collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619650 times)

Offline akirkland

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Washington Wolf Sightings - Estimated Count now at 92
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
A buddy and i saw a wolf 4 years ago on the north side of Mt. Adams. We were just west of the crest trail, between Killen Creek and Muddy Meadows. Gauranteed wolf sighting. No if ands or buts! Other members in our hunting party saw the tracks as well. Also, most wont believe me but there have been sightings of wolves in SE Pierce county. Very worthy and trusted source. Not the kind of guy to BS. Rumor has it a land owner has killed one in the last year or so. Supposedly it was turned over to WDFW.

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »
GMU 124 - Mt Spokane    - 1 or more - Several people report sightings south of Newport

Any specific locations south of Newport that seem to be hotspots?  I spend a lot of time in the Spring Valley area just south of Newport and along the Idaho border - haven't personally seen any wolves but have been seeing track and scat the past couple seasons(most recently this past turkey season).  Coincidentally, I've also been seeing a lot more elk in the area as well.  Interesting ....

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
This last winter, a Warden was working with a hound guy, reportedly using hounds to locate wolves, then using a weapon similar to a dart gun that instead of injecting something, actually pinched off some DNA and falls to the ground.  They used snow machines to access the areas west and south of Kentry Ridge.  I saw them park there and unload many times, but never stopped and bothered them, but others did, and this second hand info is what was passed on to me.   The hound guy is local, Bearpaw, you may know him, not sure, but he lives off Breckinridge road.  Several people around here saw as many as 5 wolves together in the lands from Orin/Rice to Addy/Gifford.  A few of the folks called in and the old story of hybrids on the loose was once again WDFWs response.  Wife and I saw a lone wolf off Beck road 3 winters ago, and there was no doubt about what it was......upon talking with a neighbor, he was stunned, as he heard of similar sightings in the same area from 3 other neighbors.

I could go on, but apparent lack of honesty by local wardens makes me wonder if they will/can ever acknowledge true numbers and locations.......there is an agenda here, just havent quite figured out what it is.  Russ

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
Some buddies of mine swear they saw one a few years back on the border of Nile and bumping units.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »
This last winter, a Warden was working with a hound guy, reportedly using hounds to locate wolves, then using a weapon similar to a dart gun that instead of injecting something, actually pinched off some DNA and falls to the ground.  They used snow machines to access the areas west and south of Kentry Ridge.  I saw them park there and unload many times, but never stopped and bothered them, but others did, and this second hand info is what was passed on to me.   The hound guy is local, Bearpaw, you may know him, not sure, but he lives off Breckinridge road.  Several people around here saw as many as 5 wolves together in the lands from Orin/Rice to Addy/Gifford.  A few of the folks called in and the old story of hybrids on the loose was once again WDFWs response.  Wife and I saw a lone wolf off Beck road 3 winters ago, and there was no doubt about what it was......upon talking with a neighbor, he was stunned, as he heard of similar sightings in the same area from 3 other neighbors.

I could go on, but apparent lack of honesty by local wardens makes me wonder if they will/can ever acknowledge true numbers and locations.......there is an agenda here, just havent quite figured out what it is.  Russ

Russ thanks for your post, I have been hoping others would step forward to report some of these wolves in Huckleberry and other areas. I know exactly which dogger has been collecting dna for WDFW, but to my knowledge he is only collecting cougar dna from treed cougar for an ongoing cougar study. But there are many reports of these wolves in Huckleberry. According to neighbors, there were several wolf hybrids turned loose by a private party in the Kentry area, but there was also a full blooded wolf hit on the HWY near Nine Mile, so in my honest opinion I think we have both hybrids and wild wolves in Huckleberry. I think it's more likely that sightings in the south end of the county are wild wolves, I think the hybrids have stayed pretty close to their home place on the orin-rice road as neighbors in the area still have been seeing them fairly regularly. We as well as others have seen tracks near Monumental, Kentry, and Summit Valley. Numerous other people have reported tracks and sightings near Hunters, Fruitland, Springdale, and Nine Mile.

If you know others who have seen wolves, please encourage them to post their sightings on here, or perhaps you can do it for them. Only by drawing attention to these wolves can we hope that WDFW will eventually confirm them.
Thanks, Dale
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
I did forget to mention that they said they were collecting cougar dna, which in itsself seemed a bit odd, even more so since they were parking adjacent to one of the fields the wolves had been seen running across a mere couple of days before.  R

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »
I posted this in a topic below but I'll put it in here for use to make sure..... This was a few years ago in 368 Cowichie below Eagle's Nest..... Dad and I were on a side hill eating lunch and taking a nap in the sun.... For some reason I woke up and saw an all black yote below us on a game trail.... I woke Dad up and he got ready for the shot.... At 150 yds it stopped with it's front feet on a log staring into the timber... Told Dad the range and pick my binocs up for the shot.... Right before Dad was gonna let one go I told him not to shoot.... That wasn't a coyote.... It was at least twice the size of a yote, huge head, and all black.... As we were discussing what we just saw it couldn't have been more then a couple minutes after the wolf went into the thick timber.... Elk bust out of the timber in all directions..... I got lucky and shot a spike from the herd..... When we got down to the game trail the wolf was on it's tracks were huge..... Nothing like a little yote track..... And in all the yotes I've seen and shot I've never seen an all black yote.....  This was ML elk season.... We have no pics or proof..... Forgot my camera at camp.... But I swear that wasn't a coyote!!!! Wild dog????? Very unlikely IMO!!!! 

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
Re: Report Washington Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated Count now at 92
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Found members most likely of the Lookout pack this winter (roughly March) in the Alta unit near the Golden Doe wildlife refuge. We had a friend hiking with us with a jack russel terrier and the wolf started howling in the fog. The fog cleared and about 200 yards away up on the ridgeline was a single wolf. We took pictures and video through the spotting scope.

Link to video on youtube: http://youtu.be/LN3Du87aehY
(sorry this was a failed attempt to upload a video to this site)

I have also heard from a reliable resource of two other wolf sightings: one near the southwestern portion of the Loop Highway (Lower Beaver Creek area) this winter. Two adults.

Last winter I heard another sighting on the North Shore of Lake Chelan across from the state park near 25 mile. The individual was using a spotting scope to look at deer when he spotted a single wolf. So I suppose this is the Manson GMU.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »
Found members most likely of the Lookout pack this winter (roughly March) in the Alta unit near the Golden Doe wildlife refuge. We had a friend hiking with us with a jack russel terrier and the wolf started howling in the fog. The fog cleared and about 200 yards away up on the ridgeline was a single wolf. We took pictures and video through the spotting scope.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="
frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(sorry this is my first time trying to upload a video)

I have also heard from a reliable resource of two other wolf sightings: one near the southwestern portion of the Loop Highway (Lower Beaver Creek area) this winter. Two adults.

Last winter I heard another sighting on the North Shore of Lake Chelan across from the state park near 25 mile. The individual was using a spotting scope to look at deer when he spotted a single wolf. So I suppose this is the Manson GMU.
just think about the ones no one seen yet ...that looks like a big one too !!! heard one howling up Twisp River road ...around North Cr ....

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »
Nile... up by Clover Springs, windy ridge, just after the trail to Flat Iron lake.  Never saw any but followed tracks for a bit.  2009
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »
2010, GMU 335 Taneum, up on Elk Heights... both heard 3+ and saw two at about 300 yards...didnt have big eyes so no positive ID but too big and dark for 'yotes.  They were running along the canyon heading into the timber like they were chasing something.

I was up there Scouting for Turkey...since 2008 i have watched the Turkey population plummet.  This year in a long weekend I found NO turkeys, just some isolated bunches of scattered feathers in the woods.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »
Nooksack GMU 418, walked in an old loggin road about 3-4 miles... heard howls... late evening.  On way out found this right next to my boot track I made on the way in.  I'll just say it was down a very well hunted gatedx road, about 3-4 miles past the gate, which is way past the main line gate.  "Tree farm". 
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
After a lengthy conversation with a biologist about wolves in the Nooksack a member here sent me these 2 pics taken in the Nooksack... Biologist says they are "hybrids"....

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
After a lengthy conversation with a biologist about wolves in the Nooksack a member here sent me these 2 pics taken in the Nooksack... Biologist says they are "hybrids"....
   Glad to see that someone else has either seen or come across tracks of wolves in the nooksack .. I used to hunt up on Baldy religiously and seen tracks all the time ... Mainly coming in from Grandy side ....obvisiously this picture is on the nooksack ......

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 01:10:17 PM »
Plus there has been sightings on Washington Pass So how many more have not been discovered !!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]