collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: POLARIS SPORTSMAN VS YAMAHA GRIZZLY  (Read 17292 times)

Offline PNWCOONASS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
POLARIS SPORTSMAN VS YAMAHA GRIZZLY
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:00:18 AM »
Hey guys, I have been interested in buying a quad here in the future.  Looking for some advice.  Good and bad experiences with both machines.  Reliability.  I'll mostly use it around the house and hunting camp.  Even though most of the area are gated off it would still be nice to have a quad to run the moutain roads and save that $4 plus gallon of diesel in the ole dodge. 

I have been able to figure out that the grizz is 8" taller and about 200 lbs lighter than the SPORt.

Beening a military man, I have always prefer to buy American made.  But the Grizz seems to be calling my name. 

can anyone help with one first hand experience.. Thanks Pete
GO NAVY!!  HMC Ret.   

Life is what you pour into it.  Have a beer.

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
Re: POLARIS SPORTSMAN VS YAMAHA GRIZZLY
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
Owned nothing but Polaris and haven't had any problems at all, got a 700, 500, 400 and a 325.  There used to be a problem with the clutch getting toasted when fording deep water, they have solve that since 2001.  The Griz is a great machine also, buddy had his, plenty of power, now with the power steering, I think they will be hard to beat.  Bad thing about the Griz is they roll easier!!!! :chuckle:  See attached photos, but we still drove it out 26 miles to the trailer....  Although the insurance company totalled it, everything was bent on the bottom side.......  For full out performance and warranty new the Can Am (Bombier) 800 is the most impressive machine I've been on.  Power that is not compared by anything else out there and three year warranty.

Slenk

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
I have to agree with cohoho on the Can Am (Bombier) wife's nephew has one . We ride Hondas and one of our sons had a Yamaha . We can hill side where he couldn't begin to go.
Slenk

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
 My buddies have Grizzlys, One guy has a Polaris, I have a King Quad. They are really all about the same. I have noticed the Polaris rides rougher. If you maintain them they all last forever. We ride more for just fun than anything else, they get rode pretty hard.

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
I love the new Griz!  Dad has a 98 Sportsman 500 that we have taken everywhere!  Now mostly use it on the property.  I am still using an ATC350X to get to and fro if not using boot leather.

The Can-Am is by far the best out there, but also ridiculously expensive!
- Scott

Offline Elkslayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
I have the Sportsman 700. Bought it new in 2004 and have not had a single problem with it. Its like actionshooter said if they are well maintained they will last forever. My bro-in-law has the CAN-AM 800 and yes they do perform well however I dont think they are built as well. He was riding about 25MPH or so and hit a stump with the front tire while going around a corner. Rolled the wheeler and bent the frame as well. In my opinion the frame should have held up better than it did. "JMO"
"YOU MUST FACE YOUR CHALLENGES HEAD ON IN ORDER TO SUCCEED."

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »
did a rifle get crunched in that rollover cohoho?? looks kinda like one did on the front but not sure.

Offline klickriverchromer

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 05:54:08 PM »
I work on Yamaha,Polaris,Honda,Arctic Cat, 4 wheelers and would say out of the 4 I'd personally ride the Grizzly 700 w/the pwr.steer.assist option.  Throw a winch on and some wheels w/meats on her.  just my opinion.  there are lots of customers who prefer to ride the Polaris or ArcticCat, the Honda is a very good machine, but spendy compaired to the other three we carry.  the Polaris RZR (razor) 800 EFI is alotta fun aswell as the Rhino 700 EFI.  Side x Side's
Work sucks!!!! I should be shed hunting

Offline Bookworm

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
The wife and I both have the Kodiak's. With the IRS and a winch with some good tires they will go anywhere. I don't know anyone in my area that has a Polaris, everyone rides Yamaha's.

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:58:06 PM »
A 10/22 got snapped in half and the big gun he had in the scabbard was not scratched somehow?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal