate cold really well they just huddle together, as long as they have somewhere to stay dry they're fine. They are almost doing better than when I raised them in more temperate climates down south because the big heat waves really knocked them out.

Also I'm highly interested in partnering with someone to try and build some wild populations this year. I've contacted a lot of agencies and gotten a lot of shrugs.

Offline dub870

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2023, 09:12:49 PM »
We have a small covey here in Lake Stevens that is wild. Lives in the power line right of way by my house. awesome seeing them when the chicks are out.

Offline DIron

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2023, 09:37:17 PM »
My farm raised bobwhites and California quail have done really well on the West side. I know it's not the same as wild populations, but they do live outside all year in fairly sparse protection. The California quail were free range through the whole Winter before the fledgling hawks got to them. They're able to tolerate cold really well they just huddle together, as long as they have somewhere to stay dry they're fine. They are almost doing better than when I raised them in more temperate climates down south because the big heat waves really knocked them out.

Also I'm highly interested in partnering with someone to try and build some wild populations this year. I've contacted a lot of agencies and gotten a lot of shrugs.
I'd love to help. I've only been in Western Wash for 5 years and really wonder why there isn't more quail here.

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2023, 06:39:16 AM »
I have seen a few at a time on the Kitsap Peninsula, but this year I jumped about 20 in a clear cut by Seabeck/Holly.

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2023, 07:36:15 AM »
We're out by Lake Roesiger (East of Lake Stevens) and I'll get California quail coming through the yard every so often - maybe see them once a year, if that. I'll hear them calling occasionally so I know they're around, but not in any big numbers...

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2023, 08:45:28 PM »
I have a bit of experience raising quail and for the last 20 or so years been a licensed gamefarmer in Washington. If there are folks wanting info about what can be done I am glad to lend my knowledge and experience. I might be able to help with sourcing eggs or ?? WDFW is not pro-release of anything by private people. That said, I can offer information to meet minimum requirements for release of birds. Bobs and valley quail are the cheapest ranging from $1 to $4 an egg, sometimes cheaper in large quantities. Mountains will be $10 to $15 an egg if you can find them and in my experience the mountains do not ship as well.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2023, 10:56:23 AM »
My great grandfather farmed in Burien... yes I said Burien :chuckle: starting in the 1920's all the way until the late 80's. My grandfather told me that there used to be tons of quail in the salmon creek drainage going down to the sound. My mom is 73 and she remembers them as well.
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal