collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trapping test  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Grizzly95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Trapping test
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
I just downloaded the pdf and too it to office depot and had it printed into book form to start studying. You guys that have taken it, are there any certain sections to study more than others? How long is the test? I know I need to study the whole thing, just a little insight would be helpful. The gal at the Spokane office was very vague with info pertaining to the test. Is it just the test at the office I need to take to get my license. Not sure how much I will actually trap, just thought I would try it. You guys seem to enjoy it. Thanks.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Elkslayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
Re: Trapping test
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
Grizzly,
Ya pretty much need to study the whole book. Dont know if it has changed since I took it or not. Its been about ten years. But there were questions on about everything. I studied real hard for about two weeks then went in and took the test and only missed 2. Good luck!
"YOU MUST FACE YOUR CHALLENGES HEAD ON IN ORDER TO SUCCEED."

Offline Grizzly95

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »
Another thing, I am assuming that the the test will match the book and the book is dated 2004! Been a long time since I studied for a test. Plus I want to build my own traps, I am pretty handy when it comes to fabrication.

Thanks Elkslayer
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »
Another thing, I am assuming that the the test will match the book and the book is dated 2004! Been a long time since I studied for a test. Plus I want to build my own traps, I am pretty handy when it comes to fabrication.

Thanks Elkslayer
study it all well...

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »
There is a new book but I think everything is pretty much covered in the old one.  I dont think you will have any problems as long as you read it all.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
We completely rewrote the manual two years ago but WDFW has not seen fit to put it online yet :bash:
You'll probably be OK but if you want the new one call George Brady at (509)923-2326 or e-mail at cascadeb@televar.com and he'll send you one.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Grizzly95

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
Been reading the book every night, gotta say it seems a bit confusing without having pictures of the traps they are describing. It seems to mostly cover the animals that can be trapped and the statistics and habits of them. I think I need to find someone local to talk to and look at the setups they use of have. Anyone local that can give me a insight?

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
If it's anything like the test years ago, much of the info is body gripping traps, which are banned now.  A lot of good useful info, but not as modernized as it should be. 

Offline Grizzly95

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
That is what I was thinking also. I am only to about page 40 of 115, but I will admit it is somewhat confusing. A body gripping trap is any trap that holds the animal by foot or body part; right? You can only use live traps now; correct?

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
Correct as far as I know, but that may be changing, or have, on certain types of sets.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »
That is what I was thinking also. I am only to about page 40 of 115, but I will admit it is somewhat confusing. A body gripping trap is any trap that holds the animal by foot or body part; right? You can only use live traps now; correct?

You are correct. Do your self a favor and get the new manual. The test was changed to fit the new manual also.
If you don't need the license this year I would advise to take the class. Manual costs $10 but it is worth it. Lot of info in it that will help you out after you have taken the test.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Grizzly95

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( That upsets me, I went into the office here in Spokane and asked them if that was the correct manual (online), they said it was and that there are not any hard copies to just read the online version. I downloaded it to a disc and took it to Office Depot and had them print it and also got a binder for it.....$15!!! Why can't the people in the office get it straight? I thought it was funny that it said 2004 on the cover. I just figured that the trapping got less funding and updates than hunting or fishing. I really wanted to have my license this year as I have a line on an area with badgers and bobcat. I wanted to get my feet wet this year so I can be a little more serious about it next year, plus I figured more time in the woods not the bottle. Thanks for the info so far guys you are being very helpful.

Does anyone here build there own traps? I believe Machias had told me about building your own.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 08:09:10 PM »
theres ia a class in lacey...you will get your certificate there...I know its a way away

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
>:( >:( >:( That upsets me, I went into the office here in Spokane and asked them if that was the correct manual (online), they said it was and that there are not any hard copies to just read the online version. I downloaded it to a disc and took it to Office Depot and had them print it and also got a binder for it.....$15!!! Why can't the people in the office get it straight? I thought it was funny that it said 2004 on the cover. I just figured that the trapping got less funding and updates than hunting or fishing. I really wanted to have my license this year as I have a line on an area with badgers and bobcat. I wanted to get my feet wet this year so I can be a little more serious about it next year, plus I figured more time in the woods not the bottle. Thanks for the info so far guys you are being very helpful.

Does anyone here build there own traps? I believe Machias had told me about building your own.

Join the club if you are upset about the actions of WDFW. I have had people that asked at Olympia about trapping tell me they were told trapping is illegal and you couldn't get a license.
I already posted how you can get the new manual. WSTA prints them and we would be happy to send you one. George is going to be in Germany Oct 2 to the 17th. If you can't wait 'till he gets back call Alan Worrell and drop my name, Bruce Vandervort. You can find contact info for both George and Alan on the Trapper Education page of WDFW. It's easiest to navigate through our web-site watrappers.com We have the link for the page prominently displayed.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter