collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eagle Lake Ranch-Goose 19th  (Read 829 times)

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
Eagle Lake Ranch-Goose 19th
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
 :) My wife and I got up early and had a great breakfast in the lodge, which was included in the 'package' price if you are staying there. I am fond of pancakes (food!), and these were top notch in my book. The bacon was thick and flavorful as well. Plenty of coffee! We met up with our guide 'Tony' and headed out after some spirited conversation amongst the guides discussing who was where and what was going on. We followed him to a field and helped haul and set up the decoys with his direction on what he wanted where. The snow blind we helped set up was unique, inexpensive, and very effective. He was very clear in his directions and gave us tips on the set up and what he expected to happen. I have seen some good callers, and I will say Tony is easily among the best I have ever seen. It was a joy to watch and hear him work his magic on the geese. He insisted on us watching the birds so we could see what he was doing and how the birds reacted to the different calls he was making, all while explaining why he was giving a particular call. This was an excellent learning experience for us! We had great fun in between birds with much laughter and talk ranging from recipes to dogs. We ended up with six geese, split between lessers and honkers. Tony was ready to keep going to get the other two but we needed to get on the road. Once again, if we had hit all he put within range we would have been finished hours before, but we would have missed out on the excellent conversation of the last part of the day. We skipped the included lunch to save some road time, though I am sure it would have been as good as the other meals we had. The staff was friendly and professional at the lodge, and they will be our first choice the next time we decide to do a guided hunt. In short, we had a really good time!  :hello:
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal