collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 09 goose prairie archery bull tag  (Read 6350 times)

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
09 goose prairie archery bull tag
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »
I had a goose prairie bull permit for archery this season.  The area is open for antlerless and spikes and now I have a bull permit so I can shoot any elk  I've seen elk everyday even drew my bow on a nice 5pt but didn't have a good shot.  Now its the fourth day and I'm hiking back to the truck.  I stopped for a few seconds when I see some movement coming right at me its an elk and its close.  I draw my bow and it steps out of the brush a cow all by her self 14 yards away.  What do I do now I'm at full draw with an elk looking at me only 14 yards away it doesn't get much better then this when your a bow hunter.  I let it fly the arrow zip right through both lungs she runs 40 yards stops for a second and falls over dead.  It was kinda bitter sweet to me I got an elk and a freezer full of meat but I kinda wasted a bull permit.     

Offline BENCHLEG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: 09 goose prairie archery bull tag
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »
verry nice congrats.

Offline gasman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »
way to go  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline EastWaViking

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
tough to pass up like you said.  A good clean kill on a close elk... any elk, is a trophy.
Good job!

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »
Ya dont look back, the tag is just insurance in case a branched bull was to step out.  Meat is meat.

Offline littlebuf

• official YAR pack mule
  • Frontiersman
  • TeamYARwetspot-leavin other teams in da wetspot
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
ok im gonna be that guy, YOU BLEW A BULL TAG ON A COW!!!!! :yike: hope you didint waste a lot of points on the draw  :dunno:
No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
I had/have the same tag... and ate my Bull tag.  Passed on several cows..... should I have?  Not sure yet,  since I have my chance at a cow in the late season,  but I could very well have tag soup instead of elk meat this year.  It just kept popping in my head I have finaly got a chance at a big bull.  It was hard to not draw on the cows,  but I only hope I don't regret it.  I know if I had shot any one of them,  and then a bull happened to try to commit suicide... I would have regretted it for a long time.  Now not so sure... :-)   :yike:  A cow eats better anyway!!!   Maybe in 6 or so years I'll get another chance at a big bull!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:51:13 PM by NWWABOWHNTR »
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:47:13 PM »
unless you are going for a wall hanger a spike or a cow is better in the freezer anyhow. grats on the kill, goose prairie can be a tough place to hunt.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
I did the same in Montana this year. I figured that I would probably have the chance at a bull, but a nice cow stood there at 30 yards broadside just a little too long. Drew back and gave her a double lung shot, 20yards later she was down. Tuff to pass up meat in the freezer. On the flip side of the story, I have the Goose Prairie rifle tag this year for any bull and I hope to put it to good use on one of those big boys. 19 more days!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:01:28 AM by steeleywhopper »
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline D-Rock425

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 05:12:25 AM »
I had 5 points when I drew the tag.  That was the 5th elk that I've shot since 2003. a spike in 03, drew a bull permit in 04 and shot a 4pt, spike in 06 a cow last year and a cow this year

Offline colockumelk

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:26:09 AM »
I had 5 points when I drew the tag.  That was the 5th elk that I've shot since 2003. a spike in 03, drew a bull permit in 04 and shot a 4pt, spike in 06 a cow last year and a cow this year

Man in 2005 and 2007 you sucked :chuckle:  Just kidding.  5 elk in 7 years is amazing. 

"We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm."
Author: George Orwell

Offline brianmtsinc

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »
That is an awesome record! 
I personally would have passed on the cow, only because to me there is nothing better than bugling bulls coming to a call.  And with killing so many ??  I would have waited - but thats just me.

No one in our group had a bull tag so of course we had 3-4 solid opportunities at a 6pt or better.  That is the way it goes.  We did take 1 cow and 1 spike from goose. 

Many Years ago I had a peaches tag and passed a spike one the 4th to last day.  My camp gave me a lot of crap about and I did end up eating tag soup, but still looking back, the additional opportunities and memories over those next four days were worth it to me.  Just my  :twocents:.

Congrats on filling the freezer.  My cow this year tastes better than any I can remember! :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline D-Rock425

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
I would have to say mine is the best tasting elk i've ever shot too.

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
Good job laying one down. It's hard to shoot a cow with a big bull tag, but its all about personal choice. And you chose meat, and it sounds like that choice is paying off. Congrats!!

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
Sometimes that is the way it goes.  I have a cow ML tag and I had a bull that I could have shot but I can't seem to find a cow that will stand there like that bull did.  Good job on putting meat in the freezer.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal