collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Drive hunt succes  (Read 3145 times)

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
Drive hunt succes
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
Started out with the normal. horn blowers and a speach from the hunt host. in this case there were three different hunts coming together in one so we had a few people.  Apparently every time there is a drive hunt on one area the pigs just move over to the other area where they are relatively safe.  This time was to be a different case.

had about 40-50 hunters and there was a trailor full of terriers and other dogs to push the game.

On the menu was any Fallow deer. all wild boar except for the leading female. all foxes were free as well.

we gathered into our separat line groups and off we went to be placed.

"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
Re: Drive hunt succes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
we were placed along a hillside that the drivers were supposed to push accross.

i was the second one to be placed and i got some pretty good shooting lanes underneath some oaks and an open orchard.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:19:13 AM »
The dogs chased a few Reh by.  some ran pretty close.  on jumped the fence about 15 feet away from me and saw me while she was mid flight and took a sharp left when she hit the ground and ran off the 20 foot legde  :o . saw her running a minute later so she didnt get hurt too bad. 

after the dogs quieted down, about 1100 i heard some shots from the guys posted on the end of the hill a couple hundred yards to my left. didnt think much of it till the guy immediatly to my left caught my attention with a nice big BOOOM.  look ed over to see a fox coming my way in a hurry. picked up my gun and took a shot at my 10 o clock from about 30 yards reloaded as he kept running and pulled the trigger again about myt 1 o clock at about 30 yards and thats when he began to do the doggy flip flop.  :IBCOOL:  i kept on him considering putting another bullet his way but he fliped behind a tree and made my decision for me to wait it out.

A litte while later i heard the dogs pick up on something to my right and i kept my attention that way until i saw a BIG PIG break out of the brush a couple hundred yards away and cross a clearing before reentering the brush follow by boom boom BOOOM BOOOM. someone out there had a flippin cannon and put it to use.  he nabbed the pig and i talked to him later to find he was shooting a double barrel 9.3x74, which is like a .366 375H&H.   

through the rest of the sit i heard various shots and saw several reh.

here are the animals from our line. the pig and my fox.

the pig was a good sized female. she was very mature as the females dont often have tusks visible over the lip. she was shot 3 or 4 times including 2 in the head/neck area. tough animals.
went up and found my fox, right behind the tree where he was supposed to be. pretty young. descent coat. going to make a nice mount. i'm happy with the shot as well being running 30 yards. love my new CZ.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:29:29 AM »
endeed up with two pigs 1 bacha and one keiler. 3 foxes. one shot in the face, one shot in the ass, and mine. there was one reh as well that got caught in a fence.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:30:44 AM »
the above waffen are from the keiler.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 09:35:21 AM »
Please, if you would...I would like to see a close-up picture of one of those horns.....I am interested in either making or buying one sometime.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »
Please, if you would...I would like to see a close-up picture of one of those horns.....I am interested in either making or buying one sometime.

see procrastination thread. left you a link.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »
I saw it, thanks
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:54:08 AM »
going back again next week. got angelface going with me too. this will be the wife's first drive hunt  :IBCOOL: 

there was the potential of dozens of pigs being shot today i was told. just gotta be in the right place at the right time.  they want the pig population nocked down before the farmers start planting crops again.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal