collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619706 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Washington Wolf Sightings - Report Here
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
Also, I was under the impression that the wolves in the Wenaha had achieved "pack" status. There was one killed on the Oregon side last fall though so maybe that pack has too few wolves now to be officially designated as a "pack".

Being a confirmed pack has nothing to do with # of wolves. Breeding pairs is a better terminology than pack. There has to be evidence of breeding. The trailcam pics of the lactating female in the Teanaway was the meat and potatoes that made that pack a valid or "confirmed" pack or breeding pair. The breeding pair term is the meat and potatoes. Everybody blasts the WDFW for this but I suspect it's a USFWS thing and not a state thing.
I'm not sure if the Wenaha pack is an actual pack on the Oregon side but if it is then it's an Oregon pack and not  a Washington pack.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CedarPants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
I'm not sure if the Wenaha pack is an actual pack on the Oregon side but if it is then it's an Oregon pack and not  a Washington pack.

With free reign to come kill Washington elk whenever they want because unless they have a den here they aren't "ours" :bash:

Offline 10heiau

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/Wolves/wenaha_wolf_pack.asp

If this isn't meat and potatoes enough then I don't know what is. Yeah, yeah Oregon I know. As far as I'm concerned, if they're in the Wenaha, they might as well be Washington wolves too. Last I heard, wolves don't pay much attention to state lines.  :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
Last I heard, wolves don't pay much attention to state lines.  :dunno:

Agreed...I think you'd have a hard time convincing everyone of that though, especially the guys that don't think they can walk here from Canada or Idaho or Oregon. Apparently the only way is in a truck.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »
saw 2 around the nw border of 166 & 162 a couple years ago while turk hunting. was putting down this little road & 5 elk busted across the road, through the barb wire fence & stoped in the field about 40 yrds out, turned & looked( i had assumed at me). couldent get the camera out before they busted again into the next tree line. couple hundred yards up the road & these 2 wolves cross in front of me. i stopped & went WTF??. about 1/4 mile down the road i ran into a land owner tending fence & stoped to ask about hunting his property. as the discussion went on i mentioned what i had just seen & he  calmly said , oh- there back like it was a common ordeal. that fall while elk hunting 166 we ran into a forest service guy that was overseeing the thinning along the road. he said he had seen a few & also witnessed them chasing elk. last season, in the middle of the night we were awoke by what i believe was a lone howl from the end of the ridge we camped on. again in 166.

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »
GMU 121.  Late April of 2008 while turkey hunting.  West out of Springdale on the east side of Mt. Empey, bout halfway to the top.  Lone gray/dirty white colored wolf, all 3 of us saw it at the same time about 100 yards slightly uphill from us.  This was no yote and this was no dog, all of us will swear to that.  As soon as it spotted us it bolted northwest and uphill into the thick timber.

Offline CavemantheHunter

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
2006 - Chiliwist (Yockey Creek) - three mile hike from an old crushed rock road. Two adult wolves (one black, one white) playing together near the edge of a meadow on the top of a ridge. I was sitting on a rock on the top of the ridge at midday with my dad during deer season, resting, and getting ready to eat lunch when we saw movement at the treeline about 150 yards out at the bottom of the ridge. Put our binoculars on it and watched them for about 2 minutes, clear as day, two large wolves, one pure black and one mostly white, playing at the bottom of the clearing. We were well above them and out of sight and smell, so they never spotted us. I never even knew there were wolves up there at that point and I have never seen wolves up there since, but I have ran into two bears in that same area.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
Thanks for everyones help, keep the info coming, every sighting reported helps to substantiate that there must be wolves in a GMU. I will keep the first post updated as new reports come in. This information will undoubtedly be helpful in the future. Remember to get pictures of anything wolf related.  :tup:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:33:13 PM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
Just a little correction for the OP GMU 224 is Pearrygin not Boulder. Not trying to step on any toes just trying to keep everything accurate for when we have to use it.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »
Just a little correction for the OP GMU 224 is Pearrygin not Boulder. Not trying to step on any toes just trying to keep everything accurate for when we have to use it.

It might be confusing, I listed the unit number and then an area for a possible name for a pack, some are specific local areas rather than the unit names.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »

It might be confusing, I listed the unit number and then an area for a possible name for a pack, some are specific local areas rather than the unit names.

Ok gotcha.  :tup:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
Smackout Pack Confirmed

Just finished a phone call with a local rancher.

My son and I have been watching and reporting about the wolves in GMU 111 there were two groups all winter using the same areas in the unit. One group of two stayed just above Ione on the east side, the other group lives near Smackout Meadows on the west side of Smackout Pass. Brian has had them howl back before, but they did not answer back when I have been there. We have recieved comments doubting our claims of these wolves.

(Last year another local person got a trailcam picture of a black wolf just a few miles from this same area.)

We had warned a local rancher who runs cattle in the area that we were seeing tracks and so he has been watching closely. In June he just started putting his cattle out on pasture, recently he and his wife were repairing fence because his cattle have been run through fences several times during June, they heard a wolf howl a ways off in the woods, so (not really expecting anything to happen) he howls at the wolf, within seconds the wolf howls back and its closer, it howls a couple more times as it comes closer, within a few minutes they can hear the wolf moving in the brush within yards of them, they jumped in their rig and got the **** out of there.

There is a spot Brian had told me looked like an area the wolves would like to den above the meadows. He is extremely familiar with wolves having lived around them in central Idaho. The rancher told me he has heard at least two different wolves howling together right in there this summer. So he and his son rode in there looking for the wolves. They had a wolf circling and barking at them as they rode through there, they also spotted three pups in the area.

The rancher called the WDFW who pulled a trapper out of the selkirk area to come monitor these wolves. So far the trapper has caught, took dna, tagged one pup, and released it. He couldn't put a collar on the pup as it was too small for a collar.

So far the ranchers cattle have been run through several fences and spend most of their time grouped up in the meadows rather than spreading out like normal. I told him the wolves are prey testing his cattle and he knows it too. I also told him that I was afraid he may be the next rancher in the news with wolf losses, he knows that too.

I have to commend the rancher for trying to do everything the right way. The only thing he expects in return is that WDFW properly document these wolves, comes up with a reasonable management plan, that his cattle can be protected, and that his losses are recoverable.

WDFW now has proof this pack exists, they are trying to catch more of the wolves, and they have trailcams out, this will be interesting to see how long it is before the WDFW releases info about this now "confirmed" wolf pack to the public. I also wonder how many more packs around the state they know about, but are not releasing the info to the public. :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:39:06 AM by bearpaw »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
Thats awesome work.

Our own "prey testing" of the WDFW.  I know damn good and well they know about some of these other packs but haven't realeased any info on them.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
I added the 3 pups to the official H-W Wolf tally, we are now at 92 wolves in Washington. The rancher told me they think there are more than 3 pups, but we will have to wait for more info to know exactly how many there are.

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 12:08:12 PM »
Last I heard, wolves don't pay much attention to state lines.  :dunno:

Agreed...I think you'd have a hard time convincing everyone of that though, especially the guys that don't think they can walk here from Canada or Idaho or Oregon. Apparently the only way is in a truck.

You seem to bring it up alot, lets play devils advocate. If WDFW or the USDFW were caught doing it what would happen to them, legally I mean? What could happen? What if another NGO were caught?
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw