collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lead bullet ban  (Read 6840 times)

Offline Guy

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
lead bullet ban
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:38:29 AM »
It's often said that Washington follows California's example. Here's food for thought about their new ban on bullets containing lead.

Quoted from SCI:

"Despite the strong opposition of SCI and other sporting groups, the California Fish and Game Commission expanded a statutory ban on the use of lead ammunition in condor "range" in central and southern California (about a 1/3 to 1/4 of the State). Lead ammunition is now prohibited in condor range for all big game (e.g., deer, elk, bear, wild pig) and non-game birds and mammals (e.g., crow, coyote, ground squirrels). While the legislative ban recently passed by the California Legislature and signed by Governor Schwarzenegger did not include non-game bird and mammals (other than coyote) and did not cover rimfire firearms, the regulatory ban covers all of these. Most troubling, the regulatory ban covers .22 caliber rimfire rifles, used mainly for small game. Currently, no nonlead ammunition exists for this firearm. In addition, the State's environmental review concluded that nongame bird and mammal carcasses do not represent a significant threat to the condor. The regulatory ban tracks the statutory ban's definition of condor "range" to include large areas of historic range where no condors currently exist. Consistent with SCI's comments, the Commission did define nonlead ammunition as allowing up to 1% lead, as currently available nonlead ammunition contains trace amounts of lead. Under the statute, the Commission must establish procedures to certify nonlead ammunition and a coupon reimbursement program if private funds can be found. Finally, the Commission established that mere possession of uncertified (i.e., leaded) ammunition and a firearm capable of discharging it in condor "range" is a violation of the law punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail. The lead ammunition ban goes into effect on July 1, 2008. "

Looks like Barnes and Nosler are well set to take this market... Sure would stink to be a southern-California hunter with a great lead/conventional bullet load or a mess of ammunition and not be able to use it. Hopefully this madness won't spread to the rest of the state or surrounding states...

FWIW, Guy

sisu

Re: lead bullet ban
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:45:09 PM »
Spoke with some guys from Michigan last night. They are watching this issue as we speak. I told them about the liberals in  Olympia and how I'll bet we see a bill like this in Washington within 5 years.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »
The whole thing is gawdamn crazy.  Next thing you know they'll ban carbon from arrows because the damn condor may be stupid enough to eat it and it will get stuck in his craw.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
That happens here, and I am moving to Alaska to some little lake and living out my days. I swear. This issue, and the fact Arny signed it, however disturbing, is laughable.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
ya see, they have proof that animals all over the state are dying from lead poisoning.....180 grains at a time..

:o
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Sideswipe

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »
Perhaps I got some of my info wrong.  I understood the law went into effect 8 July & that the CA Dept of Fish & Game had advised against it.  Glad to hear it does not cover the entire state as I had thought.  I can understand a lead ban in game units that active condors are in now.  With all the hoopla, I'm sure the governator & the CA legislature were aware of the immediate & huge impact on hunters & ammo manufacturers.  Guess this wasn't  part of their agenda (it was just for the condor wasn't it?).  Look in your gun cabinet & if you are not a handloader, how many of your firearms would be legal in CA to hunt with after July 08??  Hope all the other state legislatures  don't think this is a trendy idea.  I'm sure they could find a few organizations to encourage them.  Personally, I think this is a wildlife mgmt issue, & should be considered appropriately.  Pardon the pun, but many times CA leads the way, & that concerns me. (Former CA resident & hunter-now in W WA!!)
Essayons "let us try" motto of US Army Combat Engineers

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
This is a big deal with shooting ranges. Lead is starting to be used for a reason to shut them down.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 07:47:27 PM »
Devils advocate here....

Whats the big deal, lead is already banned for waterfowlers.

I'm not trying to start a war ;) just making a point, some of us are already affected by lead bans in WA.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
Here is a point....

Show me the environmental damage caused by lead bullets.... I dont see it.... this is just one more way for environmental wacko's to cost everyone money and frustration. 
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
Devils advocate here....

Whats the big deal, lead is already banned for waterfowlers.

I'm not trying to start a war ;) just making a point, some of us are already affected by lead bans in WA.
All .22 rimfire would be banned, all bullets with a lead core would be banned and the cost would go up even more than the stupid prices we pay on amunition.

Offline Sideswipe

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
Point well taken runamuk.  I don't hunt waterfowl & temporairly forgot about the thousands who do!  Looking back, I can see how you guys must have felt the impact.  Particularly when research data 'bout geese & ducks eating lead shot was initially sketchy (its been proven hasn't it?).  I still use my son's old 10# Model 29 Remington all-steel pump w/deelux Polychoke when I get a craving for homemade rabbit stew.  I can imagine trying to find a steel-compatible barrel for that faithful family dinasour!  The gun belonged to my cousin (KIA Korea) & then I grew up w/it & now it is my son's-forbidden to ever leave the family.  If I were a waterfoul hunter I would have had to leave my old friend home as they stopped making parts for it in 1929.  Divided we fall, should have remembered my duck hunt'in partners (I stopped running around in the rain & mud when I retired from the USA).
Essayons "let us try" motto of US Army Combat Engineers

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »
I have seen many birds die from just one lead bb!! :chuckle:

If the damned animal is dumb enough to eat it then it deserves to die.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]