collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer Area 1021 - Clarkston  (Read 8423 times)

Offline Boomskin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Deer Area 1021 - Clarkston
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »
This area has a late anterless archery hunt for mule deer until December 31st. Anyone know much about the area? What about access - public vs private? Any info would be appreciated.

Offline fly4fish

• Scout
Re: Deer Area 1021 - Clarkston
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
This Unit is all private.  It is a small unit that is designed to thin out the deer in the Clarkston Hieghts area, which is residential.  It seems weird to me that this hunt exists, as it seems half the residents like the deer and half do not.  I live in Asotin county and archery hunt, but I could not shoot a deer, ecspecially a doe, in one persons yard with permission and then have to go through another person's yard to recover it.  Good chances where the deer dies will not be a good spot.  This is not the first year this hunt has gone on, so maybe there are not as many problems as one might think, but then again, maybe it is not that popular.  I could see people coming here for the hunt and then saying forget it, too risky.  On the bright side, if you have permission from someone with a few acres, you could get away with it, just pray that the kill is quick.  Also, it should be plenty easy to get within 30 yards of these town deer.  Good Luck

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »
I agree with fly4fish on being tough to get one to die in a good place.  It's not a hunt, so to speak, it's a season designed to harass the deer.  I do hunt it each year and did again this morning, but I hunt the bigger areas where you can't see houses and have room for a deer to run a few hundred yards after the shot.  I shot one day before yesterday that went 350 yards before dieing.  Still trying to get my second tag filled, though.  Most all of the landowners that you ask permission will give it to you because the people are fed up with the deer.  One thing I can say is that the local enforcement officer didn't have one hunting related complaint for all of last year's season, but he gets deer complaints every week.  He normally has a list of landowners who are asking for people to shoot deer that he will give out.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline KillerMiller

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
Boomskin,  I killed a doe in 1021 a few years back when it was just part of the late archery, it was my back up meat hunt.  There is limited hunting by permission.  If you want specifics send me a PM.  I would stick to the areas outside town if you can get permission.  The town deer are easy, but may end up in someones yard.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal