collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yakima Tent  (Read 7390 times)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Yakima Tent
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »
I ran into a bind, and needed to buy another wall tent.  A friend recommended Yakima Tent.  I called them yesterday and spoke with them for a while.  I ended up buying a 12x14 with a 10 ft frame extension for a cook shack.  The price seemed very low for all that was included.  Has anyone dealt with these people, and if so, what was your experience?  How was the quality?    
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:02:59 PM by MtnMuley »

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Yakima Tent
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
My father in law has bought a few from them. The last one he had lasted 20 years, used alot too. We just placed an order 2 weeks ago for a new one.

Did you order the 10 oz? Is your kitchen canvas or that poly material? We had our kitchen made out of the canvas this time.

They seem like a real good operation!

Offline sako223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:24 PM »
They have been in business at the same location for a very long time maybe 100 years. I think they used to make tents for cabelas at one time. I have purchased several items from them but never a tent.

Offline 300magman

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
I have heard really goood things about their products.
But just last week I purchased a 14X16 tent from Davis Tents in Colorado.
Tent,stove,all the pipe, two cots and two organizers for 1500.00. came with the angle pieces for the frame. (cut the pipe myself)

outstanding..........will try to post soem pics up sometime...............

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »
300 -- That's a very good price if it's all new!  Does that include shipping?

stickslinger -- I can't remember off the top of my head what material it was, but it was their best.  I just got the frame extention for the kitchen, as I have a good tarp that I use that's designed to roll up on one side if the weathers nice.  Less grease smell in the tent from the bacon fryin' that way! 

Offline Schwag173

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND YAKIMA TENT & AWNING!

I had borrowed wall tents for a few years before deciding to invest in one of my own.  My wife told me 'no problem' (yes, I chose well) so I drew up a custom design of wall tent with all the bells and whistles that I had come to desire.  Highest-grade canvas, 14'x16', expandable to 14'x24', stove jack, etc, etc, etc.  For my purposes, this tent design blows away anything commercially-made.

Then, I googled tent-makers and sent my design-specs out to about a dozen west of the Mississipi.  About eight showed interest and we talked via e-mail and/or phone.  One outfit in Calgary wanted about $6000.  Others refused to make anything other than their proprietary designs.  One outfit refused to incorporate the requested brass zippers, swearing that plastic zippers would stand up to any abuse or cold weather.  You get the idea.  Yakima and Davis (Denver, CO) were the two finalists and lowest bidders (under $1700).  I thanked Davis in no uncertain terms, but since Yakima happened to be only a two-hour drive away I could save a lot of shipping expense by picking it up myself.  I have been VERY happy with the tent and have used it (as intended) for a lot more than just late-season hunting in Idaho.

Yakima Tent & Awning is a class act all the way around.  I will buy from them again if I ever need to.  Also, a bit of trivia:  Yakima Tent & Awning made every piece of tentage seen in the movie Dances With Wolves:)     

Offline coriantonk

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
About 20 years ago my dad ordered a TeePee from them for the scout troop I was in.  It was extremly well put together.  It got alot of use and as far as I know it is still working just fine.  The biggest problem being the Scout Masters kid,  cutting and stripping teepee poles  :bash:
There's a reason they call it hunting, not killing.

Offline hawk eyes

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
i have heard alot of good about yakima tent im getting another 12x14 this spring and hook my old one with and use for cook shack

Offline Cascade_Sherpa

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
My brother and I bought a used one last year and had the absolute pleasure of staying for the entire elk season in it.  The weather started nice but by the end of the season we'd had just about every kind of rain, sleet, snow, wind, etc. that mother nature could dish out.  The tent stayed bone dry even though we didn't tarp the top, it was super comfy with just the two of us and appeared to be very well assembled. I'd buy another one from Yakima Tent, I was really impressed.

Offline leed

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »
I have dealt with Walt (the owner) for years. Latest 14X16 is 7 years old and use it several trips a year and has never torn yet and my partner is as rough on it as anyone could be!  5-STARS
You will be pleased.

Offline HenryM

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
Is this the same company that makes racks for suvs? I know I've seen Yakima racks for kayaks and bikes and didn't know if it's the same company. I've been looking for a clear span tent. I wonder if they have any?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:52:23 PM by HenryM »
Henry - I'd rather be hunting.

Offline mtndew

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »
I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND YAKIMA TENT & AWNING!

I had borrowed wall tents for a few years before deciding to invest in one of my own.  My wife told me 'no problem' (yes, I chose well) so I drew up a custom design of wall tent with all the bells and whistles that I had come to desire.  Highest-grade canvas, 14'x16', expandable to 14'x24', stove jack, etc, etc, etc.  For my purposes, this tent design blows away anything commercially-made.

Then, I googled tent-makers and sent my design-specs out to about a dozen west of the Mississipi.  About eight showed interest and we talked via e-mail and/or phone.  One outfit in Calgary wanted about $6000.  Others refused to make anything other than their proprietary designs.  One outfit refused to incorporate the requested brass zippers, swearing that plastic zippers would stand up to any abuse or cold weather.  You get the idea.  Yakima and Davis (Denver, CO) were the two finalists and lowest bidders (under $1700).  I thanked Davis in no uncertain terms, but since Yakima happened to be only a two-hour drive away I could save a lot of shipping expense by picking it up myself.  I have been VERY happy with the tent and have used it (as intended) for a lot more than just late-season hunting in Idaho.

Schwag, sounds like a great set up, got any pictures you could share?
One shot, one Deer. Two shots, maybe one Deer. Three shots, no Deer

Offline losdaddy7

• Longhunter
  • Groups: losdaddy7
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »
 :tup:
I purcased a 12X14 with and extra 12X10 cookshack from yakima 5 years ago.  My best hunting gear investment ever. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal