collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winston and Toutle Access?  (Read 6377 times)

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Winston and Toutle Access?
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »
Winston and Toutle Access?
Thanks CavemantheHunter, this would be access for the Winston Unit Only!!!

I plan on hunting one of these units early archery for Deer and Elk, so yes this will be a meat hunt! With the information that I have received on how good the hunting is and how packed it is with hunters I plan to harvest my first Elk, most likely a Cow with a bow this year! Since I didn't get drawn for any of the six applications that I put in, I have been advised to look at different units. Most of my research has been through this forum through you guys, and with other hunters and friends. I have been working on my Elk calls and studying the Winston and Toutle area and I am very excited to use what I have been working on for the last few months, but I am stumped on how to access these units and how to get away from the crowds this coming this season. 

I am wanting to camp down there for about a week and I am looking for place to pull up a 36’ trailer, any suggestions? I am also looking for some access points to hit the unit away from the crowds, any suggestions on where to start?

Yes, I do read about all the bashing form others about how everyone is always asking for where to go and not wanting your honey hole!! Well, I have been very apprehensive about asking you guys, but would like to get some information so that I can continue my research to find that access that I'm needing to be successful this year.  Thanks, iRem

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:42:59 AM by iRem »

Offline CavemantheHunter

• Scout
Re: Winston and Toutle Access?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:43 AM »
If you did not get drawn for a special permit, then you cannot hunt the Toutle area. Winston Creek is a great area though, always chase elk around in there.

Offline kalamasasquatch

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
all depends on how much effort you wanna put out. i hunt the winston and have killed 6 elk in 8 years 4 being bulls and 1 making the book last year all archery.

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:49 AM »
Well, I don't know what I was thinking, I must of been looking at it for deer but want to do both at the same time!!  I know if I don't get a deer I'll be taking a doe from another unit on the way home..  Looks like the Winston Unit all the way. I have been instructed that I will have to put in the work, but that's not a problem. I plan on taking my mountain bike with trailer with us and hope to use it. Thanks for your help, iRem

Offline Carnivore

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »
Camping is very limited there also.  With a trailer that size you will almost have to pay to stay at one of the campgrounds and drive to the gate where you will bike in.  Lots of good country if you are willing to get out of the truck.  Most of the area is gated for archery and a lot of people park at the gates and walk or bike in.

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
I'll try and find a campground in the area, hopefully somewhere I can get to and from easily. I AM NOT A ROAD HUNTER. I have the patience to sit, spot and stock and do what ever I need to in order to be successful at harvesting game. I am looking forward to putting in the work and having it pay off, access?

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
Try the campground at Kid Valley.Get your reservations in early.You may get lucky.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Have you ever fished Drano for springers?  That is what hunting the Winston unit.  Yes, lots of elk and some nice bulls,  but way to many hunters.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline blacktailcrzy

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
i drew a January antler less tag for that unit  dose any one know a good wintering area for cows there i am looking to fill the freezer and have little experience in that area and never in January a pm or just a good post will help alot thanks

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »
In a related question are there any camping areas for tent camping other than the Kid Valley campground?  Either side North or south.

Offline blacktailcrzy

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 01:29:48 AM »
i drew a January antler less tag for that unit  dose any one know a good wintering area for cows there i am looking to fill the freezer and have little experience in that area and never in January a pm or just a good post will help alot thanks

:dunno: any help would be grate  :dunno:

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
In a related question are there any camping areas for tent camping other than the Kid Valley campground?  Either side North or south.

Possibly Seaquest state park or a couple other parks near silver lake.  Seems like there may be a campground up Winston crk rd up by Mayfield lake. Barrier dam campground.  Mossyrock park does have camp areas.Some of these may be a short drive to your area.I'll se if I can think of any others.

Have seen tents et up in some of the old turnouts to logging rds up 505.Not supposed to but its tolerated in some places.

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:23:40 AM »

:dunno: any help would be grate  :dunno:

The whole unit is a good area.It doesnt get enough snow to really have wintering areas.Most of the elk in there are year round residents.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »
Is the new DNR access pass going to be required for the DNR portions of the Winston unit?

Offline windygorge

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »
If you hunt south try looking at Cougar RV park for camping

cougar rv is no where near winston unit.   :bdid: :dunno:
"God gave you the gift of life, you owe it to God to give your best performance"

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon"

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal