collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: spring bear permits due march 13  (Read 21953 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: spring bear permits due march 13
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »
Hey Jack...

My mortgage is really high...how long is it ok for me to camp in your driveway??   lol :P

Now that is funny.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
May set this year out after pulling tags 3 years running :chuckle:  But then again, starting to get the Capitol figured out ;)  Might just be our year :dunno:  
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 06:42:39 PM »
Hey Jack...

My mortgage is really high...how long is it ok for me to camp in your driveway??   lol :P
my driveway is a hill...and the last time somebody camped in it, they only lasted a night.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »
May set this year out after pulling tags 3 years running :chuckle:  But then again, starting to get the Capitol figured out ;)  Might just be our year :dunno:  

If you get drawn you will want to make a trip up before the season to check out the road closures, slides and washouts. The last storm really put a hurtin' on some of the roads. You will still be able to access most your usual haunts though.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »
Well you have to figure I will be drawing one of those Monroe tags so you guys will be fighting for what's left!! :violent1:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »

[/quote]

Not sure about Kapowsin, but they nailed the bears the first two years in CF. They also did real well in the 03,04 & 05 general seasons. We are not seeing the sign or critters like we used to. That is why they dropped the permits down to 50 while they continue their study.

I would pick Monroe first as it is closest to me, but I am sure the Skagit unit will have some big bears.
[/quote]

Just from experience I agree with this. I know the peak really well and I drew the tag last spring. I only saw 3 bears and I hunted my butt off (well, part of it  :chuckle:)
 From hunting in the past regular seasons I have done better.
 I gonna put in for east side and make a vacation out of it if I pull tag.
Steve

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
If any of you guys pull an eastside tag get ahold of me. I scored the first spring bear hunt in 111 last year. not my first pick of hunt areas, but we saw bears....hell we shot bears.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
I think im gonna pull the same story from actionshooter.....go for eastern ...if I get it...vaca a bit. ;) Never been spring bear hunting..could be fun! Good luck to all.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 05:07:50 AM »
I'd like to put in for Capitol Peak but I'm not sure I will, as I don't want to waste my points, and I'm sure it will be a disappointment after having drawn it and hunted it successfully the first year they had the spring hunt in '04. I REALLY would like to put in for a couple of the northeast hunts, but with a newborn baby I'm not sure me going away for a week or two would be real popular with my wife....so I'm thinking that idea is out too. I suppose I will probably just apply for a point, and spend any time I do have in the Spring fishing and/or scouting out some new close-to-home areas for next year's muzzleloader elk hunt

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »
 The Monroe tag is in unit 448 which is across Hwy 2 from you Jack  and is actually where my house is, Stossel is in 460. But  there are no bears here anyway so you better put in for one of the good units. ;)
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 08:17:59 AM »
there are no bears here anyway

that is so wierd...what the hell were those really big black labs doing running around all by themselves up in the woods that i saw then...hmmmm...somebody needs to take better care of their wierd looking overly large dogs that are very scared of people.  :dunno:
thanks for the heads up and clarification.
i am starting to learn my home turf a little bit, but just getting started.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »
Let's just hope the drawing goes right the first time..
Don't want to break out the sign too many times this year.

Offline Sideswipe

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »
Thanks for the update!  If I don't see any Bar in North Skagit, maybe I'll run into some of you characters.  That's half the fun of hunt'in.  Monroe-well where?  When I did volunteer work at the Arlington trout hatchery they put me on to the land behind the salmon hatchery in Monroe/Sultan area.  I hunted it about 6 times over two years.  Lots of sign!  Both in the berrypatches & trails leading to the backside of the hatchery (fish eaters).  No luck but I heard of several big ones taken.  I'm a little shaky about eating bear meat from a fish eater.  I think I'll try N Skagit as I live in Stanwood-it will take some scouting though as I'm not familiar w/the area.  You guys hunting food sources, still hunt'in, or callin?  I'm still pretty junior in the bear dept.
Essayons "let us try" motto of US Army Combat Engineers

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »
I think I'll try N Skagit as I live in Stanwood-it will take some scouting though as I'm not familiar w/the area.  You guys hunting food sources, still hunt'in, or callin?  I'm still pretty junior in the bear dept.

Stanhood eh?! I grew up there! Class of 94~

Offline Sideswipe

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
Yup Saleen, Stanwood.  Been here 4 yrs since retiring from teaching auto mech in CA for 35 yrs (whew!-actually fun & I got $ for it).  Nice country up here-when does my lawn stop being soggy?  Did you do any bear hunt'in in the Arlington/Darrington area?  I need help baaaad.  Used to popp'in black bear over acorns & wild grape in Crescent City, CA but if this is the same game up here, the bears changed the rules-definately hunt'in & not kill'in!
Essayons "let us try" motto of US Army Combat Engineers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10