collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Lake Roosevelt White Sturgeon Meeting in Colville  (Read 1535 times)

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
WDFW Lake Roosevelt White Sturgeon Meeting in Colville
« on: March 24, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
I attended this meeting last night in Colville and I have to say, it was a very positive informative meeting. Unlike all of the other WFWD meetings I’ve attended. So, keep your rants to yourself, unless you attended the meeting. I’m sure it will be available online if you want to learn about this fishery. They went into great detail of the year-by-year hatchery program, what they did then and what they are doing now. They went into the Colville Tribe program, and how they are working together. They know the age of the hatchery fish by the chips in them and are monitoring their size and the why’s, on the different slot sizes by year. And a very good explanation of why the fall season, (Sept. 15th to Nov. 30) vs the June through September season. I’m all for keeping this fishery not only for us, but for our kids and grandkids. I personally appreciate having the opportunity to fish for these assume fish.   

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: WDFW Lake Roosevelt White Sturgeon Meeting in Colville
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 09:54:49 AM »
Any information on the average age of a slot fish?
Interesting they have C&R planned for 2029 and 2030. Bad year classes?
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 10:58:33 AM »
I do know the a 51” sturgeon is about 12 years old, a fish checker told us about a chipped fish he checked. They have met their goal of thinning out the hatchery fish raised from eggs. Now they net fry and rase them in the hatchery and release them at a survivable size. Those fish that are stronger, almost wild stock are reaching the lower end of the 50” slot. That’s why the increase in the lower end and every 2 years after. The C&R years is to not retain them at all. There my never be a decent spawn survival rate ever, but this will insure that there will be wild spawners to harvest fry from for years to come. Like I said a very informative meeting, and interesting to see the reason behind their plan. We can guess and bitch all we want, because we stay in our ignorance. It makes total sense to me why they are doing what they are doing.     

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 12:26:58 PM »
That program has been a real success story, and the people I've met involved in it are very dedicated and knowledgeable.  Cooperation between the tribe and wdfw should be used as a model for other fisheries programs in the state

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 01:45:11 PM »
I do know the a 51” sturgeon is about 12 years old, a fish checker told us about a chipped fish he checked. They have met their goal of thinning out the hatchery fish raised from eggs. Now they net fry and rase them in the hatchery and release them at a survivable size. Those fish that are stronger, almost wild stock are reaching the lower end of the 50” slot. That’s why the increase in the lower end and every 2 years after. The C&R years is to not retain them at all. There my never be a decent spawn survival rate ever, but this will insure that there will be wild spawners to harvest fry from for years to come. Like I said a very informative meeting, and interesting to see the reason behind their plan. We can guess and bitch all we want, because we stay in our ignorance. It makes total sense to me why they are doing what they are doing.   

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info, and for attending.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline 22shtur

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 05:18:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.
Why a fall season rather than the summer one?

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2023, 05:45:21 PM »
Huh, I saw that on the Stevens County Commission agenda. if it had been a few hours earlier I would have stopped in. Glad it was informative!
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 10:04:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Why a fall season rather than the summer one?
They are loosing the big spawners that they harvest the fry from. So in order to protect them that moved the season to cooler water temps and the spawn is over. The stresses of being caught will sometimes stop them from spawning.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 11:23:02 AM »
Isn't that when they used to open the river above China Bend?  I think that was because they figured the spawners had finished spawning. Did they close the hatchery they were using in Canada?  Did they give any idea as to what age group do they start spawning?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 09:05:17 AM by Ridgeratt »

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 11:44:18 AM »
Great info! Thanks!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 01:21:46 PM »
Isn't that when they used to open the river above China Bend?  I think that was because they figured the spawners had finished spawning. Did they close the hatchery they were using in Canada?  Did they give any idea as to what age group do they start spawning?
It will be open up to the Canadian border, they did say the size of spawners, but I don't recall. Sorry

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 01:26:24 PM »
It will be open up to the Canadian border, they did say the size of spawners, but I don't recall. Sorry

Since every fish has a pitt tag in it. Did Donnelly say just how many keepers are still in the pool? Last time I talked to him I thought he had said less than 2k. In May I might get a chance to ask him again.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 01:45:15 PM »
Very interesting info.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 02:45:16 PM »
I've read 15 plus years to reach spawning age. Then every 2 to 11 years after that.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »

Since every fish has a pitt tag in it. Did Donnelly say just how many keepers are still in the pool? Last time I talked to him I thought he had said less than 2k. In May I might get a chance to ask him again.
They want to harvest 500 a year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal