collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing the jetties  (Read 1975 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Fishing the jetties
« on: March 25, 2023, 04:53:32 PM »
Anyone well versed in fishing the jetties for rockfish and the like? I’m hoping to give it a whirl this year. Really I’m hoping to give it a whirl with a fly rod but I’ll bring a backup spinning rod because I don’t like to not catch fish. Anyone interested in meeting up?
Westport? Not really sure. I’m going to figure it out though.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Fishing the jetties
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »
Anyone well versed in fishing the jetties for rockfish and the like? I’m hoping to give it a whirl this year. Really I’m hoping to give it a whirl with a fly rod but I’ll bring a backup spinning rod because I don’t like to not catch fish. Anyone interested in meeting up?
Westport? Not really sure. I’m going to figure it out though.
The walk gets tougher about half way out.  I would think fly fishing would be really difficult with no room for backcast.  Good luck!
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 05:44:55 PM »
I have it pretty well figured out. The key is fishing when the water is moving the least, this is when the fish come out to feed. Before high slack and through high slack and also low tide. But specially high slack. Fly fishing would work well for black bass. The trick is finding them. This is easy from a boat on a nice day. Fishing from the bank can be really tough specially on the weekend cuz there’s a ton of people out there. Key when fishing that shallow is really realistic gear. Light swim baits and such. 1/4 oz - 1/2 oz. They don’t like it to fall too fast. Drifting herring works best for lingcod for me. You don’t have much time so capitalizing on the short slack tide window is key. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 05:58:13 PM »
Thank you.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Online Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 07:27:29 PM »
I’ve been wanting to try this sometime as well, just have no idea where to begin. Figure it can’t hurt to just drop a worm down with some split shot. :chuckle:
SliverSlinger

Offline Longfield1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
I’ve fished the south jetty at Westport around 10 times from a boat and usually catch a few lingcod each time also cabezon. Haven’t caught a rockfish once. I fish the sunken jetty though. The bite changes throughout the season seems to be easier at the opening and they get more picky towards the end in terms of bait. Be careful traversing the rocks to get to the point. A friend of mine got a concussion out there years ago after taking a tumble.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 10:19:45 PM »
Wanna try from a boat? Might have a seat this spring/summer.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 07:13:10 AM »
I fished the south jetty a couple years ago and caught 2 lings with a keitech paddle tail. I almost walked to the end of the jetty but about halfway they change the rock size and it's hard to walk on. All the fish were up close anyways

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 07:32:59 AM »
I’ve fished the south jetty at Westport around 10 times from a boat and usually catch a few lingcod each time also cabezon. Haven’t caught a rockfish once. I fish the sunken jetty though. The bite changes throughout the season seems to be easier at the opening and they get more picky towards the end in terms of bait. Be careful traversing the rocks to get to the point. A friend of mine got a concussion out there years ago after taking a tumble.

There’s a few spots that the rock fish are always holding at along the jetty. Trick is to find the fish first then park on them with the correct lures. If you are only ever catching lings my bet is your gear is to large, the rockfish can be surprisingly picky on jetties. But I do think the sunken jetty is more of a ling thing. The rock fishing along the jetty can be shockingly good.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 07:40:43 AM »
Wanna try from a boat? Might have a seat this spring/summer.

Let me know for sure.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 07:50:42 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I can handle the casting restrictions with the fly rod, no problem.

I’ve read a lot about soft plastics and swim baits and such for gear fishing. My question on this topic. I see guys using these rods that look like they’re 14’ long and rated to fish great whites. Is it possible to use a steelhead/salmon type rod with some 15# test or something like that? I get the rocks are tough on gear and all that. Doesn’t look like they’re casting super far and the fish aren’t that big.
Thanks.

Offline Longfield1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 08:08:53 AM »

There’s a few spots that the rock fish are always holding at along the jetty. Trick is to find the fish first then park on them with the correct lures. If you are only ever catching lings my bet is your gear is to large, the rockfish can be surprisingly picky on jetties. But I do think the sunken jetty is more of a ling thing. The rock fishing along the jetty can be shockingly good.

Your probably right. We use 4 ounce bullet jigs with split tail soft plastics.

Online Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
My question on this topic. I see guys using these rods that look like they’re 14’ long and rated to fish great whites. Is it possible to use a steelhead/salmon type rod with some 15# test or something like that? I get the rocks are tough on gear and all that. Doesn’t look like they’re casting super far and the fish aren’t that big.
Thanks.

Yes. I'm far from a jetty expert, but have had success several times over the years and you are basically describing what we always used.

I see people using those actual 'surf rods' for perch and they're so overmatched it's a bit ridiculous imo. Those seem designed for much bigger game.

A bigger factor is gear that can take a beating, imo, with the VW sized rocks covered with bird crap and slime. And I don't see it mentioned much, but felt soles or better yet felt with studs really help with footing.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I can handle the casting restrictions with the fly rod, no problem.

I’ve read a lot about soft plastics and swim baits and such for gear fishing. My question on this topic. I see guys using these rods that look like they’re 14’ long and rated to fish great whites. Is it possible to use a steelhead/salmon type rod with some 15# test or something like that? I get the rocks are tough on gear and all that. Doesn’t look like they’re casting super far and the fish aren’t that big.
Thanks.

Most people are using salmon gear. If you hook something you want to yrd it in though or they will likely swim into the rocks. You have the potential to hook a 15-20# lingcod. Which will likely defeat you. But that’s not the norm.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 11:47:14 AM »

Your probably right. We use 4 ounce bullet jigs with split tail soft plastics.

If you add a dropper loop about 3’ above and fish a small 3” swimbait, 2-3” squid or something of that sort you will catch the bass. If they are there. You will catch big 5# blacks on tiny lures.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]